What ConstitutesAcceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

What Constitutes Acceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you for voting. Even though I think you’d be ok with 12-2 with a CoRstal Title & a NY6 bowl win with close losses to Bama and Clemson for 2021, we never know with you. People scoffed when you went Kosi Hive over Jarren but you also trolled that Mork Richt’s a great playcaller thing as well so there’s that too. Lol

I would be ok with that scenario as well as long as they’re very close losses to both Bama and Clemson.. (10 points and under)

Advertisement
Playing in the weak *** coastal...
reaching the ACCCG (yearly) should be the standard at Miami...just have to win enough to make it...once you get there be competitive....if you keep getting throttled no one will respect you regardless....

Example- UNC lost to FSU still has more respect than Miami...why? Cuz they beat our *** in the national spotlight late in the season...for me it starts with being competitive in our league first....the Bama game could get away from us, especially without King fully healthy ....once he's back 100% we should win enough to play a competitive game against Clemson for the ACC chip...anything else is unacceptable imo..

Hats off to everyone making a visible choice of their baseline standard for acceptable progress in 2021. The standards and expectations are pretty high considering where we’ve been. It seems that 0-1 to start is ok but if it’s a blow out about 40% of the board will rage - probably more.
Hey, I voted for Group 3 for the record. I drove across half of Costa Rica yesterday then had to drink a little so i didn't see this.

idk why fans always bring up the bowl game. If you're a 2-loss team your bowl game is pretty much irrelevant and it's likely that both teams will have key players quitting for the draft.

So take the bowl game out of the equation and the answer is to not be outclassed by Bama and Clemson. I don't want to hear the despair in Chris Fowler's voice again as another Cane team fails to compete with a top program and provide a compelling game.

Advertisement
Looking at the early numbers, clearly the board is overwhelmingly of the belief that only losses to Bama and Clemson are acceptable. That’s 2/3’s of the board. And close to 1/2 of that group says do that and the Clemson and Bama losses better be close games so that in 2021 we need to be competing at a top 5 level - or Fire Manny.

And yes you’d fire him for anything less because this is your baseline for Acceptable Progress in 2021 and any thing less than meeting the baseline of a particular group should result in the HC getting fired by that group.

I would also say this.

I could "forgive" a blowout loss to Alabama if we can make progress throughout the year and either beat Clemson at the end, or play them very close.

Again, a lot of this is the "eye test". We could also beat everyone in the Corstal, but if it's only by one score in each game, then that is not very impressive either.

I would also say this.

I could "forgive" a blowout loss to Alabama if we can make progress throughout the year and either beat Clemson at the end, or play them very close.

Again, a lot of this is the "eye test". We could also beat everyone in the Corstal, but if it's only by one score in each game, then that is not very impressive either.
Is it save to say we always struggle in the weakest division key word here always, this alone speaks loads.

We cannot focus on big fish when we’re struggling with bait fish .

Good post 👍

GOCANES

idk why fans always bring up the bowl game. If you're a 2-loss team your bowl game is pretty much irrelevant and it's likely that both teams will have key players quitting for the draft.

So take the bowl game out of the equation and the answer is to not be outclassed by Bama and Clemson. I don't want to hear the despair in Chris Fowler's voice again as another Cane team fails to compete with a top program and provide a compelling game.

Exactly. 2021 bowl games don't mean the same thing as 1981 bowl games. Times have changed.

Time to move to an Elite Eight, and (eventually) a Sweet Sixteen playoff.

Is it save to say we always struggle in the weakest division key word here always, this alone speaks loads.

We cannot focus on big fish when we’re struggling with bait fish .

Good post 👍

GOCANES

You need to give me the thumbs up in my post, I am desperate for more trophies.

Just kidding...and I love the big-fish/bait-fish analogy.

Advertisement
nick saban cfp 2019 GIF by ESPN

Advertisement
I’m not answering the poll question because I don’t like the choices.

optics, how we look makes a huge difference. Are we throttling the Duke type programs? Do we need miracle last second FGs to beat GT? Do we compete with Bama and come up short?

if we lose 40 something or 50 something to 10 to Bama it will be hard to feel great about where we are at. If the defense gets gashed week in week out and kings heroics win us tight games against mediocre teams it will be tough to get too excited.
I will say this, more than 3 loses is a pink slip IMO
I think that’s the answer of record and I agree with your sentiments about Bama destroying us and that more than 3 losses is unacceptable. I can only have so many choices in the poll.

It would be lovely if you guys would vote if you haven’t already:

Tag more. Tag them all. Put it in print. Vote your conscience???
I’m not sure it’s so straight and easy for me. At the end of the day, it all comes down to wins and losses, but how do we look in them? Is it like 2017? Are we dominating the teams we should? Are penalties and mental mistakes down?

Advertisement
So here’s how I’m breaking down the voting groups. No offense intended:

View attachment 145520View attachment 145521
Maybe if our team didn't play like they were wearing pink, some of us would have higher expectations. What I EXPECT from the team is not what I WANT for the team. I think the bigger pussies are the ones who refuse to look at our track record and enjoy their heads up their own asses. Now, carry on.

How the **** are y’all ok with another Diaz loss to UNC?... that would mean nothing has changed we’re not winning the Coastal and are going to lose again to whoever we play in the bowl.
You’re not wrong. I don’t like it. If it’s a close loss at UNC then it’s better than what happened last year. With a 2 loss season this way including Bama and a bowl win, it’s still a level up from last year. I’m not happy with it. I voted with the yellow bellies in Group 4 strictly on it being one level up progress from what happened last year and that would have to be acceptable to me. I think one level up progress each year for the next 2-3 years is what’s acceptable. That said, I would be happy with Group 3’s result this year. I don’t want a UNC loss.

I’m not sure it’s so straight and easy for me. At the end of the day, it all comes down to wins and losses, but how do we look in them? Is it like 2017? Are we dominating the teams we should? Are penalties and mental mistakes down?
Yes. You can vote and caveat in here.

Maybe if our team didn't play like they were wearing pink, some of us would have higher expectations. What I EXPECT from the team is not what I WANT for the team. I think the bigger pussies are the ones who refuse to look at our track record and enjoy their heads up their own asses. Now, carry on.
See I said don’t get offended. I called myself a soft yellow belly hedge baby for voting in Group 4. That stuff is all in fun.

Advertisement
Back