What it should look like

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This class has eight players. Seven of them are blue chippers. The class average is .9165. That’s good for 7th in the nation. But it’s still only eight players.

Why is Mario is choosing quality over quantity? It’s simple- he knows what it should look like. This isn't about recreating Temple. This is about building a roster to compete with Bama. It will take time, but you need to have high standards. Even in a transition year.

There were four transition classes between Coker and Mario. They followed the same pattern- new coach comes in, rushes evaluations, signs some sleepers and we fall in love with the grainy film. I was the worst culprit. Over four classes, at least 24 kids fell into this "lottery ticket" category:

2007 (Shannon)

Daniel Adderley, Shawnbrey McNeal, Tyler Horn, Jared Campbell

2011 (Golden)

Darius Smith, Ricardo Williams, Gianni Paul, Olsen Pierre, Antonio Kinard, Thomas Finnie, Eddie Johnson, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Hunter Wells, Thurston Armbrister

2016 (Richt)

Tre Johnson, Tyreic Martin, Jeff James, Dayall Harris

2019 (Diaz)

Adam El-Gammal, Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Peyton Matocha

Only five of the 24 ended up as quality players: Zion, Pierre, Armbrister, Clark and Horn. The rest gave us next to nothing. That's a 20% hit rate.

Mario is taking a different approach. He doesn't want excess fat weighing down the roster. Instead, he's laser focused on blue chip players, and made numerous references to recruiting rankings during his press conference. The Portal (which his predecessors didn't have) allows him to sign blue chippers while filling the rest of the spots with developed veterans.

This class, while small, is loaded with blue-chip athleticism and body types. Chris Graves and Nyjalik Kelly are prototypical. Wesley Bissainthe is fluid and has stopping power as a tackler. Jacurri Brown is built like an oak with nuclear athleticism. Isaiah Horton and Jaden Harris opened eyes on their visits through sheer size. Khamauri Rogers and Markeith Williams have been stacking INTs and offers since they were high school freshmen. And there are many names yet to come.

Enjoy these next couple months. This program will continue to stack blue talent, either from high school or the Portal. We have money, along with a coach and an AD who know how to spend money. Clemson is sputtering. The time is right to build a sustainable monster that reloads every year. Wednesday was just the first step.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with D$, but I take exception to him excluding Eddie Johnson as a “quality player.” Kid was an absolute stud, notwithstanding the fact that he had to leave UM prematurely. But again, I agree with his point.
When I saw his film, I remember thinking, “There has to be a reason nobody is on this kid. He’s unbelievable.”

Turns out there was a reason, unfortunately.

D$ how many at each position? For example, if we land the Bama CB transfer Banks, are we done at CB?

Do we bring in another S to pair with Markieth?

DL/DE is a huge need

OL is a need

LB is a need

RB depth is spotty, because Rooster and Chaney can declare if they go off in 2022

WR needs more depth to create blue chip competition levels and keep everyone from feeling "safe" like Pope and Wiggins

Mario definitely made a point of emphasizing quality over quantity during his press conference but he also mentioned that between transfers and February signees, he’s expecting this class to have between 17-20 kids so there’s still plenty of potential for this class to be even better.

Advertisement
This class has eight players. Seven of them are blue chippers. The class average is .9165. That’s good for 7th in the nation. But it’s still only eight players.

Why is Mario is choosing quality over quantity? It’s simple- he knows what it should look like. This isn't about recreating Temple. This is about building a roster to compete with Bama. It will take time, but you need to have high standards. Even in a transition year.

There were four transition classes between Coker and Mario. They followed the same pattern- new coach comes in, rushes evaluations, signs some sleepers and we fall in love with the grainy film. I was the worst culprit. Over four classes, at least 24 kids fell into this "lottery ticket" category:

2007 (Shannon)

Daniel Adderley, Shawnbrey McNeal, Tyler Horn, Jared Campbell

2011 (Golden)

Darius Smith, Ricardo Williams, Gianni Paul, Olsen Pierre, Antonio Kinard, Thomas Finnie, Eddie Johnson, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Hunter Wells, Thurston Armbrister

2016 (Richt)

Tre Johnson, Tyreic Martin, Jeff James, Dayall Harris

2019 (Diaz)

Adam El-Gammal, Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Peyton Matocha

Only five of the 24 ended up as quality players: Zion, Pierre, Armbrister, Clark and Horn. The rest gave us next to nothing. That's a 20% hit rate.

Mario is taking a different approach. He doesn't want excess fat weighing down the roster. Instead, he's laser focused on blue chip players, and made numerous references to recruiting rankings during his press conference. The Portal (which his predecessors didn't have) allows him to sign blue chippers while filling the rest of the spots with developed veterans.

This class, while small, is loaded with blue-chip athleticism and body types. Chris Graves and Nyjalik Kelly are prototypical. Wesley Bissainthe is fluid and has stopping power as a tackler. Jacurri Brown is built like an oak with nuclear athleticism. Isaiah Horton and Jaden Harris opened eyes on their visits through sheer size. Khamauri Rogers and Markeith Williams have been stacking INTs and offers since they were high school freshmen. And there are many names yet to come.

Enjoy these next couple months. This program will continue to stack blue talent, either from high school or the Portal. We have money, along with a coach and an AD who know how to spend money. Clemson is sputtering. The time is right to build a sustainable monster that reloads every year. Wednesday was just the first step.
Excellent point backed-up by data. I endorse this post.

D$ with the early morning Kool-aid but I'm drinking it all.

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

our biggest need was LB and the 2ndary. If we can get a few portal transfer LBs then i think this will be a decent class.

Advertisement
Something I never thought of until now is the low 3 star kid probably isn't that invested in football, doesn't go as hard and that weighs down the team competitiveness across the board
Interested to hear more about this theory of yours.

Not all physical freaks (4* and 5*) necessarily are the hardest working ultra competitive guys around just like not all JAGS are necessarily lunch pail and hard hat guys.

The thing about the star ratings is they are entirely based off a player filling out a box: measurements (mostly). Sprinkle in some other variables like production, high school, P5 offers etc. and you end up with a fringe 5* like Pope.

Just an interesting theory you posited; wondering your thought process here.

Like i said somewhere else. That 61st ranking means nothing. We could stack 25-30 projects and accumulate a top 15 ranking or higher. But 60% of the class either never plays or is only special teams worthy. Every single one of our commits has the body type and athleticism to come in and play. The more highly rated players you have, the less bust you have, and bust would be relative to their lofty rankings but could still be solid college players. We are just behind UNC in per player ranking who has 91.70. Which is very high for them. They have built a few good classes behind each other. They will be a problem in the Coastal and is even more important that we canned Diaz.

Btw the better athletes on the roster. The better our special teams become. If that wasnt an indictment on our DB and LB room don't know what is. All speed and athletic ability and we could barely get pass the 15.

Something I never thought of until now is the low 3 star kid probably isn't that invested in football, doesn't go as hard and that weighs down the team competitiveness across the board
I have no problem taking three stars if they are vetted. Greg Rousseau is a recent example.

The issue is taking sleepers without a thorough evaluation, including a live eyeball test. That’s how we’ve made mistakes in the past.

Advertisement
I agree with D$, but I take exception to him excluding Eddie Johnson as a “quality player.” Kid was an absolute stud, notwithstanding the fact that he had to leave UM prematurely. But again, I agree with his point.
Agreed. I was all about Eddie Johnson. Looked like he had the potential to be a star but couldn't stay out if trouble

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back