X's and O's What If TVD Stays For 2023?

I think it depends on whether Gattis returns. Offense hasn't been a good fit so he may take his chances of falling significantly in draft to leave early. Yes Gattis might have made some adjustments 5 weeks into the season, but it took so long that TVDs draft stock took a big hit. He might be a bit salty over that and I wouldnt blame him. If we get a more spread oriented OC, TVD might stay because I think he could put up tremendous numbers and really help his draft position. Garcia probably leaves though.
All these are good points and make sense.

IMO - TVD has plenty of time to get over that slow start. TVD's last 6 games last year made everyone forget all about his first 2 starts which weren't good.

NFL vs Staying is a complete roll of the dice either way.

NFL - Where players are projected in January can change a lot by April. And where players are projected on the day of the draft may still be completely off. Sometimes there's slides like Malik Willis & Sam Howell last year. A couple years ago Jordan Love & Jalen Hurts go higher than projected.

Staying in College - It's just as much a roll of the dice IMO. Let's say we get a new OC next year. I'm sure TVD thought Gattis was going to work out better than he has so far, right? Although they've hopefully righted the ship. But you have to declare for the draft mid-January. Lashlee was hired Jan 3. Enos Jan 11. Gattis Feb 6. TVD would likely have 2 weeks or less to decide whether or not the new OC is a better gamble than going pro. Short time for a big decision.

Advertisement
Yall sleeping on gruden
Kombucha No But GIF

I see TVD hitting the portal to play for an OC more like Lashlee.

Advertisement
if TVD picks up the pace and is tearing up the rest of the season, he bolts. just like last season. he didn't get going until later in the season. if he continues to struggle, he stays and Garcia bolts

Advertisement
I know this; TVD stopped running hard the moment he started getting NFL hype. The TAMU game where he would slide or dip out of bounds any time a defender got within 5 yards of him was telling. All over college football I see QB's much smaller than him running and taking hits in an effort to get a first down. TVD is 6'-4", 225 pounds and he runs as if he's an anorexic ******* girl. This tells me that he's gone after this season.

Last edited:
Why would Jacurri Brown leave?.

Even Jake Garcia is iffy as.......he will only be a sophomore next year. If Tvd comes back he still has 2 years of starting or 1 injury away from starting to work with...THE same amount he would expect with a transfer anyway.

Advertisement
Good? Bad? Meh?

I suspect Garcia or Brown hit the portal if he returns.

From a personal standpoint, it might help his draft stock in 2024 with a good season.

Overall does a 2023 with TVD help our Canes long term? I don't think it does.
Personally I dont think we lose in the situation either way.

Rashada is coming in

If TVD stays and either Garcia or Brown hit the portal, we still have one of them and Rashada.

If he goes then we still have Garcia, Brown and Rashada.

I like having Garcia or TVD at the helm next season, and the possibility of having 2 or three pretty good backups.

The question mark IMO is what will Emory do.

Why would Jacurri Brown leave?.

Even Jake Garcia is iffy as.......he will only be a sophomore next year. If Tvd comes back he still has 2 years of starting or 1 injury away from starting to work with...THE same amount he would expect with a transfer anyway.
It just becomes a numbers game. Any scenario you play out leads to a very tough ask and a lot of sitting & patience from at least one of the QB's.

It's so easy to transfer now, and finding a lower level P5 or G5 school that's so QB needy they can essentially promise you the starting job won't be that hard.

I expect one of the QB's to transfer at some point - but who knows. There's so many different ways it can actually play out

Advertisement
If TVD Stays Garcia leaves (I’d bet Arkansas) and then we have TVD, Brown, Rashada, Emory. Then TVD Leaves and you hope brown moves in seamlessly unless Rashada is that good that quick.

If TVD leaves And Garcia starts then it will be interesting to see what Brown does unless Garcia just sets the world on fire in 1 year. But in this era qbs transferring is part of the dynamic. You can keep good ones for 2 years without playing but 3 is tough. They don’t get any younger. That’s when you hope a kid like Emory sticks it out and is a 1 year filler before the next guy.

I never really understood the thinking on this stuff. If he comes back, and plays, it’s because he’s in theory still the best QB. So how would that be bad for the team? I guess it only makes sense if you think the 2nd string guy is truly going to be better all around come game time, but if he’s not clearly showing it in practice seems like a dumb risk.
The logical thinking is if he comes back he not good enough for the next level and it bottlenecks recruiting. It would be best for everyone

Gattis is just a "fixing his red zone woes" away from pulling a Rhett Lashlee. All this talk about him being gone is waaay pre-mature.

If TVD is still staring down receivers at this point I pretty much assumed he'd be staying anyway. NFL scouts will tear that apart. Him being in our system another year along with another year of chemistry with our coaches and players can only help us.

Garcia may stay and compete with TVD if he thinks he's better. Neither was recruited by Mario so there's no danger of anything but competition. I can also see him leaving. I don't see TVD transferring. It's the NFL or UM.

Advertisement
Back