What do you think is Stephen Morris's ceiling?

No. It means we don't have much (any?) evidence of it right now in pads and during live action. Please re-read my post.

Brooks clearly states his opinion comes from a combination of film (would like to know what film he looked at, but I digress) and his observations from a camp where they played in shorts. Bucky Brooks is saying something that isn't substantiated on the football field because existing "game tape" actually shows Morris struggles with anticipation, touch and rhythm. It shows he does other things very well and has great attributes, though.

His words sound a lot like scouting fluff or outright speculation/projection. That'd be fine, but he didn't say he projects it. Unless you read something I missed, he doesn't cite any specific play, game or evidence to support his conclusions. It doesn't mean it won't be true this upcoming year. We all hope it becomes true.

Well Lu, why would he say those things?

Advertisement
he was getting props at the manning camp. if he plays again like last yr i think he can be a late first early 2nd.

I think at best a 3rd rounder. The amount of balls that should be picked off is a ton. He does not have good vision or decision making. Accuracy can get better with practice but decision making rarely does. It's something you are born with.

Completely disagree with this.

Morris's decision-making is very good, as several scouts and Coach Golden have pointed out. His interception rate last year was the lowest since Dorsey in 2000. He rarely throws into double coverage. He also did a phenomenal job running the no-huddle last year-- very few procedure penalties and often caught the defense out of position. Coach Golden recently spoke to WQAM about how Morris understands offensive concepts and said he will impress people at the combine with his IQ.

The issues with Morris are physical-- accuracy and touch. You are born with it to an extent, but then again Morris's accuracy isn't completely broken. I think it can improve as he becomes more settled and consistent with his footwork and fundamentals. That will also improve his redzone performance. He doesn't anticipate throws very well, either, but that is common for a quarterback with Morris's arm strength. Plenty of NFL quarterbacks had that same knock coming out.

Morris has ton going for him: sublime arm strength, toughness and character, athleticism (for a pocket passer), grip strength, whip-like delivery, familiarity with pro concepts. Expect the buzz about him to pick up around the time of the Manning Passing Academy in July.

If I'm projecting, he could go anywhere from first to fourth depending on the quality of his senior year. I'd compare him to a cross between Matthew Stafford and Jake Locker. The safe money is late second round.

:eekeyes:

No. It means we don't have much (any?) evidence of it right now in pads and during live action. Please re-read my post.

Brooks clearly states his opinion comes from a combination of film (would like to know what film he looked at, but I digress) and his observations from a camp where they played in shorts. Bucky Brooks is saying something that isn't substantiated on the football field because existing "game tape" actually shows Morris struggles with anticipation, touch and rhythm. It shows he does other things very well and has great attributes, though.

His words sound a lot like scouting fluff or outright speculation/projection. That'd be fine, but he didn't say he projects it. Unless you read something I missed, he doesn't cite any specific play, game or evidence to support his conclusions. It doesn't mean it won't be true this upcoming year. We all hope it becomes true.

Well Lu, why would he say those things?

I won't speculate as to why he said those things. All I know is it's tough to debate that, while those things may come true this year, he mentioned he saw them on tape (and cross-referenced them with what he saw in a passing camp). The aspects of Morris' game where he needed to improve are actually anticipation, touch and rhythm. We can all play the videos of last years games.

Advertisement
Folks are nit picking here. To say Morris needs to improve on things is not saying much since EVERY YOUNG QB needs to improve on things.
But Morris has the goods and no reason to think he won't be able too.

I think he's the most talented guy from a physical standpoint at this position at Miami since Craig Erickson( who would've gone much higher in the draft if he didn't injure his knee before the 91 Draft)

I think he's the most talented guy from a physical standpoint at this position at Miami since Craig Erickson( who would've gone much higher in the draft if he didn't injure his knee before the 91 Draft)

Bump from beyond.

The above is probably still true - that he's the most talented guy from a physical standpoint since Erickson - but unfortunately (for us and himself) he hasn't been able to put it all together.

Advertisement
Lets all call it even... Everyone just neg themselves one time and we'll let this thread fade out and we'll never talk about it again

Advertisement
Classic example of preseason homerism hype gone awry.

Yup, I bought into it too. :crownpour:

Nothing wrong with being excited about the possibilities. I doubt friggin' anyone was hoping for Morris to do anything but make the leap.

What's your take on why he did not make the leap?

Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that part of it is just him and another part is that it doesn't help when an entire football staff is littered with dominant recruiters who may look at technical stuff as being secondarily important.

Classic example of preseason homerism hype gone awry.

Nothing wrong with being excited about the possibilities. I doubt friggin' anyone was hoping for Morris to do anything but make the leap.

Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that part of it is just him and another part is that it doesn't help when an entire football staff is littered with dominant recruiters who may look at technical stuff as being secondarily important.

Do you think it was unreasonable loyalty to seniors that had him starting all year, Williams was flat out not there yet, or a combination of things?

Do you think it was unreasonable loyalty to seniors that had him starting all year, Williams was flat out not there yet, or a combination of things?

No, I don't think it was unreasonable. I think there were a lot of factors at play. I would have liked to see Williams catch a few snaps, but I get the rationale for sticking with who they thought was our best option.

Advertisement

No, I don't think it was unreasonable. I think there were a lot of factors at play. I would have liked to see Williams catch a few snaps, but I get the rationale for sticking with who they thought was our best option.

Agreed.

I think the key difference to keep in mind between Morris of this past year, and the JR year Morris that created all of this hype is simply who he had as his QB Coach/OC. Fisch had a good thing going with Morris. Morris ended his JR season on a hot streak, and looked to be developing exponentially. Fisch, I believe, was the one keeping Morris on track--and they had a good relationship that allowed Morris to develop mentally, and as a player overall.

Then the Jags came calling, and Fisch left.

We replaced Fisch with Coley, who is known mostly as a recruiting beast, but hadn't shown anything much as an offensive coach (in terms of developing talent). I never got the feeling that Morris ever connected with Coley like he did Fisch. Funny thing about kids like Morris--sometimes, the smallest (or biggest) change can create absolute chaos in your world, and put you way outside of your comfort zone (like the one he had developed with Fisch).

Looking back--the hype was well-deserved. Morris seemed to be (pardon the pun) trending upward, but I don't think any of us felt that losing Fisch would cause such a digression on Morris' part. But...here we are. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Back