What ConstitutesAcceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

What Constitutes Acceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
12-2 with close losses to Bama and Clemson and winning bowl game is acceptable progress for this season. We should be improved in most position groups and improved in the coaching staff. No reason why we shouldn't win coastal easily. Like many have said, beating UNC is a must. I know as fans, we tend to overrate our players and position groups, but this is what I feel is a true objective look at each unit.

QB- question mark here, but should be improvement with healthy King coming back. Probably see bit of regression if no King for part of season
RB - Improvement. Everybody coming back better and stronger
WR - Improvement. I feel confident with Harley, Rambo, Smith being consistent. If guys like Pope, Redding, Restrepo, or any others step up, this could be a scary good group
OL - Improvement. Not a great unit, but should see improvement with the main guys being back for another year in same system.
TE - Yeah, we lost Brevin, but I don't think we will see a decline. Probably improvement if this group stays healthy which they were not last year.

DE - Slight decline. Losing Phillips will hurt, but I think we will see this group play solid
DT - Improvement. Silvera, Ford, Harrison-Hunte back and. Can Roberts or somebody else step up?
LB - Improvement. Probably our weakest group still, but I don't see how they can be any worse than last year.
CB - Improvement. Stevenson alone makes this better. Also hearing good things about Ivey this Spring
S - Improvement. From everything I'm hearing about this unit, they are looking great this Spring.

ST - Improvement. I think our coaches will find the right personnel for the return teams this year. Punt and KO return coverage should improve. Kicking game will probably decline. Borregales was one of the best kickers I've seen come thru here.

Advertisement
10-3 or 11-3 is even fine if two things happen.

1. Bama and Clemson game are at least competitive assuming Clemson is even good cause it could be fool's gold like when we beat UF in 2013 or whatever year that was (if they are a bad team who knows) we beat a bad UF team. And we know bama will most likely be elite throughout the year or close to it. It's a well coaches team with superior talent and it's a good measuring stick.

2. We do what I said in 1 and also land studs from our backyard we aren't suppose to land like a Taylor or Williams. If that happens I'm willing to give him one more year so whoever takes over has some pieces to play with. Even though they will hire a scrub again. Again though he has to beat out bama for who they want down here. Letting a Jacorey Brooks go is inexcusable......I know they will put excuses for the staff but there isn't an excuse. U change the kids mind whether it's promises or bags and if u can't then eventually u will have to clean out your desk in the future it's that simple.
Ok so you’re like in Group 3 possibly 4 depending on how we play. A 2 loss season with a 6 point loss to Bama and a 1-3 point loss to UNC plus recruiting studs and you’ll let him slide another year?

He’s not my boy @The Franchise but that’s fine. People like to rip him non-stop and defend him non-stop so what’s the bottom line this year? Here’s the thread where you can choose. I’m assuming you’re probably in Group 2 - Nothing less than close losses to Bama and Clemson? Or are you Group 3 - You can live with a 17 point loss to Bama and a 6 point loss to Clemson. Vote dude. Put it in writing.

What are you even talking about dude? This is a serious discussion right here with a thread and Pool I set up. You can vote too since you also are a participant in the Manny debates. Which Group are you in as It related to acceptable progress for next year? Vote dude. Put it it in writing.

View attachment 145539
Already said 10 wins is progress. If we lose to UNC, we may not get a shot at Clemson. Meaningless bowl is meaningless with so many players opting out these days and I’m not as sold that 9 is a number that gets Manny fired.

Second point of clarity: there is a lot of either click generation posts or just bad trolling due to limited amount of spring football info.

Advertisement
Already said 10 wins is progress. If we lose to UNC, we may not get a shot at Clemson. Meaningless bowl is meaningless with so many players opting out these days and I’m not as sold that 9 is a number that gets Manny fired.

Second point of clarity: there is a lot of either click generation posts or just bad trolling due to limited amount of spring football info.
I agree with you on the minimums.

I don’t know what’s going on with the site these days. It’s a weird time and we’re trying to get a sense of things. We had a bizarre year last year - CoVid, the election, Floyd... It all combined and did something to traffic.

Now we’re dealing with very little Canes news. We have 1 commitment and we hardly get any info out of camp because Manny keeps a lid on it - to his credit in a sense but it would also be good to energize your fanbase.

So what are we left with??? Whatever board members can post about the team and then everything else, good or bad, including @Go Canes!! 15-0 campaign with me and my gifs following him around. ****, we’re even poRsting warnings when he gets RepRoted to add to it. Now bAndrew is giving everyone and their mother a trophy for coming out of the closet and posting something and for getting an upvote as well.

I agree with you on the minimums.

I don’t know what’s going on with the site these days. It’s a weird time and we’re trying to get a sense of things. We had a bizarre year last year - CoVid, the election, Floyd... It all combined and did something to traffic.

Now we’re dealing with very little Canes news. We have 1 commitment and we hardly get any info out of camp because Manny keeps a lid on it - to his credit in a sense but it would also be good to energize your fanbase.

So what are we left with??? Whatever board members can post about the team and then everything else, good or bad, including @Go Canes!! 15-0 campaign with me and my gifs following him around. ****, we’re even poRsting warnings when he gets RepRoted to add to it. Now bAndrew is giving everyone and their mother a trophy for coming out of the closet and posting something and for getting an upvote as well.
I shall report and troll 15-0 cause it's fun. Never reported before cause it's bytch move but I'll go back on my word and be a bytch about it. Ban me if we go 15-0

So a 4 loss season is unacceptable for a third year coach at a program that rarely has fewer than 4 losses. Got it.

Advertisement
12-2 with close losses to Bama and Clemson and winning bowl game is acceptable progress for this season. We should be improved in most position groups and improved in the coaching staff. No reason why we shouldn't win coastal easily. Like many have said, beating UNC is a must. I know as fans, we tend to overrate our players and position groups, but this is what I feel is a true objective look at each unit.

QB- question mark here, but should be improvement with healthy King coming back. Probably see bit of regression if no King for part of season
RB - Improvement. Everybody coming back better and stronger
WR - Improvement. I feel confident with Harley, Rambo, Smith being consistent. If guys like Pope, Redding, Restrepo, or any others step up, this could be a scary good group
OL - Improvement. Not a great unit, but should see improvement with the main guys being back for another year in same system.
TE - Yeah, we lost Brevin, but I don't think we will see a decline. Probably improvement if this group stays healthy which they were not last year.

DE - Slight decline. Losing Phillips will hurt, but I think we will see this group play solid
DT - Improvement. Silvera, Ford, Harrison-Hunte back and. Can Roberts or somebody else step up?
LB - Improvement. Probably our weakest group still, but I don't see how they can be any worse than last year.
CB - Improvement. Stevenson alone makes this better. Also hearing good things about Ivey this Spring
S - Improvement. From everything I'm hearing about this unit, they are looking great this Spring.

ST - Improvement. I think our coaches will find the right personnel for the return teams this year. Punt and KO return coverage should improve. Kicking game will probably decline. Borregales was one of the best kickers I've seen come thru here.
DE is likely more than a slight decline. Roche and Phillips.

ST, kicking will decline because how can it not. Coverage and returns can improve.

So a 4 loss season is unacceptable for a third year coach at a program that rarely has fewer than 4 losses. Got it.

We shouldn't be forced to compare 2021 to prior years. We should be able to analyze 2021 on its own. And aside from Alabama, all of our games are winnable. This is not a schedule that has Alabama, Clemson, Ohio Taint and Jimbo-era F$U on the calendar.

Genius logic.

Guess how you become a program that rarely has fewer than 4 losses?

You view losing 4 games as ’acceptable’ and justify coaches overseeing such losses as doing just fine.

Guess how you become a program that rarely loses 4 games?

You don’t view such losing as ‘acceptable’ or tolerate corches who stack losses like ****s.

Advertisement
I voted in Group 4 but if we have 4 losses this year then it’s bad because there’s no ACCCG to count in that. Bama, UNC plus 2 more not named Clemson or a top team?

At this stage for Manny that would be enough for me to start again without Blake choosing the HC either.

Advertisement
11-1 and Diaz is a Top 20 HC and we're set for years

10-2 is progress and we should be extremely happy

9-3 is a solid season and everyone gets to keep their jobs

8-4 and Diaz will have meet with the board to fight for his job, which he will likely keep

7-5 or worse and Diaz is fired and we start all over

You’re weaving in a few issues that imo are separate topics. I was addressing what would give me reason to think he can succeeed here against an expectation of trending towards playoff contender. I don’t see a simple modest improvement as sufficient. The bar being low to improvement is his fault. I’m not grading on a curve.

I don’t deny that it’s hard to hire good coaches, but that isn’t a reason to stick with a guy who you think isn’t the answer. That just compounds the problem by delaying the potential to get to a solution. Also, as you know, I think tne admin and infrastructure are real needs, but again, separate topics. So the question for me is what would indicate he’s a legit potential leader who can take us to where we’re tryna get.

I can’t disagree that it’s possible he could lose to UNC and Clemson and Alabama and still be on track. We’re just using these scenarios to finger paint our impression of what they mean. To me, after the facial he took from Mack Brown, he really needs to win that game or I see his inner cuck as a firable flaw. Manny should spend every waking hour he has thinking about how to beat UNC. He should be planning to return the favor and pound them. They’re not some insurmountable foe like Alabama or maybe Clemson. This game will come down to coaching. That’s the issue for me.

“I don’t deny that it’s hard to hire good coaches, but that isn’t a reason to stick with a guy who you think isn’t the answer. That just compounds the problem by delaying the potential to get to a solution.”

That part.

I recall vividly posting on here regarding keeping Golden past the 2014 season, and the unmitigated ramifications that would come along w/ it, namely, the domino effect that would happen to both the class of ‘15, and ‘16 which will put us 4 yrs behind, b/c those guys would be the leaders of the pups, and if our upper classmen aren’t strong, then we’ll have to wait for the youngins to right the wrongs of their predecessors.

What happened? Well the class of ‘15 & ‘16 both ranked outside the top 20. From 2015 - 2019, we compiled a 40-25 record, huge attrition rates, embarrassing losses, and the highlight was a wild, fluke 2017 season that gave us highs & lows.

The inability to hire a new coach should never be a reason to keep a guy around who clearly isn’t the right guy. In fact, that’s should be even more indicative of why a new AD should be in place. Nevertheless, in no way am I saying Diaz is not the guy, although we’ve suffered the lowest of lows in his 2 yrs here. This is a new season. He has everything he needs, the players, the staff, & the schedule. 10+ or gtfoh.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back