What do you think about what Keontra Smith is saying here?

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
I (we) have heard rumors about our coaches slow-playing DB recruits.

I have no solid opinion about this issue yet...
But what do yall think about what Keontra Smith says in this video? (starting @ 5:00)

Advertisement
That’s how a lot of Miami kids seem to feel when we don’t offer as soon as they want. Is what it is. He’s a cane through and through.

That’s not a good look at all. There seems to be a different methodology from the offense to defense on recruiting.

To me its bullshyt these local recruits wanting an offer their freshman year but it's not feasible to expect these KIDS to stay committed for 4 years. The ncaa shouldn't even allow kids to commit till their junior year. Its easy for an out of town school to offer whoever the *** they want and break connection the minute development or growth stops. We dont have that luxury which is why we need to be selective so we dont have to look like the bad guys when we have to break ties to these local athletes because we always will get the worst backlash. I get these kids want the offer in elementary school but what's an offer even a year out of signing day? Its not like were throwing offers in at the last minute. Earn your offer, Be patient, and carry that chip on your shoulder to prove the doubters wrong.

Advertisement
Fwiw it pains me to see we wait to offer local kids, BUT we’re willing to slow play the ones we do AND stop talking to the ones that commit that we no longer want. Offer the kids early and “if” there’s someone you like more, slow play the kid. “If” the kid commits early and he’s not what you want later in the cycle, lock up the one you do and bounce him respectfully like every other program. We don’t have a consistent plan across all positions. It’s a glaring weakness and desperately needs to be cleaned up. Assuming everything i’d do is wrong, great...... our head coach needs a recruiting coordinator that has a defined plan everyone follows and buys into.

What these kids don't realize is that those OOS schools are offering them early the same as we are offering OOS recruits early...

The top kids in the state of Bama get offered after the kids from OOS, the same with Cali kids, and Ohio kids.

Texas is the only kin to what we have to deal with. Those kids are like Miami kids, if they don't get offered early by UT then they're heading to LSU, Oklahoma, or OK State.

Fwiw it pains me to see we wait to offer local kids, BUT we’re willing to slow play the ones we do AND stop talking to the ones that commit that we no longer want. Offer the kids early and “if” there’s someone you like more, slow play the kid. “If” the kid commits early and he’s not what you want later in the cycle, lock up the one you do and bounce him respectfully like every other program. We don’t have a consistent plan across all positions. It’s a glaring weakness and desperately needs to be cleaned up. Assuming everything i’d do is wrong, great...... our head coach needs a recruiting coordinator that has a defined plan everyone follows and buys into.

Every other program doesn't bounce a kid respectfully. Lack of communication is a common theme with P5 schools as it relates to kids that are getting phased out. You saw it with Dean and Bama two cycles ago. He literally said that he didn't hear from the Bama staff anymore which is why he went ahead and committed to Bama.

Advertisement
Bama is the only program that can get away with offering a kid at halftime during their last game senior year and kids get all ******* excited. We have to offer the moment they pop out of the womb or we “slow played” them.

You don't think a kid has the right to wonder WTF is going on when he's got offers from Michigan, Bama, etc...but none from the school 30 minutes down the street?

Every other program doesn't bounce a kid respectfully. Lack of communication is a common theme with P5 schools as it relates to kids that are getting phased out. You saw it with Dean and Bama two cycles ago. He literally said that he didn't hear from the Bama staff anymore which is why he went ahead and committed to Bama.
If that’s the respectful way to say goodbye, than great. I just want a plan that’s consistent across all positions and coaches. There’s obviously something lacking on the execution side, if there is a structured plan.

Advertisement
You don't think a kid has the right to wonder WTF is going on when he's got offers from Michigan, Bama, etc...but none from the school 30 minutes down the street?

I think it’s pretty clear the coaches have been trying to build value with our offers. They want it to mean something when you get that UM offer. That’s why we don’t send out 300+ offers like UF and FSU. We are far more selective. Every school in the country wants to build a pipeline down here as well. So they offer everyone in hopes that they can get their foot in the door somewhere. Even if it’s a marginal prospect, having some south Florida blood on your roster will help next cycle. We already have a lot of the relationships in place with these high schools and coaches down here. Other schools can’t ignore south Florida talent because we can’t possibly keep them all home. But in the same breath, we can’t ignore the rest of the country’s talent just because we have a wealth of it in our backyard. There has to be balance. I just wish kids would stop taking offense as to when they receive the offer, and instead looked at it as a reward that they received the offer at all.

Its a Catch 22 situation..

A lot of schools want Miami to offer these kids early so Miami can fill up there spots early.... Miami is in a no win situation..

THen again - Miami maybe wastes a little to long to offer the real ballers that want to be in and - i,e .Jordan Battle

Miami should buy in bulk at costco instead of running to food store every other day.

JC

What coachecane said. It’s what schools do to local kids as they evaluate. All schools offer out of stare kids earlier than local school to get in the game. Doesn’t mean those kids have commitable offers. That’s what these kids don’t understand.

Advertisement

Because the rule set is offer the out of state kids early in the process. Miami has offered one of the lowest amounts of scholarships this cycle. I like it because it makes a Miami offer more valuable. Miami starts winning big and these kids will wait and be thankful that got a commitable offer.

What I got out of the Smith interview is he shut it done. He values the offer and he values his commitment and he is not going to play games and risk Miami moving in a different direction. Overall good strategy moving forward to deal with the primadonnas and the handlers.

It's a double edged sword.

Offer a kid too early and then he has what he wants in his back pocket and his mentality could change to "let me make sure I see what's out there before." The other issue is offering too many guys and then we have issues with having to turn kids down who HAVE been offered scholarships because a kid higher on the board decides to commit. To me, that is worse than giving a late offer. You burn serious bridges with locals and high school coaching staffs when you go back on your word. Recruiting games are very gray.

Offer a kid too late and you run into situations similar to this where kids are ****ed we weren't on them earlier. And there's the flipside to that with kids like Harley, Bandy, and even Keontra that have so much love for the U and their city that a late offer, while being a little insulting, was still their ultimate goal. Kids that commit on late offers to me are the true gems of classes. Shows me they understand the benefits of hard work and the reality of competition. I always have a ton of respect for those kids.

What we need to make sure we are doing is communicating with these local kids consistently even if they haven't been evaluated to the point of an offer yet. It's a lot of work but we should be able to establish if these kids love the U from an early stage in their recruitment. Those are the kids we need to have a line of communication with even if we haven't offered yet.

Choose the lesser evil and offer late IMO. But that line of communication better be crystal clear.

I honestly don’t think it makes a difference when we offer these kids (whether it’s their freshman, sophomore, junior year etc.) Only time it matters is when it’s super late in the process.

These kids know where they want to go and if a kid really wants to come to Miami, it won’t make a difference when the offer comes. If a kid really wants to go to USC, for example, and everyone offers as a soph and then USC comes in beginning of senior year with an offer, that kid is going to USC.

In my opinion, “late” offers are just an excuse if a kid doesn’t want to come here.

Advertisement
Back