X's and O's What If TVD Stays For 2023?

From TVD's perspective - if he finishes the year strong, go pro

I think it depends on whether Gattis returns. Offense hasn't been a good fit so he may take his chances of falling significantly in draft to leave early. Yes Gattis might have made some adjustments 5 weeks into the season, but it took so long that TVDs draft stock took a big hit. He might be a bit salty over that and I wouldnt blame him. If we get a more spread oriented OC, TVD might stay because I think he could put up tremendous numbers and really help his draft position. Garcia probably leaves though.

Advertisement
It is a legitimate question. TVD staying has some broad ramifications for the future of our Canes.

As for sitting out Bowls, wait until players, probably on out of CFBPO contention, start sitting out say from week 9-10 and on to "focus on the draft"

I'm not saying it's not legitimate. I'm just saying it's premature, and I (generally) dislike these threads at this point in the season.

Two months from today, I'm bout it bout it.

Advertisement
If he thinks Gattis is coming back, he gets the heck out of here. Either NFL, or transfers somewhere that has a pass happy O.
100% I don't think any of those guys reach their ceilings with Gattis as OC. I've said it b4, I don't need to wait 3 years to know Gattis isn't it. Good bad or ugly we're stuck with Mario, we aren't stuck with Gattis. Get him out of here.

From a fan perspective - of course we want him back. Pretty simple. But that would make for a crowded QB room where it's going to be a hard sell to keep Garcia in particular from transferring. Rashada is Mario's recruit, Garcia isn't.

From TVD's perspective - if he finishes the year strong, go pro. No brainer. If the rest of the year is up & down - to be honest - I'd hit the portal. Any top team that's a QB away from winning it all would love to have him. I'd love if he was faithful to the Canes - but my honest advice would be go shoot your shot.

Good take I agree w/. Only thing I'll add is that TVD staying might also depend on Gattis returning. Imo, if our OC returns, then maybe Tyler looks elsewhere for a more friendly, productive system that'll max what he does best.

One post closer to 8!
They have no one to blame but themselves....
umh24MvNmRCBq.gif

Advertisement
TVD either goes pro or transfers depending on how the rest of the season plays out

just my opinion

Advertisement
Several porsts saying TVD transfers or goes pro.

Transfer really?

He is (would be) that unhappy with a GERDis designed O plan for next season?

Dunno...

LOTS of football left. I am happy this is even a thing because it looked bad for him early on. He has his swag back even during interviews

100% I don't think any of those guys reach their ceilings with Gattis as OC. I've said it b4, I don't need to wait 3 years to know Gattis isn't it. Good bad or ugly we're stuck with Mario, we aren't stuck with Gattis. Get him out of here.
Exactly. We saw what Lashlee did with someone else's talent. Are we perfect on O? No. Do we have enough talent to look a **** of a lot better, with better coaching? **** yes.

Mario needs to get his head out of 1991.

Advertisement
Does his return for one more year, then leaving anyways, hold back the development of Garcia, Brown, or one of the freshman coming next year?

It isn't like a pro roster where you get to stay for year and years*.

*Bar Milo excluded
Well you can literally always say that about the starting QB can’t you. Why are we playing him this year or last when it just hurts Garcia? It’s because winning now is more important than a *maybe* higher chance of winning in future years. Especially when the much bigger variable in that outcome is the recruiting classes which are greatly helped by winning right now.

From a fan perspective - of course we want him back. Pretty simple. But that would make for a crowded QB room where it's going to be a hard sell to keep Garcia in particular from transferring. Rashada is Mario's recruit, Garcia isn't.

From TVD's perspective - if he finishes the year strong, go pro. No brainer. If the rest of the year is up & down - to be honest - I'd hit the portal. Any top team that's a QB away from winning it all would love to have him. I'd love if he was faithful to the Canes - but my honest advice would be go shoot your shot.
Oof that last possibility hurts, precisely because it makes so much sense. If he goes to a modern offense for his last year RIP Mario QB rep for good.

It is a legitimate question. TVD staying has some broad ramifications for the future of our Canes.

As for sitting out Bowls, wait until players, probably on out of CFBPO contention, start sitting out say from week 9-10 and on to "focus on the draft"
Already happens. IIRC the most recent Bosa brother sat out most of his junior season at Ohio State due to an injury, preferring to focus rehabbing the injury and then focus on the draft. I may be wrong, but I think he could have returned and played that season. For a CFP contender/team.

But on to TVD:

I predict he will to turn pro unless the NFL advisory team tells me he‘s a mid-late round selection. The NFL scrutinizes everything but will project TVD’s potential based on his skill set, not whether he threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs or 4,000 yards and 40 TDs. Kentucky’s QB Will Levis is projected as an early first round pick and Mark Stoop’s offense isn’t rolling up 40+ points per game. Levis has thrown for 1,635 yards and a 13-5 TD-INT ratio in seven (7) games.

Garcia starts next season. The wildcards are the Canes burning Brown’s redshirt with his limited play set and Rashada‘s arrival. Is Rashada an EE? If so, is he talented enough to take the backup job from Brown in the Spring? Jaccuri may be the portal candidate if he uses up this season’s eligibility but loses the backup job. He could transfer to a team where he thinks he can redshirt and start in 2024, if not start in 2023.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back