What it should look like

This class has eight players. Seven of them are blue chippers. The class average is .9165. That’s good for 7th in the nation. But it’s still only eight players.

Why is Mario is choosing quality over quantity? It’s simple- he knows what it should look like. This isn't about recreating Temple. This is about building a roster to compete with Bama. It will take time, but you need to have high standards. Even in a transition year.

There were four transition classes between Coker and Mario. They followed the same pattern- new coach comes in, rushes evaluations, signs some sleepers and we fall in love with the grainy film. I was the worst culprit. Over four classes, at least 24 kids fell into this "lottery ticket" category:

2007 (Shannon)

Daniel Adderley, Shawnbrey McNeal, Tyler Horn, Jared Campbell

2011 (Golden)

Darius Smith, Ricardo Williams, Gianni Paul, Olsen Pierre, Antonio Kinard, Thomas Finnie, Eddie Johnson, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Hunter Wells, Thurston Armbrister

2016 (Richt)

Tre Johnson, Tyreic Martin, Jeff James, Dayall Harris

2019 (Diaz)

Adam El-Gammal, Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Peyton Matocha

Only five of the 24 ended up as quality players: Zion, Pierre, Armbrister, Clark and Horn. The rest gave us next to nothing. That's a 20% hit rate.

Mario is taking a different approach. He doesn't want excess fat weighing down the roster. Instead, he's laser focused on blue chip players, and made numerous references to recruiting rankings during his press conference. The Portal (which his predecessors didn't have) allows him to sign blue chippers while filling the rest of the spots with developed veterans.

This class, while small, is loaded with blue-chip athleticism and body types. Chris Graves and Nyjalik Kelly are prototypical. Wesley Bissainthe is fluid and has stopping power as a tackler. Jacurri Brown is built like an oak with nuclear athleticism. Isaiah Horton and Jaden Harris opened eyes on their visits through sheer size. Khamauri Rogers and Markeith Williams have been stacking INTs and offers since they were high school freshmen. And there are many names yet to come.

Enjoy these next couple months. This program will continue to stack blue talent, either from high school or the Portal. We have money, along with a coach and an AD who know how to spend money. Clemson is sputtering. The time is right to build a sustainable monster that reloads every year. Wednesday was just the first step.
Lfg dmoney

Advertisement
There were four transition classes between Coker and Mario. They followed the same pattern- new coach comes in, rushes evaluations, signs some sleepers and we fall in love with the grainy film. I was the worst culprit. Over four classes, at least 24 kids fell into this "lottery ticket" category:

Mario is taking a different approach. He doesn't want excess fat weighing down the roster. Instead, he's laser focused on blue chip players, and made numerous references to recruiting rankings during his press conference. The Portal (which his predecessors didn't have) allows him to sign blue chippers while filling the rest of the spots with developed veterans.

This class, while small, is loaded with blue-chip athleticism and body types. Chris Graves and Nyjalik Kelly are prototypical. Wesley Bissainthe is fluid and has stopping power as a tackler. Jacurri Brown is built like an oak with nuclear athleticism. Isaiah Horton and Jaden Harris opened eyes on their visits through sheer size. Khamauri Rogers and Markeith Williams have been stacking INTs and offers since they were high school freshmen. And there are many names yet to come.

Enjoy these next couple months. This program will continue to stack blue talent, either from high school or the Portal. We have money, along with a coach and an AD who know how to spend money. Clemson is sputtering. The time is right to build a sustainable monster that reloads every year. Wednesday was just the first step.

Apology accepted.

Good post though.

Was talking to some bros about this...noting Miami's low recruiting ranking. The class is small so far, but the recruit average is very high. You've got contributors throughout, some of these guys will be big time.

I do expect a few three-stars, but we're hitting a big time evaluation period as those senior mixtapes will be dropping. I'd assume the three-stars we do target here show traits of a big time player and are emerging late.

Not only does Mario understand that you need blue-chip players to win, he is demanding that is all we are going to recruit. Yesterday he mentioned going after the best of the best. It was very similar to when Urban Meyer said he only wanted to recruit the top 1%. We love Saban and Smart because they win, but they win because they have the best players. I have no doubt that we will be one of the more talented team in CFB in due time.

Something I never thought of until now is the low 3 star kid probably isn't that invested in football, doesn't go as hard and that weighs down the team competitiveness across the board
Lol no
Guys are 3 stars because they lack size, speed, or both. Doesn’t mean they don’t put up stats or go hard in HS. You can’t teach a 5’9 245 pound DT a thing that will make him a beast. The rankings are mostly athleticism and measurables, not stats or mental toughness (intangibles that can’t be taught) . You go hard in 7-7 in t shirts you get 4 stars. That’s why kids like Pope don’t pan out.

Apology accepted.

Good post though.

Was talking to some bros about this...noting Miami's low recruiting ranking. The class is small so far, but the recruit average is very high. You've got contributors throughout, some of these guys will be big time.

I do expect a few three-stars, but we're hitting a big time evaluation period as those senior mixtapes will be dropping. I'd assume the three-stars we do target here show traits of a big time player and are emerging late.
Besides Moten, who may have been upgraded to a 4 star, who do you expect? Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I think selecting a couple late bloomers is almost always a positive.

Of course, they have to be evaluated. Some of our previous "fliers" were nonsensical (didn't have the room for size growth, didn't have any speed, or were mentally/emotionally incapable of growth).

Advertisement
Maybe it's the orange and green glasses, or maybe the whiskey talking.

But this year it might work out best going to the portal for experienced fillers for the teams holes to make a run at the ACC. We are loaded with young talent at a lot of positions and a few weak spots.

Bring in some experience and leadership, coach everyone up and get the ball rolling next year and on with elite classes, keeping this year's blue chip numbers.

How refreshing that we won't have to have threads where people are rationalizing taking players that have no business being here

Our coach is a star *****, and that's a good thing
I will never forget going to first practice and seeing Daniel Adderly and just laughing like aint no way this kid EVER playing here, he is dead on arrival.. FIRST. DAY. OF. PRACTICE.

Then coming on board and seeing a thread with someone saying the obvious then people actually trying to debate and the usual sunshine pumping BS. Corches get paid for this, he has time, he has size, move him to TE, You dont know anything, give him a chance, etc. Thats when I knew some of these boys will pump anybody, lulz good times I guess..

Besides Moten, who may have been upgraded to a 4 star, who do you expect? Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I think selecting a couple late bloomers is almost always a positive.

Of course, they have to be evaluated. Some of our previous "fliers" were nonsensical (didn't have the room for size growth, didn't have any speed, or were mentally/emotionally incapable of growth).
Exactly. My issue isn't the three stars, it's the three stars without vetting.

As a counter example, Richt came in and immediately dropped a bunch of South Florida three stars we had a ton of information on: Zack Moss, Josh Uche, James Wiggins and James Pierre. All of those guys ended up as pros.

Looking at the list - and I can't believe I am about to write this - but Golden did the best job.
Shannon had the best transition class overall. He signed 11 blues, 7 nonblues and finished 13th in the nation. He landed six players who reached the NFL (Bailey, Franklin, DVD, Hankerson, Gunn and Ojomo) and some other guys like Cooper and Horn who were good college players.

Advertisement
This class has eight players. Seven of them are blue chippers. The class average is .9165. That’s good for 7th in the nation. But it’s still only eight players.

Why is Mario is choosing quality over quantity? It’s simple- he knows what it should look like. This isn't about recreating Temple. This is about building a roster to compete with Bama. It will take time, but you need to have high standards. Even in a transition year.

2007 (Shannon)

2011 (Golden)

Darius Smith, Ricardo Williams, Gianni Paul, Olsen Pierre, Antonio Kinard, Thomas Finnie, Eddie Johnson, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Hunter Wells, Thurston Armbrister

2016 (Richt)

2019 (Diaz)

Only five of the 24 ended up as quality players: Zion, Pierre, Armbrister, Clark and Horn. The rest gave us next to nothing. That's a 20% hit rate.

Great post! Agree 100%. What are your thoughts on hit rate between high school players and portal players?

One correction. Gionni Paul actually was pretty good in a bad system. He transfers to Utah and was first-team All Pac-12. But point well taken. Golden was the worse culprit. The attrition in each of his classes was in the 33% to 50% range within 3 years.
Also McNeal had a very good run at SMU and I think got a little burn in the NFL for a hot minute.

I've been pretty checked out on recruiting for a while. Haven't checked out any film, any answer I give you at this point is going to be a player I either coached, coached against, or know through the grapevine. Haven't been to a HS game this year either, unfortunately.

Great post! Agree 100%. What are your thoughts on hit rate between high school players and portal players?
By my count, we've signed 20 transfers since 2016.

Five of those already made the pros (Jaelan Phillips, KJ Osborn, Quincy Roche, Dee Delaney and Marquez Williams). Four more were/are stud college players (D'Eriq King, Jose Borrregales, Charleston Rambo and Tyrique Stevenson). Seven more were at least contributors (Bubba Bolden, DeAndre Johnson, Trevon Hill, Jarrid Williams, Tito Odenigbo, Justice Oluwasen, Chigozie Nnoruka).

Only four out of 20 (20%) would be outright busts- Tate Martell, George Brown, Asa Martin and Tommy Kennedy.

That's a good ratio.

Advertisement

2007 (Shannon)

2011 (Golden)

2016 (Richt)

2019 (Diaz)

Word.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mario was able to land another 6-8 HS recruits this cycle at about the same average rating. That gets us to a class of 14-16 HS kids, with about 8-10 spots left for transfers. To me, that's a perfect transition class both for the future and for where our needs are right now. Win ten regular season games next year and watch where Mario's honeymoon class finishes in 2023.

We are right where we need to be and ready to get off to the races over the next few weeks as Mario fills out his staff, both on field and off. By the time the dust settles in early January, this program is going to have an entirely different feel. Depth chart is going to have an amazingly different look and feel by August, especially on D.

Advertisement
Mario definitely made a point of emphasizing quality over quantity during his press conference but he also mentioned that between transfers and February signees, he’s expecting this class to have between 17-20 kids so there’s still plenty of potential for this class to be even better.
This. Plus unlike most of the past, the transfer portal allows for picking up established, proven players to fill gaps instead of taking flyers on questionable recruits to fill out the roster.

Word.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mario was able to land another 6-8 HS recruits this cycle at about the same average rating. That gets us to a class of 14-16 HS kids, with about 8-10 spots left for transfers. To me, that's a perfect transition class both for the future and for where our needs are right now. Win ten regular season games next year and watch where Mario's honeymoon class finishes in 2023.

We are right where we need to be and ready to get off to the races over the next few weeks as Mario fills out his staff, both on field and off. By the time the dust settles in early January, this program is going to have an entirely different feel. Depth chart is going to have an amazingly different look and feel by August, especially on D.
Likely will be more 3* kids to get to 6-8 but he also has some 5* kids looking which could keep the overall ranking pretty high. I'm not even sure he needs more than 25 and I really have no idea how Bama is going to sign more than 20 kids. Well, it is likely why we see pretty good back-ups hitting the portal already.

A little OT, but Bud Elliot on Cover 3 mention next years class, their importance, and how he thinks Miami will do well because of Mario. Ivins made the same type of comment and even mentioning that he could see Miami with a top 5 class next year.

This. Plus unlike most of the past, the transfer portal allows for picking up established, proven players to fill gaps instead of taking flyers on questionable recruits to fill out the roster.
Especially since we have immediate needs at certain positions. I’m not a huge fan of trying to fill needs with freshmen, especially linemen. We could certainly use a veteran transfer CB, OT and LB.

Advertisement
Back