What do you think is Stephen Morris's ceiling?

In hindsight, one of us was proven right and one of us wrong. I will leave it up to the posters who was correct.

I was wrong about Morris's decision-making. It was good as a junior, bad as a senior. I underestimated the Fisch effect and overestimated Morris's personal development.

Very curious to see if he develops at the next level or falls by the wayside.

Advertisement
His ankle was an excuse! Tell me when he didn't come up fake limping after running out of bounds a yard short of the chains on third or fourth?

Guy had morte excuses than Golden. More stories that the World Trade Center.

He was ALWAYS hurt unless he was playing well.

And Morris and Fisch NEVER had even a decent game against average or better opponents. That's a myth.

I bet someone a meal at Prime 112 that he would be a 1st rounder

1.jpg%20

And Morris and Fisch NEVER had even a decent game against average or better opponents. That's a myth.

This is what I don't get. He had 5 more picks this year than last......which would lead you to believe that his "decision" making was better. Maybe, but it was marginal. I'm not sure if you guys remember, but in 2012 Morris had double digit throws that literally bounced right off defenders hands. He has ALWAYS been a bad decision maker, yes even under the legendary Jedd Fisch.

Morris had a higher completion percentage (pre bowl game) in 13' than 12'. Higher yards per attempt in 13' and same # of TD's. This all with a bum ankle. Not trying to say he did well this year, just trying to debunk the myth that is Stephen Morris's Jr. year with Jedd Fisch. Dude had a 56% completion under Fisch. That is bad quarterbacking. He also completed plenty of screens/horizontal passes in Fisch's offense too.

Just keep it real, that's all I ask.

Advertisement
In hindsight, one of us was proven right and one of us wrong. I will leave it up to the posters who was correct.

I was wrong about Morris's decision-making. It was good as a junior, bad as a senior. I underestimated the Fisch effect and overestimated Morris's personal development.

Very curious to see if he develops at the next level or falls by the wayside.

He prolly won't be drafted high enough to even be developed.

This is what I don't get. He had 5 more picks this year than last......which would lead you to believe that his "decision" making was better. Maybe, but it was marginal. I'm not sure if you guys remember, but in 2012 Morris had double digit throws that literally bounced right off defenders hands. He has ALWAYS been a bad decision maker, yes even under the legendary Jedd Fisch.

Last year, his INT to Attempt rate was the lowest we've had since 2000. And that is with a high-risk offense that depended on his big plays. This year, we had to take the ball out of his hands at times.

At first I thought he was just stagnating, but he definitely regressed. That's why the same people who were drooling over his junior film are calling him undraftable. Loss of confidence, no solid mechanical base to fall back on, and (IMO) too much of a comfortable attitude.

Last year, his INT to Attempt rate was the lowest we've had since 2000. And that is with a high-risk offense that depended on his big plays. This year, we had to take the ball out of his hands at times.

At first I thought he was just stagnating, but he definitely regressed. That's why the same people who were drooling over his junior film are calling him undraftable. Loss of confidence, no solid mechanical base to fall back on, and (IMO) too much of a comfortable attitude.

A lot of that had to do with his ankle this year, so my criticism is maybe a bit unfair. Confidence or not, he doesn't have the mental makeup of an elite quarterback. Never has, never will.

He had three good games at the end of the 12' season, against terrible defenses. That is what made scouts drool.

Advertisement
I think he'll get drafted but will have a career as a back up... He isn't nearly as bad as our fanbase makes him and I believe we'll miss him next year... That being said we must keep things in perspective... I don't think he nor the team prepared well for this upcoming year... Last year he had a great last 4 games but it was against some bad teams... We also should consider that he had like 7 tds that were offsides and the defenses just stop playing and allowed our wideouts to streak down the field without a defender... I think he like 3 of those against NCState... We took those things for granted instead of working with him... I recall a td pass against NC stated where the ball hit the Defender's mask and bounced into a receivers hands... We didn't have those breaks last this past season...

His stats against good or average teams was AWFUL his entire career.

In 2012, KSU, FSU, ND and in 2013 FSU, VT, Duke and UL, he was THE 3 and out king! Dude couldn't wait to throw away the FSU game in the second half.

And INTs are not everything. How many times did he miss wide open recievers and badly misthrow easy passes? Whenever it mattered, is the answer.

Kaaya better be the goods, or we are 4-5 years with terrible QB play.

This will forever be his ceiling. And the one thing he was pretty darn good at.

[video=youtube;ZTK7dPA0bkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTK7dPA0bkw[/video]

[video=youtube;jIE1LhZ1oTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIE1LhZ1oTU[/video]

While I couldn't get your links to work on my phone, your avi was more than enough entertainment.

Highlights of the NC State bomb last year, and the long TD pass against UF this fall. Both to Dorsett over the top.

Last edited:

I'd challenge that statement. A lot of the big plays we hit last year (2012) were deep downfield and often one on one coverage. At least a handful of bombs or long pass plays I can think of were on the edges, sometimes on a gadget/frozen Oline play, or horizontal (think Herb Waters at the end of the season). He almost shockingly avoided the middle of the field, which I thought he'd correct this year.

I don't know who drooled over his junior film and what they saw other than a really live arm. Brooks, who was someone you originally cited, I guess would fall under the "drool" category and that guy apparently had no idea what he was looking at when he called Morris an anticipation and rhythm guy. I think those people are just chasing trends and the popular thing to say. They rarely base their comments on actual plays. I know you've mentioned our coaches and internal guys, but I guess I'm just skeptical because we never saw evidence of any of it in a game. We hoped for it for sure. Myself included.

Fisch actually did a really good job of managing risks with the passing game last year in either going predominantly deep vertical (the type of passes that essentially end in punts) or horizontal passing game. Outside of a handful of rifled throws in between defenders or on Corner routes, Morris has never shown the ability to successfully maneuver a high risk passing game (over LBs and in front of Safeties or one with multiple reads).

Last edited:
Advertisement

Morris had a higher completion percentage (pre bowl game) in 13' than 12'. Higher yards per attempt in 13' and same # of TD's. This all with a bum ankle. Not trying to say he did well this year, just trying to debunk the myth that is Stephen Morris's Jr. year with Jedd Fisch. Dude had a 56% completion under Fisch. That is bad quarterbacking. He also completed plenty of screens/horizontal passes in Fisch's offense too.

Just keep it real, that's all I ask.
This right here.

This will forever be his ceiling. And the one thing he was pretty darn good at.

[video=youtube;ZTK7dPA0bkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTK7dPA0bkw[/video]

[video=youtube;jIE1LhZ1oTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIE1LhZ1oTU[/video]

While I couldn't get your links to work on my phone, your avi was more than enough entertainment.

Highlights of the NC State bomb last year, and the long TD pass against UF this fall. Both to Dorsett over the top.

Yeah I saw them when I got on my computer. That throw in the UF game... Straight fap material, especially at the time. Regardless of how bad UF wound up, and how the season ended for us, winning that game was sweet.

Definitely a fact and not just an opinion.

No quarterback should ever feel comfortable saying "you win some, you lose some".

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, that he said that or that Golden did nothing about it.

Advertisement
Fisch actually did a really good job of managing risks with the passing game last year in either going predominantly deep vertical (the type of passes that essentially end in punts) or horizontal passing game.

I agree that Fisch did a good job of managing risks. But Morris was a lot more patient, too. There was no outright buffoonery like we saw against UNC this year. When the defense was getting gashed against teams like Georgia Tech and Duke, he made some big league throws and hit some tiny windows.

I actually thought we relied on the horizontal passing game more this year. After the BC game last year, Fisch seemed to go away from it. By the end of 2013, though, those smoke routes to Hurns and screens to Coley and Waters were the most consistent offense we had.

Kaaaya better be ready as a true frosh. We have NO chance to win at all with a QB that couldn't beat out Morris, so Olsen and Williams are fin, and if Golden tries to broker another year with the "Wait till we have a QB! Wait till Kaaya in 2015!", then **** him!

Fisch actually did a really good job of managing risks with the passing game last year in either going predominantly deep vertical (the type of passes that essentially end in punts) or horizontal passing game.

I agree that Fisch did a good job of managing risks. But Morris was a lot more patient, too. There was no outright buffoonery like we saw against UNC this year. When the defense was getting gashed against teams like Georgia Tech and Duke, he made some big league throws and hit some tiny windows.

I actually thought we relied on the horizontal passing game more this year. After the BC game last year, Fisch seemed to go away from it. By the end of 2013, though, those smoke routes to Hurns and screens to Coley and Waters were the most consistent offense we had.

True. Without being able to use the middle of the field and without Duke, by the end of 2013, that's basically all we had.

Advertisement
Back