What people are not saying about Clemson

Advertisement
I think one of the things people need to remember about the Venables v Lashlee match up is that while he may have seen this offense before he has never coached against a Lashlee team with as much talent as Miami has. We have 2 stud TE's, 3 very good running backs, three decent wide receivers and an outstanding quarterback who knows this system and flourishes in it. While I have enormous respect for Clemson I think they will struggle against this offense.

I think one of the things people need to remember about the Venables v Lashlee match up is that while he may have seen this offense before he has never coached against a Lashlee team with as much talent as Miami has. We have 2 stud TE's, 3 very good running backs, three decent wide receivers and an outstanding quarterback who knows this system and flourishes in it. While I have enormous respect for Clemson I think they will struggle against this offense.
He coached against a Joe Brady (current NFL OC) LSU team and gave up 45. So he's not exactly a novice.

Advertisement
Seems to me that King’s ability to run can make it very difficult to cover our TEs

football junkies, amirite?

They may try to situationally bracket Jordan but it's not like they can do it the entire game. King will eat them up with his legs and we can find our backs out of the backfield, and Mallory too if thats the route they go. We will have our chances to find our elite players in favorable matchups, we just have to execute when we get them.

Not discussing Clemson weak schedule either. Louisville defensive rankings better than Va. It goes both ways. If some think our schedule so weak look at facts. Theirs, so far,, is weaker.

Last edited:
They may try to situationally bracket Jordan but it's not like they can do it the entire game. King will eat them up with his legs and we can find our backs out of the backfield, and Mallory too if thats the route they go. We will have our chances to find our elite players in favorable matchups, we just have to execute when we get them.
I agree with you - their hope will be that King won’t be able to diagnose quick enough when Brevin is being bracketed or they are disguising 1on1 coverage.

Good that we already know our sidelines are watching and Lashlee is communicating tendencies in real-time with pre-snap “check-wit-me”.

It’s nice to be hopeful because your OC and QB are mentally sharp and on the same page

Advertisement
There is a reason why they had Lawrence and Etienne come back.
The rest of that team while talented, is too inexperienced to mask the drop off in talent of those 2 leaving. That team right now would be talented but not at a playoff caliber if Lawrence and Etienne had declared.

I was very optimistic with what I saw uva do. But I’m not that good of an xo guy to say that Clemson showed everything they have on offense. And maybe they weren’t as aggressive on the line without their best tackle on the field.

But make no mistake that the line would be less than 5 points without those two players on that team.

I watch the Clemson against Virginia and some of my observations you will see play out in this game. Starting with their safety position steady but not Elite,Plays can be made on them. Cornerbacks that took advantage of bad passes. And also was covering guys,who do not run 4.5 or 4.4 speed. Linebackers below-average, against our running back speed, will not be able to cover. Defensive line created pressure off and on. Only when linebackers were blitzing they got some pressure. Offensive line average, not a lot of experience. Wide receivers were not spectacular but effective. Quarterback no complaints and also with their leading running back. They made plays. And that's why Miami has a chance to beat them
Their secondary wasn't that good in 17, jt4 got behind them on our 1st series and cager was doing decent in that 1st quarter, had we been able to have Ahmon and herndon for that game, would been a different story. All brent veneables is, is a decent d-co, I never understood the hype behind him even when he was at Oklahoma, all those high scoring games, who was he stopping. Also, FSU under gumbo fisher gave em consistent problems, they just finally had deshawn watson as a junior or senior outscore em.

But with the way things are going, we're not to far off from restoring order to college football. This blake baker guy is either on the cusp of getting better or he's plateaued ands to find another spot for em.

Advertisement
Remember Clemson will gameplan for us differently than they would UVA. It’s not a we only do this type of D.

We SHOULD though see the DL struggle to rush the passer but be stout vs the run and the LBs are ok and could be had a few different ways. Expect seam routes and heavy RPO to test them. The real game comes down to how many stops can we get on that supremely talented offense
Lsu shut that **** down! I'm gonna watch that game. Never watched it last year.

I watch the Clemson against Virginia and some of my observations you will see play out in this game. Starting with their safety position steady but not Elite,Plays can be made on them. Cornerbacks that took advantage of bad passes. And also was covering guys,who do not run 4.5 or 4.4 speed. Linebackers below-average, against our running back speed, will not be able to cover. Defensive line created pressure off and on. Only when linebackers were blitzing they got some pressure. Offensive line average, not a lot of experience. Wide receivers were not spectacular but effective. Quarterback no complaints and also with their leading running back. They made plays. And that's why Miami has a chance to beat them
So your observation outside their qb and rb, they’re an average team? Smdh

Advertisement
Is it just me or is this literally what all the respected OGs on this board have been saying all week? No hate OP since the media hasn’t mentioned any of this in the first few weeks of the season

You must not listen to many podcasts because this has been talked about with Clemson quite a bit. Concerns with safety , lb , wr and ol. They don’t have their normal amount of talented athletes at those positions. Their ol normally has a ton of snaps together. Also plenty of the media thinks we’ll give them a run. Actually most of the predictions I see is it being a close game.

Talent wise this isn’t close to Clemson 2017-18.

Last edited:
There is a reason why they had Lawrence and Etienne come back.
The rest of that team while talented, is too inexperienced to mask the drop off in talent of those 2 leaving. That team right now would be talented but not at a playoff caliber if Lawrence and Etienne had declared.

I was very optimistic with what I saw uva do. But I’m not that good of an xo guy to say that Clemson showed everything they have on offense. And maybe they weren’t as aggressive on the line without their best tackle on the field.

But make no mistake that the line would be less than 5 points without those two players on that team.
Lawrence is a Junior, where else was he going to go?

Advertisement
Back