What could a 16 team CFP Look like?

Underdogs never have a chance...

Congratulates Phi Slamma Jamma on their 1983 national title and Georgetown for theirs in 1985

Advertisement
Underdogs never have a chance...

Congratulates Phi Slamma Jamma on their 1983 national title and Georgetown for theirs in 1985
In Basketball it is relatively easy to compete though.

All you really need are two or three blue chips and you can compete with anyone in the country.
Or if you are a Mid -major that has solid upper classmen that have played together/within a system for many years you can make a run.

Football is a totally different animal.

Last edited:
Imma be honest; they’re going to have to do something. Not just for teams who deserve a shot, but these bowl games need some spit shine to add some luster to them. Teams and players are opting out all these bowl games (Blame L Fournette), that are not CFP. It would benefit them as well. Need an 8 team Playoff. Cut the Reg season to 11 games + Conference Championship. Best 8 teams (giving a chance to some G5 teams) start playoffs last week in Dec.

Not sure why is this so difficult to accomplish.

That’s going to happen regardless this year
And how many times does Alabama vs Clemson have to happen for things to change? Five consecutive years. Ten? Twenty? Thirty? By that point, college football may have just contracted to just the SEC and a second 14 team collection.

Advertisement
Because the Conferences and the Bowl Committees do not want it to happen.
That can be defined as a difficult obstacle no?

U’re responding in reality v. logic. We all know y it hasn’t happened which I wasn’t touching upon. My point was everyone benefits from an 8 team model, including the bowl committees, so why r they making it difficult?

And how many times does Alabama vs Clemson have to happen for things to change? Five consecutive years. Ten? Twenty? Thirty? By that point, college football may have just contracted to just the SEC and a second 14 team collection.

I hear you, but college football is ridiculously cyclical. Miami/Nebraska in the 80s. Nebraska/FSU in the 90s. USC in the 00s. Clemson/Nebraska now.

These things change, and they will soon enough. Clemson and Alabama won't always be the dominant forces.

U’re responding in reality v. logic. We all know y it hasn’t happened which I wasn’t touching upon. My point was everyone benefits from an 8 team model, including the bowl committees, so why r they making it difficult?
They will get there.

My guess as a minimum will be conference champs plus a slot (or more) for at-large pick.

Advertisement
Imma be honest; they’re going to have to do something. Not just for teams who deserve a shot, but these bowl games need some spit shine to add some luster to them. Teams and players are opting out all these bowl games (Blame L Fournette), that are not CFP. It would benefit them as well. Need an 8 team Playoff. Cut the Reg season to 11 games + Conference Championship. Best 8 teams (giving a chance to some G5 teams) start playoffs last week in Dec.

Not sure why is this so difficult to accomplish.
But not McCaffrey?

Would look like the end of the regular season
BS.
Today, a season is over with 2 losses. The only teams playing for anything that matters are the 0 and 1 loss teams. 90% of CFB games are meaningless.

A 16 team playoff would actually make the regular season far more interesting, giving a significant portion of P5/Go5 teams something besides pride to play for deep Into the season.

Right now, these games really matter to only 5 or 6 teams. That’s a ****** regular season.

6 teams is perfect. Top to get a bye, makes every game all year important. And that’s why we love college football.
Imagine if games games were important all year to more than just 5-10 teams... that’s what a robust playoff does.. makes every game live or die for exponentially more teams.

Advertisement
I hear you, but college football is ridiculously cyclical. Miami/Nebraska in the 80s. Nebraska/FSU in the 90s. USC in the 00s. Clemson/Nebraska now.

These things change, and they will soon enough. Clemson and Alabama won't always be the dominant forces.
The game is different today. The top 5 teams have the resources to stay top 5. It’s not like 1999. where a coach could find unknown elite players, with no other major offers.

In Basketball it is relatively easy to compete though.

All you really need are two or three blue chips and you can compete with anyone in the country.
Or if you are a Mid -major that has solid upper classmen that have played together/within a system for many years you can make a run.

Football is a totally different animal.
Why bother playing games then? Never any upsets in football either right?

Advertisement
I am a proponent of an 8 team playoff personally - 16 seems like too much. Power 5 champs + 3 at large and you can use the New Year’s 6 bowls to fit it nicely.

If ever there was a year to test it...whether 8 or 16...this would have been it, though. With no cross conference competition to gauge where teams / conferences are against one another it would have been ideal. But the NCAA of course is gutless.

I have no hope that it will ever change.
I agree with 8 teams but just cause you win your conference championship should not me you are in.....What happens if a 3 loss team wins their conference.....should they get a chance over a team with 1 loss

Advertisement
Back