What does a Coastal Division title mean anyway?

Advertisement
And to answer the OP. What does it mean?

Well on paper it is nice but how did we win the coastal. Before the season, here is what I wanted

1.) Actual improvement in the ACC (6-2, 7-1 or 8-0), and

2.) Win the Coastal, and

3.) Win 10 games during the regular season

Bonus: Beat FSU

Winning the coastal against a bunch of chit is irrelevant. There are two other things also to accomplish.

Let me preface this post by saying I'm a lifelong Cubs fan (cue laughter) who just went thru what turned out to be a very fulfilling season of progress. Say what you want but this season was about watching key players and how they performed in important situations..day in and day out.

That said I feel like winning the Coastal would mean beating teams like Duke (ranked at the time) and hopefully teams like Ga Tech and VT among others. We all look at wanting the championship and I want that as much as all of you...but first Miami needs to re-establish itself as a team that is perceived as "better" than the rest of the teams in their conference. Is this a loser's mentality? Maybe....but this team has played like a loser quite a bit lately! Whoever is coaching and recruiting, etc we will feel a whole lot better about ourselves if we win the Coastal and get a shot at playing for the ACC title...then winning a bowl game. That's the ultimate goal for this year along with the continued progress of KEY players like Kaaya and other underclassmen. This can only have a positive affect on recruiting too, which may be the most important thing of all!

I know we all want more and there are a lot of issues with the staff, stadium and administration....so feel free to let the insults and suggested solutions fly....but try and keep THIS SEASON in perspective...it helps.

Everyone keeps talking about winning the Coastal Division. I realize we have to win it to get to the ACCCG, but a loss in the ACCCG has a lot more meaning than saying we won the Coastal Division. Is there even a trophy or banner for this title? The fact that we haven't even been able to win this thing is embarrassing enough and tells us where we stand in the scheme of things nowadays but for a Canes fan who has watched the team reach the pinnacle, talking about winning a Coastal Division title seems almost degrading. Just finish first, don't brag about being Coastal Division champs and get to the ACCCG. None of our traditional rivals are in the Coastal anyways. Get to the ACCCG and beat FSU there. That's all.

Unfortunately we suck so bad, that we have to take baby steps and winning the Coastal is that first step. Didnt read the rest of the thread, so sorry if this has already been laid out, but yeah the ultimate goal is a MNC, we aint there and we arent gonna beat FSU anytime soon either, so we just revert to first trying to win the Coastal, which we kinda won on a technicality a couple of years ago.....

Let me preface this post by saying I'm a lifelong Cubs fan (cue laughter) who just went thru what turned out to be a very fulfilling season of progress. Say what you want but this season was about watching key players and how they performed in important situations..day in and day out.

That said I feel like winning the Coastal would mean beating teams like Duke (ranked at the time) and hopefully teams like Ga Tech and VT among others. We all look at wanting the championship and I want that as much as all of you...but first Miami needs to re-establish itself as a team that is perceived as "better" than the rest of the teams in their conference. Is this a loser's mentality? Maybe....but this team has played like a loser quite a bit lately! Whoever is coaching and recruiting, etc we will feel a whole lot better about ourselves if we win the Coastal and get a shot at playing for the ACC title...then winning a bowl game. That's the ultimate goal for this year along with the continued progress of KEY players like Kaaya and other underclassmen. This can only have a positive affect on recruiting too, which may be the most important thing of all!

I know we all want more and there are a lot of issues with the staff, stadium and administration....so feel free to let the insults and suggested solutions fly....but try and keep THIS SEASON in perspective...it helps.

Loved the (cue laughter) actually did. Note, long time fan of the hapless Mets here.

Advertisement
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tRvXiXz5Q[/video]

This is the worst division in major college football. We've been in the thick of it every year of Gurlden's tenure.

Winning the coastal gives us a shot at the conference title and most importantly a shot at making a BCS game which we have not played in one since 2004 over 10 years now. Realistically that is our goal this season.

I'll take a trip to the ACCCG based on the additional stage it would be in Kaaya's development alone. Him playing in that atmosphere at the end of a season would probably help our chances of actually winning a bowl game instead of having the Pitt game as his last action.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps talking about winning the Coastal Division. I realize we have to win it to get to the ACCCG, but a loss in the ACCCG has a lot more meaning than saying we won the Coastal Division. Is there even a trophy or banner for this title? The fact that we haven't even been able to win this thing is embarrassing enough and tells us where we stand in the scheme of things nowadays but for a Canes fan who has watched the team reach the pinnacle, talking about winning a Coastal Division title seems almost degrading. Just finish first, don't brag about being Coastal Division champs and get to the ACCCG. None of our traditional rivals are in the Coastal anyways. Get to the ACCCG and beat FSU there. That's all.

one word - Progress!

Advertisement
Nothing. People acting like Golden did a good job if he wins the coastal are full of it. The only way this is a successful season is if we beat FSU and win the ACC. Anything less is a failure. You don't get to celebrate a trip to the con. title game if you're at UM in your 4th year.

Advertisement
It means we're the best of 7 crappy teams. And we haven't been the best of these crappy teams since we joined the conference. Pretty much blows.

Baby steps mother****ers. That's where we're at.

I'll take a trip to the ACCCG based on the additional stage it would be in Kaaya's development alone. Him playing in that atmosphere at the end of a season would probably help our chances of actually winning a bowl game instead of having the Pitt game as his last action.

I'll make the trip as well, but then I only live a few hours away.

Advertisement
Well, it might not mean much but would you want to be in the middle.. or at the top?

1367015159071.gif

What would it mean to me its progess us heading in the right direction under Al Golden and company if we beat Fsu Which may not happen but if it did the heat is off Golden it would help recruiting Asap to be honest thats all we are waiting for Al and company to get this thing really started if we knock off Fsu vote Al Acc coach of the year but this all sounds good i would love to see it happen....

LOL! Who really knows what it means? I know what thrid in the Coastal means. 4 straight years of it under Folden. Oh wait, we were 4th in the Coastal as well under him.

Advertisement
Back