What could a 16 team CFP Look like?

Advertisement
I am a proponent of an 8 team playoff personally - 16 seems like too much. Power 5 champs + 3 at large and you can use the New Year’s 6 bowls to fit it nicely.

If ever there was a year to test it...whether 8 or 16...this would have been it, though. With no cross conference competition to gauge where teams / conferences are against one another it would have been ideal. But the NCAA of course is gutless.

I have no hope that it will ever change.

Advertisement
One thing I will say...a scenario like that would garner some serious ratings...aka some serious $$$$$$$$$$$

Since that’s all they think about at the governing level you would think they would at least consider it.

Can’t believe people want more teams in a playoff. As it is every **** game is a playoff!! Why make the season less important. And does a 3 or 4 loss team deserve a shot?

I always knew Iowa was the best football state in the country.

but the result would be the same, the only thing this would do is introduce the greater possibility of an injury to a major player. This isn’t basketball

Advertisement
First game at field of higher seed. Second round moves on to the Peach, Fiesta, Cotton and Orange Bowls. Semi Finals at Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl. Uses the format of NCAA basketball bracket: 1 vs 16, 2vs 15, etc

This is a great format, I’ve advocated for 8g playoff, but this is the best, unfortunately it also the worst bc it was posted by a ***ing Nole

Advertisement
Oh ****! A showdown against ND in the Cotton Bowl! I could see Harley doing a Thrill Hill reboot!

It’s absurd to say 8 teams is better or 16. How do you know it’s better? There will always be teams on the cusp who deserve to be part of the new formats, anyways. It solves nothing.

Might as well make the regular season 9 games with a conference title game and make it top 32 teams. Then the most games the champion and runner up can play is 16.

The lack of a possible Cinderella story in football is a talking point. I just feel like if a cincy meets a bama after weeks of advanced scouting they’d get boatraced

Advertisement
I am a proponent of an 8 team playoff personally - 16 seems like too much. Power 5 champs + 3 at large and you can use the New Year’s 6 bowls to fit it nicely.

If ever there was a year to test it...whether 8 or 16...this would have been it, though. With no cross conference competition to gauge where teams / conferences are against one another it would have been ideal. But the NCAA of course is gutless.

I have no hope that it will ever change.
Exactly. 5 conference champs and 3 at large. Gives the Cinci's, USF's, BYU's a chance and 2nd place teams from SEC and ACC...a potential spot. Done

The beauty of college is football is unlike any other sport the first week of the regular season matters almost as much as any other game. You cant really lose 2 games. Nfl regular season can’t match that intensity because there’s a larger playoff.

This playoff would be 4 weeks.

Why trade 10+ weeks of intensity for four? Any team left outside of the four team playoff most likely isn’t the best team in the nation anyway.

Also the further you expand a single elimination system the more fluky things become.

We’d know almost all the teams that would make a 16 team playoff, why turn the attitude in the regular season to “doesn’t matter until the playoffs”? Americans are just playoff junkies when It doesn’t necessarily make things more exciting or fair

There is no parody in CFB right now. If fans stop feeling like they have a chance, they stop watching. I think expanding the playoffs will be a must otherwise you risk losing a lot of fan bases. If you make each P5 conference have an auto bid, top G5 school, 2 at large bids that can still make your season relevant because the best way to get in is to win your conference. Then there are 2 good schools that can still get in and it allows the G5 winner to get in and have a chance. I like it

Exactly. 5 conference champs and 3 at large. Gives the Cinci's, USF's, BYU's a chance and 2nd place teams from SEC and ACC...a potential spot. Done
I would go one more step, power 5 winners, one spot for highest rank group of five, and two at large with no conference having more than
two teams. Therefore at best, only two teams tops from the favoritism show to the SEC.

Advertisement
Back