What happens if Mario…

Advertisement
Diaz is making 3.1 base and I think Marios max w everything yearly is 5.5 (which he likely will hit)?

No one knows exactly how much Diaz is making; I think it is somewhere between 3.1 million and 3.5 million. I have little doubt that Blake James gave him a contract that was more on the high end. You are right that there are lots of incentives that Mario is likely to hit, but if we are factoring incentives that he hasn't yet reached into his contract, then Miami could easily do the same. For example:

Winning any bowl game ($50,000) at Oregon; could offer him $100,000
Winning seven regular season games at Oregon $150,000), UM could offer him $175,000
Making a NY6 bowl game $300,000 at Oregon, could offer 350k
Making making a College Football Playoff Semifinal $375,000 at Oregon, could offer $400k
Appearing in the National Championship $375,000 at Oregon, UM could offer $500k

The increase in ticket sales and merchandise at UM if he hits the latter three benchmarks would exponentially make up for the incentives.

Just curious, did this rumor Mario wouldn't sign on with James as the AD started in here? Is there any outside mention of this rumor in the world?

He did sign on to be on Golden's staff under James before he got a better offer from Saban.
From my understanding Mario felt like he was strung along during the 2015 search, before they picked Richt.

Just curious, did this rumor Mario wouldn't sign on with James as the AD started in here? Is there any outside mention of this rumor in the world?

He did sign on to be on Golden's staff under James before he got a better offer from Saban.

Yeah, and he left 2 weeks later when he realize that Fat Al and Beta Blake were absolute clowns.

Advertisement
Haha, I don't even know why Oregon hired taggart in the first place. He had like 1 good season at USF and that was it for his entire career. He's been a terrible coach imo. I could see why Oregon wouldn't mind letting him go essentially. He had 1 mediocre season at Oregon before I'm assuming FSU bought out his contract. Cristobal on the other hand seems to be trending the program in the right direction, recruiting well, just beat Ohio St, etc. So it isn't exactly apples to apples. I love the enthusiasm though. Would love if Cristobal came here.
If we overpay for an unproven coach and he fails than we're surely done.

Mario:

george bush GIF

Advertisement
I think if they tabled the contract, along with contracts from other cheaper coaches, they will convince themselves the cheaper option is the smart, moneyball option, and that they are so wise for getting value. It’s not that I think they have no money, it’s that I think they are cheap.
More time than not, cheap is pretty expensive.

Hopefully USC makes a very big splash hire — soon. Mario has benefited big time from USC’s demise. May help us — slightly — on the margin if he thinks it’s going to get much more difficult to pillage California.

Advertisement
Yes. And if the idiots making the decisions at the top realized this eons ago and actually hired a competent coach from the outset, the revenue generated from sold out games/season ticket sales ,apparel, etc would have been significant. Not to mention the general boost to fundraising and increased undergraduate applicant pool.
When the football brand is strong, the university benefits. The comedy of errors dating back to the Coker days has been astonishing to watch.

Hopefully USC makes a very big splash hire — soon. Mario has benefited big time from USC’s demise. May help us — slightly — on the margin if he thinks it’s going to get much more difficult to pillage California.

I too, am praying USC 'shocks the world'. Mario is beta so I don't think anyone will just run him off. But, a big name in LA, plus a huge incentive package from HIS university could give him a nudge in the right direction.

Truthfully, Mario has all the leverage.

Advertisement
There's no what if - I think that's pretty definite. No way he comes with James there.
Why not? Blake is the biggest doormat AD in the business. So long as Mario maintains a 7-5 average record he'll be HC for life.

So, is this somewhat in the ball park:

If Blake stays, then <1% chance Mario comes.
If Blake leaves, then about 25% to 50% chance Mario comes (is that too optimistic?).

What about if Blake stays but somebody like Zo is hired with full control of the football program and Mario reports and deals with Zo on all matters related to the program?
The ballpark? Lol. It aint even in the vicinity.

Advertisement
Back