What it should look like

A little OT, but Bud Elliot on Cover 3 mention next years class, their importance, and how he thinks Miami will do well because of Mario. Ivins made the same type of comment and even mentioning that he could see Miami with a top 5 class next year.
18B1047C-01B6-45D5-A659-4107B0ADB3C3.gif

Advertisement
Great post DMoney. I would encourage everyone to listen to the entire press conference Mario gave post recruiting day. He clearly makes several references to recruiting rankings etc and obviously understands that stacking blue chips is the way to go. I would also add that blue chips going against lesser players in practice does not get you ready for games. I rather have a 60 man team with blue chips than 85 with players that don't belong...

Last edited:
By my count, we've signed 20 transfers since 2016.

Five of those already made the pros (Jaelan Phillips, KJ Osborn, Quincy Roche, Dee Delaney and Marquez Williams). Four more were/are stud college players (D'Eriq King, Jose Borrregales, Charleston Rambo and Tyrique Stevenson). Seven more were at least contributors (Bubba Bolden, DeAndre Johnson, Trevon Hill, Jarrid Williams, Tito Odenigbo, Justice Oluwasen, Chigozie Nnoruka).

Only four out of 20 (20%) would be outright busts- Tate Martell, George Brown, Asa Martin and Tommy Kennedy.

That's a good ratio.
I'd argue that's an exceptional ratio

Transitions classes are always hard - especially when they're this thin to begin with for Mario.

What I'd like to see is Marion winning 1 or 2 battles for the big names still out there, and can he bring in 1 or 2 big names that aren't really on the radar right now. If he can get 2 or 3 of those types then I consider this class a success.

Advertisement
By my count, we've signed 20 transfers since 2016.

Five of those already made the pros (Jaelan Phillips, KJ Osborn, Quincy Roche, Dee Delaney and Marquez Williams). Four more were/are stud college players (D'Eriq King, Jose Borrregales, Charleston Rambo and Tyrique Stevenson). Seven more were at least contributors (Bubba Bolden, DeAndre Johnson, Trevon Hill, Jarrid Williams, Tito Odenigbo, Justice Oluwasen, Chigozie Nnoruka).

Only four out of 20 (20%) would be outright busts- Tate Martell, George Brown, Asa Martin and Tommy Kennedy.

That's a good ratio.

I look at this aspect of recruiting as a key to UM's success going forward. Interestingly, it's counter-intuitive to the historical wisdom of recruiting and program management.

For decades the most successful programs recruited exclusively out of high school, whereas the bottom feeder programs relied on JuCo players for a 1-2 year "rental." With the advent of the grad transfer rule and now the portal this will be part of the life blood of a program. I think UM is uniquely positioned to dominate the portal transfer market for two reasons:

1) Elite hometown talent that starts out leaving town. We've seen this plenty of times already. A 4-5 star kid signs with an SEC or BIG school then chooses to transfer. Coming back to south Florida is an easier (and often healthier) move for them. ****, Im already on record saying that Earl Little Jr. will end up at UM via the portal in 2024.

2) UM gives kids from lower tier (FCS & Grp. of 5) programs the ability to come to a school and market where they can become a household name overnight. Again, I think this bodes well for UM going forward.

DMoney sunshine pumping while acknowledging his sunshine pumping ways of the past.

The duality of DMoney
i caught that too, but it's a byproduct of how we ran our program and some poor talent evaluations ... we didn't have the cache and rep to get a large amount of bonafide studs, we stayed bargain shopping, looking for the best deal ... now we have a coach with a rep, cache, and worth ethic ... yesterday was dope ... with the advent of the portal, we're not gonna take guys that can't play here

I have no problem taking three stars if they are vetted. Greg Rousseau is a recent example.

The issue is taking sleepers without a thorough evaluation, including a live eyeball test. That’s how we’ve made mistakes in the past.

one very noteworthy coach told me: "the problem with UM the past fifteen years, is that they would have 3 or 4 really good players in a class, and then be willing to fill up the rest with JAG's"

Advertisement
Something I never thought of until now is the low 3 star kid probably isn't that invested in football, doesn't go as hard and that weighs down the team competitiveness across the board
I wouldn't agree with that at all. There are tons of 2 and 3 star players that become NFL ball players. Typically they go to small schools and grind while they grow. Many develop a chip and an insane work ethic. The culprit most of the time is late physical development. Some kids bodies simply haven't developed by the time they are 18. Plenty of blue chip players who have zero work ethic and sheer physical ability flame out. But obviously, we aren't trying to build and NFL roster. To compete at the highest level you need kids who are physically developed and ready to go. Love this shift.

Marios prime objective right now to focus on blue chippers. Plenty of time between now and next signing period to thoroughly evaluate 3 stars and sign some who pass his test on evaluations. He is not trying to fill a roster with practice players like past regimes have done

Jaden Harris, Wesley Bissainthe Nyjalik Kelly are instant impact players IMO.

All 3 should get 2nd team reps as True Freshmen & if it was me, Harris would a lot at CB considering how bad the CB room. CB is a position that a TF can thrive in if they have the skill set & get coached up on their technique & just based off his raw skills alone he could definitely play day 1 under the proper tutelage.

Rogers health will be pivotal & Graves should see the field early as well.

The first task of S&C coach Feld has to be to get Bissainthe & Kelly physically ready to play as TF’s, unless we hit the portal for a vet DE & LB, the two of them gotta be ready to contribute next season because from a depth standpoint the bodies in front of them aren’t really stand out players.

Kayvon Thibadeaux played significantly as a TF & won Pac-12 Freshman of the year, I’m not expecting for Kelly to have the same impact, but he definitely should be in the 2-deep rotation this year considering both DeAndre Johnson & McCloud are leaving, so DE/EDGE is pretty much wide open, depending on what scheme we’ll be running.

Also looking forward to seeing what we do with Isaiah Horton, the WR room is pretty deep & depending on what kinda offense we bring in it will determine if we’re throwing the ball around & getting everyone involved or if we really only play a few cats & have a backlogged bench. Which was another reason why I really hope we bring in an uptempo Air Raid style OC because when you have the kinda depth we have at WR they can get restless if they’re not getting the ball frequently, but that’s another argument for another thread lol.
You like Jaden Harris like that? To where you're comfortable saying he's instant impact, over even Graves?

In years past, I hated Manny's reliance on the portal. Guys portal out of schools for a reason- lets not lose sight out that...in a NORMAL year.....

But these aren't normal times. The new one-time, retain eligibility transfer rule has created an influx of talent to become available, where opposite of year's past, most of these guys need no warning label. They are younger players who realize they either made a bad decision in choosing said school or escaping coaching changes. Do your research and HW and find the right fit! Impact players can be found....

The other advantage we have is team chemistry....in a normal situation with no coaching change, worrying about a guy coming in and disrupting team dynamics is always a thing....not so in a transition year with a new regime. Find your guys, bring them in early enough (preferably before the Spring semester starts), and let the team chemistry build organically....

These next few weeks should be exciting for Canes ! #TearsOfJoy

Sad Cry GIF by Bounce

Advertisement
I have no problem taking three stars if they are vetted. Greg Rousseau is a recent example.

The issue is taking sleepers without a thorough evaluation, including a live eyeball test. That’s how we’ve made mistakes in the past.
Also the amount of three stars and sleepers you take a chance on matters. Taking a chance on one or two is ok but if you take too many you are probably in trouble. JMO

All 3 should get 2nd team reps as True Freshmen & if it was me, Harris would a lot at CB considering how bad the CB room. CB is a position that a TF can thrive in if they have the skill set & get coached up on their technique & just based off his raw skills alone he could definitely play day 1 under the proper tutelage.

The first task of S&C coach Feld has to be to get Bissainthe & Kelly physically ready to play as TF’s, unless we hit the portal for a vet DE & LB, the two of them gotta be ready to contribute next season because from a depth standpoint the bodies in front of them aren’t really stand out players.

Kayvon Thibadeaux played significantly as a TF & won Pac-12 Freshman of the year, I’m not expecting for Kelly to have the same impact, but he definitely should be in the 2-deep rotation this year considering both DeAndre Johnson & McCloud are leaving, so DE/EDGE is pretty much wide open, depending on what scheme we’ll be running.

Also looking forward to seeing what we do with Isaiah Horton, the WR room is pretty deep & depending on what kinda offense we bring in it will determine if we’re throwing the ball around & getting everyone involved or if we really only play a few cats & have a backlogged bench. Which was another reason why I really hope we bring in an uptempo Air Raid style OC because when you have the kinda depth we have at WR they can get restless if they’re not getting the ball frequently, but that’s another argument for another thread lol.
Agree with the overall sentiment here.

For the bolded part, I think it'll depend on who we bring in as a DC. Some of the names I keep hearing are heavy zone guys. I've mentioned zone issues to you in the past. Beyond just bad zone calls, our existing guys seemingly haven't been taught basic zone principles and rules. If Harris is as raw as people say, and it's hard to see in his highlights, there may be a delay there.

Physically, his highlights show awesome raw tools for elite zone DB play: he flips those hips easily, he accelerates in short areas at an elite level, and he has clear closing speed. Little different at Corner than at Safety, but Corners still have to process. If we go with a heavy zone coverage guy (I hope he'd adjust and mix it), I hope we have some good teachers.

Advertisement

I'll add:

Harris and Graves can be real contributors on special teams.

Both guys have skills with the ball in their hands, and will be in the mix for KR/PR roles.

Beyond that, Harris has really good kick coverage skills. If it were up to me, he gets a shot to be a gunner from day 1.

We are in an era of CFB where you shouldn't be loading up on the Terrace Henley's, Junior Alexis', and other nonsense just to fill out a class.

Bruh, the portal is there. If you're going to take some filler, get some veteran filler and they are short term rentals at worst.

Take some Adam El Gammel OR take some Jarrid Williams. Seems pretty easy to decide, to me.

Advertisement
Back