What does a Coastal Division title mean anyway?

Kirijax

Senior
Everyone keeps talking about winning the Coastal Division. I realize we have to win it to get to the ACCCG, but a loss in the ACCCG has a lot more meaning than saying we won the Coastal Division. Is there even a trophy or banner for this title? The fact that we haven't even been able to win this thing is embarrassing enough and tells us where we stand in the scheme of things nowadays but for a Canes fan who has watched the team reach the pinnacle, talking about winning a Coastal Division title seems almost degrading. Just finish first, don't brag about being Coastal Division champs and get to the ACCCG. None of our traditional rivals are in the Coastal anyways. Get to the ACCCG and beat FSU there. That's all.

Advertisement
The only thing winning the Coastal division title does is makes us eligible to play in the ACCCG and gives us the possibility to make it to a BCS bowl game, that's it... The fact that we have not won jack in the ACC is downright degrading and embarrassing in itself.

Winning the Coastal just makes us the least ugly in a pack of ugly chicks. We may look like ****, but not as bad as the other dogs

It means ****all. But that is the baseline for a successful season, something we haven't had in 10 years in this conference.

As bad as it has been in the last several years, I would take a trip to the ACCCG

Advertisement
Means we are going to be ranked, playing in a big time game that will help with recruiting and give us a second chance at FSU(If we don't beat them the first time, though I doubt it).

Winning the Coastal is important because you aren't getting a BCS bowl without it. Beating Duke and GT are important because without it you can't win the Coastal. It's no more complicated than that.

BTW, the Canes play 2 of the 3 teams we have played most often in the history of the program every year now.

Advertisement
It means this program has done something for the first time in its history Sadly enough

I'm sure you are referring to "in it's ACC history" - which by the way we have a basketball title in. In our football history we have 5 rings and were at one time the pipeline to the NFL. I know it's old news but it is our history - one which all of us would like to see restored. First step is to finally win the Coastal and at least get the chance to play in the ACCG.

Winning the Coastal is important because you aren't getting a BCS bowl without it. Beating Duke and GT are important because without it you can't win the Coastal. It's no more complicated than that.

BTW, the Canes play 2 of the 3 teams we have played most often in the history of the program every year now.

Then how did Clemson get the Orange Bowl last year vs Ohio St?

It really is that simple. Unless you are trying to make yet another thread about the lack of accomplishments of the program or staff.

Advertisement

Clemson is not in the Coastal. The Coastal is a ****fest. If you don't win it, you aren't going to a BCS bowl. If 5 years that may no longer be true, but it is right now.

Clemson is not in the Coastal. The Coastal is a ****fest. If you don't win it, you aren't going to a BCS bowl. If 5 years that may no longer be true, but it is right now.

I'm well aware of Clemson not being in the Coastal. It was meant more so that you don't have to be the Division Champ to still get a BCS bid. So you are wrong there. And if the Coastal is such a ****fest it would be all but guaranteed that the champ wouldnt even be considered for an at-large bid.

Also, the BCS is no more.

I'm well aware of Clemson not being in the Coastal. It was meant more so that you don't have to be the Division Champ to still get a BCS bid. So you are wrong there. And if the Coastal is such a ****fest it would be all but guaranteed that the champ wouldnt even be considered for an at-large bid.

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

So we are getting into the Playoff, since the BCS is no more, without winning the Coastal?

Advertisement
Everyone keeps talking about winning the Coastal Division. I realize we have to win it to get to the ACCCG, but a loss in the ACCCG has a lot more meaning than saying we won the Coastal Division. Is there even a trophy or banner for this title? The fact that we haven't even been able to win this thing is embarrassing enough and tells us where we stand in the scheme of things nowadays but for a Canes fan who has watched the team reach the pinnacle, talking about winning a Coastal Division title seems almost degrading. Just finish first, don't brag about being Coastal Division champs and get to the ACCCG. None of our traditional rivals are in the Coastal anyways. Get to the ACCCG and beat FSU there. That's all.

Getting to the ACCCG almost guarantees a great bowl game somewhere between Christmas and New Year's Eve. It might even be in prime time against a top Conference USA or MAC team.

Go for the Coastal!

I think if we win more then 8 games, we did better then expected coming into the season.
The off-season hype train started rolling and people started thinking we could win 10-11 games this year with a True Freshmen QB.

If someone were to bring up the thread that spoke about people predictions for the the upcoming season (this season) you'll see that people were being people realistic going from 6-6 to 9-4, the average seemed to be 7.5 wins, which is what were kind of expecting 4 games into the season now.

Personally, I think if we win 9 games we win the Coastal and something happened and after seeing whats going on at FSU we might, just might have a chance. Remember even last years terrible defense gave Jameis fits, well the first 3 quarters at least.

Arguing for the sake of arguing.

So we are getting into the Playoff, since the BCS is no more, without winning the Coastal?

You have to win the ACC CG to get into the Playoff. Just winning the Coastal wont do that. Yes, you have to win the Coastal to get into the ACC CG, but the thread is asking what the Coastal Division Champs mean as a stand-alone. It means nothing. It's the baseline of expectations.

It's like the Atlanta Braves having all the pennants up before you walk into Turner Field, and the last few say "Wild Card Champions". It's a pathetic participation trophy.

Winning the Coastal should be a given, every single year or at the very least 9 out of 10 years.

If you would have told me 10 years ago that after 10 seasons in the ACC we would have zero ACC titles I would have called you a liar.
But the fact that we've never even made it to the ACCCG is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Advertisement
Back