What if there's no season...

Advertisement

Attachments

• D0388F5D-D93B-4703-85CD-37765B842950.jpeg
    D0388F5D-D93B-4703-85CD-37765B842950.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 7
Advertisement
If there is a season, the players may not be the only ones wearing face masks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Think about how bad a decision it’d be for players like Travis Etienne who returned to school and now will maybe not play or receive a dime when they could have gone to the NFL.

And how would the Draft work in 2021? Who gets the top pick and Trevor Lawrence if the NFL also didn’t play a season? It’d be a huge mess so they’ll figure something out. Too much money is involved, as someone else mentioned.

Advertisement
This is definitely something to prepare for with contingencies. I assume pro sports leagues would have games in neutral sites with no fans. College football is a big moneymaker with TV rights alone but would require air travel to accommodate schedules - a season in neutral site pods probably isn't an option although it's possible if coursework is all online anyway.

Ultimately the measures required are dependent on the availability and speed of testing and the severity of isolation for team staff. Even if business resumes across the country all it takes is 1 player on any team to test positive to shut down everything until all teammates, opponents, staff, etc. test negative. That's how the testing, tracing, quaranting system works. It's a huge challenge so again the speed and veracity of testing is paramount. I wouldn't take it for granted that there will be a season. I've also been a pessimist about this virus from the jump so eventually I'll be wrong, I hope.

I guess the next question is if there is no season - and all players get an extra eligibility year - how many Canes declare anyway? :stephenahand:

It can happen obviously but it’s a long way out for the start of the season. As recently as today they were talking about allowing teams To have a minicamp before fall practice sometime in May-June-July. I can See the season starting late September instead of at the beginning.

Advertisement
If it’s cancelled
We won the off season nc
Just hang the banner and call it a day

We always win the off season national championship.

We used to be the college version of the Raiders; now with the transfer portal, we are the college version of the Washington Redskins.

If there isn’t football then man I have no idea what will happen. Obviously there are more pressing matters at hand, but from a sports standpoint no NHL playoffs, no baseball, no March Madness, and no football would make me want to go on a bender and a half.

Advertisement
Back