What progress looks like in year 3 for Mario?

Ok, then by your rules Mario was a few plays away from being undefeated this season. Again, I’m waiting until year 3 to make a personal decision on Mario. We knew he was a coach that would mean a rebuild, not a quick turnaround. I’m not defending Mario’s blunders thus far, but he has 1 more season before I write him off. To each their own.
Yes!! You're starting to get the point.

But why wait till year 3? No coach to win a championship the last 40 years needed that long to turn a team around and look like a contender(3 exceptions Lou Holtz, Bill McCartney, Ruben Edwards)[BGCOLOR=initial]. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]40 years of coaches that didn't have the portal and won with the previous regimes loser players.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Mario has already flipped the roster. He took a winning team and turned it into a losing team. He followed up a 10th best conference record with another 10th best conference record. He's doing it with a talented roster. He's not good coach.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]But if you stipulate to the facts I guess we can agree to disagree on when he should be sacked. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]I'll be waiting for you over here. [/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
Forgive me your memory must be foggy. If you go back and look you'll see a few plays separate Manny and 10-2.

It was a valiant effort on your part to try and make the point about anything but Marios failures.

Put Mario up against any Miami coach this century and you will find him wanting. His record is a failure. His tough persona is hubris and bravado. You have been pushed into a world where playing close games shows progress. Where progress is the goal. Results don't matter.

Enjoy your meal
View attachment 266893
Again, answer my question. What good teams did Mannys squad ever play close? And using your logic we are a couple plays away from being 11-0 with 4-5 top 20 games and 2 top 10. Go back to the Gator board.

Again, answer my question. What good teams did Mannys squad ever play close? And using your logic we are a couple plays away from being 11-0 with 4-5 top 20 games and 2 top 10. Go back to the Gator board.
SmartSelect_20231119_110612_Video Player.gif

Advertisement
It will be a successful season with a couple heartbreaks. I think we lose the season opener to UF, but then we run the table until the final regular season game, and inexplicably lose to a 2 win Syracuse and miss the acc championship game. But we get a really bowl game. So that's progress.

Advertisement
Progress for me would be Mario not stepping foot in hard rock stadium all season next year.

I will compromise and allow him to hang out in golden cane area with unlimited cafecitos. But no where near the field.

That’s my only measure of progress. Keep the caveman as far away from this team on gameday as possible.

There are 9 HC getting paid more than Mario. 5 of those have made the playoff/won chips (Kirby, Saban, Dabo, Kelly, Day). The others are Kiffin, Heupel, Rhule. Nebraska and Miami are the only outliers. It looks like Harbaugh and Franklin make less than Mario (I think Harbaugh has incentives that he will hit and make more).
Mario is the 14th highest paid coach according to https://frontofficesports.com/who-are-highest-paid-college-football-coaches/

He beat two coaches thats above him Dani & Jimbo head to head 😂😂😂😂

How people like ****boy @mcnaire2004 aren’t remembering how bad Manny was is beyond me.
Dude, Mario would have to win 12 ACC games in a row just to tie Manny’s overall wins in conference at Miami during his tenure, Manny was 17-12, Mario is 5-10. What is so hard to understand about this. The numbers do not lie.

Manny coaches circles around Cristobal, which is hard to fathom, since Manny was no world beater as a HC. But at least he made changes and got the fugg out the way. Mario makes changes only to run the same insane scheme, and keeps making the same bone headed errors game after game and season after season. He’s been a HC for 12 seasons, not just 1 or 2.

Dude, Mario would have to win 12 ACC games in a row just to tie Manny’s overall wins in conference at Miami during his tenure, Manny was 17-12, Mario is 5-10. What is so hard to understand about this. The numbers do not lie.

Manny coaches circles around Cristobal, which is hard to fathom, since Manny was no world beater as a HC. But at least he made changes and got the fugg out the way. Mario makes changes only to run the same insane scheme, and keeps making the same bone headed errors game after game and season after season. He’s been a HC for 12 seasons, not just 1 or 2.
Listen, for all the crap Manny got and the way The U stabbed him in the back, he was more effective in his first 2 years! The U put on love shades and overpaid for Cristomoron an average coach with great recruiting skills! This WILL END BADLY!

Advertisement
No answers of course.
Fans like you make this program accept mediocrity.

Manny sucked. Stop comparing Mario f^cking Cristobal to Manny Diaz or any of our predecessors in terms of expectations. That’s pathetic and Mario is getting paid considerably more to put out a better product. We did not fire Manny to hire Manny 2.0. We hired Mario under the assumption we’d win double-digit games (or at least 9) and pull in Top 5-7 recruiting classes.

With that being said…

Manny first two seasons: 14-10
Mario first two seasons: 11-12

Manny first two ACC seasons: 11-6
Mario first two ACC seasons: 5-10

Manny against FSU first two seasons: 2-0
Mario against FSU first two seasons: 0-2

Manny against ranked opponents first two seasons: 2-4

2019: Loss vs #8 Florida, win vs. #20 UVA
2020: Win vs. #18 Louisville, loss vs #1 Clemson, loss vs. #17 UNC, loss vs. #18 Ok St (bowl game)

Mario against ranked opponents first two seasons: 1-4

2022: loss vs. #24 Texas A&M, loss vs. #9 Clemson
2023: win vs. #23 Texas A&M, loss to #12 UNC, loss to #5 FSU, loss to #10 Louisville

Improvement? Not so much. But keep telling yourself losing close games means we’ll be back shortly.

If Mario loses to UF week 1, I’d fire his ***. But that won’t happen…so the alternative is go 9-3 + a bowl win for a 10-win season, or he’s a dead man walking here. 8-4 doesn’t cut it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It blows my mind that some of you long for the days of Manny Díaz, and somehow think he had the program on a better track. Are you all forgetting the 20+ point losses to any team that had a pulse? Boat raced by Bama, Clemson, Duke, UNC? Losing to an all time terrible FSU team on 4th and 14? Lost to Florida? Middling recruiting classes stacked with divas more concerned about their IG captions than actual playing time? Losing to FIU in year 3? 6-7, 8-3, and 7-5 records overall? Dancing on the sidelines down big? Complete lack of physicality?

Do I think Mario’s done a great job here? Absolutely not. I give him a C+ at this point, due to recruiting and having a team that doesn’t give up. Last year they gave up a ton, now they don’t. There’s also been some clear progress at multiple positions. It’s not good enough, but it sure as **** is a lot more hopeful that whatever Manny had going on here. TBD if Mario works out, but Jesus were already on a better track than Manny.

With who is most likely leaving and no clear replacements for them yet I'd say Vegas sets the line at 8.5 next year.

I see no reason why that line won’t be 7.5 (again).

Going to be one of those two. Mario will find a way to Corch a Loss or two. Just need to beat the Gaytors and i'll be happy with 8 wins next year.

Advertisement
Back