What could a 16 team CFP Look like?

The beauty of college is football is unlike any other sport the first week of the regular season matters almost as much as any other game. You cant really lose 2 games. Nfl regular season can’t match that intensity because there’s a larger playoff.

This playoff would be 4 weeks.

Why trade 10+ weeks of intensity for four? Any team left outside of the four team playoff most likely isn’t the best team in the nation anyway.

Also the further you expand a single elimination system the more fluky things become.

We’d know almost all the teams that would make a 16 team playoff, why turn the attitude in the regular season to “doesn’t matter until the playoffs”? Americans are just playoff junkies when It doesn’t necessarily make things more exciting or fair
I agree that 16 is too much. In addition to the points that you made you would have the teams that make the title game potentially playing 17 games (12 regular season, conf championship, sweet 16, elite 8, final 4 and the championship). And anyone ranked in the double digits doesn't have a legit claim to play for the Championship to me.

On the other hand, it does feel like the teams that make the playoffs could be extended a bit. To me the perfect number would be 6, but that would mean that 2 teams would get a bye which some people might not like. If there was a lot of pushback to that I could be talked into 8 teams; either 6 or 8 would be better than 4.

Advertisement
I hope they never do anything as stupid as power 5 winners automatically get in UNLESS they go to 16 teams … and I hope they NEVER, EVER go to 16 teams. I’d rather 4-6 great teams get in from one conference than leave out 2-3 excellent teams just because a **** conference has an automatic.

6 teams is perfect. Top to get a bye, makes every game all year important. And that’s why we love college football.
I think 6 teams is probably right.

Every Power 5 Conference winner + the best of the rest. Gives the SEC a chance to get a second team in and / or opens the door for a Cinci / UCF.

Top 4 get a bye, worst Power 5 Conference winner plays the second ACC / SEC etc team.

These 1st round matchups of a hypothetical 8 team playoff would be nuts:

Alabama (1) vs Miami (8)
Notre Dame (2) vs Cincinnati (7)
Clemson (3) vs Florida (6)
Ohio State (4) vs Texas A&M (5)

Intriguing matchups and potential for multiple upsets if you ask me.

Advertisement
I rather just go back to the old Bowl System. Well, not the really old- back room deals one, but like an updated version of it.

Have Conference Champion Bowl Game affiliations. (Big 10 Champ always playing Pac 10 Champ in Rose, SEC always in the Sugar, Etc.)

Then after the Bowls have a plus one on a neutral site if there is no clear cut Champion.
In some years we will know who the best team is after the Bowls so there is no need for a Championship game.

I know this will never happen but I would rather see that than any of these 6, 8, 16 team playoffs.

There is no parody in CFB right now. If fans stop feeling like they have a chance, they stop watching. I think expanding the playoffs will be a must otherwise you risk losing a lot of fan bases. If you make each P5 conference have an auto bid, top G5 school, 2 at large bids that can still make your season relevant because the best way to get in is to win your conference. Then there are 2 good schools that can still get in and it allows the G5 winner to get in and have a chance. I like it
Most fans already know they don’t have a chance and they still watch. That is Not going to happen

For starters, it would have a field of 16 teams in some sort of seeded order.

After 15 games played, a champion would emerge.

😁

Advertisement
I hope they never do anything as stupid as power 5 winners automatically get in UNLESS they go to 16 teams … and I hope they NEVER, EVER go to 16 teams. I’d rather 4-6 great teams get in from one conference than leave out 2-3 excellent teams just because a **** conference has an automatic.
Then why not eliminate conferences all together rather than perpetuating the conference caste system that is in place now?

Imagine the poor ******* who would have to sell that our reward for going 10-1 (well, 9-1 now) is a trip to Ames, Iowa in January.

Advertisement
16 team playoff is too much. Discredits the season. I think a 4-6 team playoff is just fine. If you’re higher than that then you don’t have a legit argument for a title.

So we would go through all of that mess just to have Bama and Clemson play each other again.

Seems like a waste of time.
Based on your thinking there should only be one a game year. Bama and Clemson.

Some changes make look beak and most hold true to what you thought in the beginning, but sometimes everything goes right for underdog and nothing goes right for the highly favored. It's call upsets. So just let them keep playing and hope for the upsets. At least it gives us a season to indulge.

Advertisement
Based on your thinking there should only be one a game year. Bama and Clemson.

Some changes make look beak and most hold true to what you thought in the beginning, but sometimes everything goes right for underdog and nothing goes right for the highly favored. It's call upsets. So just let them keep playing and hope for the upsets. At least it gives us a season to indulge.
Have you watched the playoffs? Most of the games have been blowouts.
So based on your logic you want to add more teams that have no chance to win and just "hope" that they win.

That makes little sense to me.

Have you watched the playoffs? Most of the games have been blowouts.
So based on your logic you want to add more teams that have no chance to win and "hope".

That makes little sense to me.
And every now and then up have upsets. Perhaps you never witnessed one but that's why you play the games. And what makes little sense is to just conceded and do nothing. That's loser mentality.

Advertisement
Back