What ConstitutesAcceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

What Constitutes Acceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
Definitions matter here. Acceptable progress, imo, isn’t what we expect from Manny, it’s what we expect from the program, given where it is.

I expect less from Manny, but honestly, if he could go 12-2 and coach solid games against Bama and Clemson, that would be our best competitive season in 2 decades. If he did that, it wouldn’t be sensible to think we should look for a new coach. Expecting more seems hopeful but not realistic. I want to see legit progress. I am not expecting miracles. We have to recruit better to get to the next rung.

So my answer is what I think we should and could realistically expect to justify thinking he should stay as Hc. Not predicting he does it, and not predicting this standard is Fake James’ standard. But if he loses to UNC again, plus Clemson rebuilding and Alabama rebuilding, then we’re not a strong team and together with his other deficiencies, I’d have a tough time justifying the belief he’s the right guy.

Now if your new expectation is 8-4/9-3 with 10-2 being a once a decade season, I guess you could answer this differently. My expectation remains higher.

Advertisement
Definitions matter here. Acceptable progress, imo, isn’t what we expect from Manny, it’s what we expect from the program, given where it is.

I expect less from Manny, but honestly, if he could go 12-2 and coach solid games against Bama and Clemson, that would be our best competitive season in 2 decades. If he did that, it wouldn’t be sensible to think we should look for a new coach. Expecting more seems hopeful but not realistic. I want to see legit progress. I am not expecting miracles. We have to recruit better to get to the next rung.

So my answer is what I think we should and could realistically expect to justify thinking he should stay as Hc. Not predicting he does it, and not predicting this standard is Fake James’ standard. But if he loses to UNC again, plus Clemson rebuilding and Alabama rebuilding, then we’re not a strong team and together with his other deficiencies, I’d have a tough time justifying the belief he’s the right guy.

Now if your new expectation is 8-4/9-3 with 10-2 being a once a decade season, I guess you could answer this differently. My expectation remains higher.
I agree with a lot of this. I’m looking at bare minimum to say there’s enough progress from last year to give him another year. I voted for the option that had a 3 loss season with a close loss at UNC and a bowl win. I would be happy with the step above - a sound loss to Bama and a close loss to Clemson if we play them followed by a bowl win. I wouldn’t can him for that as we got destroyed by UNC at home last year. Close 1 score games with Clemson and a closer one score game with UNC at Chapel Hill would be the minimum and then it’s a year.

Here’s the thing for me. It’s really hard for us to make a great HC hire. Not just us. Others too. If we hire another coach, and we’re not getting Urban or Saban then it’s a gamble. It’s also a total re-set. We could get lucky or we could lose another 4 years. The season I described is an absolute step up from last year. If Manny takes an absolute step up this year then I’d see if he can take another absolute step up next year. But that’s just how I see the minimum and also happens to be what I think will happen with that type of season though like you, I’m not making my choice on that basis.

Advertisement
Man it’s too early for my vote bruh. I gotta see this spring game AND king to be cleared for fall. I need to see more tbh
You’re pretty supportive of 15-0.

Assume Spring is as Cribby said today and King is back healthy for Bama. Then at least if that isn’t the case, you covered it. Is this reasonable?

wrestlemania xxiv wrestling GIF by WWE
Why isn’t 16-0 an option...

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes , “All them boys from Miami that real will be voting in the Acceptable Progress Poll.”

Yeah I’ve voted 12 - 2, seems like a reasonable goal. Although I really don’t care what the margin of victory or defeat is versus a Clemson or an an Alabama. As long as they’re humping from kickoff the final gun. I’m not that worried about the margin of victory or losses. Either you win or you lose.

Man; win 10+ and make it to the ACCCG & win the bowl game. That’s reasonable w/ this staff (on paper), team (on paper), and **** poor schedule (facts).
Thats where I’m at too. I’d really like to beat UNC but 2 losses (Bama and UNC) without Clemson or 3 with Clemson plus a bowl win and it’s acceptable progress for this year and worth another year. It’s not a good thing if we have to can a coach and start at zero again if this coach can show measurable improvement.

I agree with a lot of this. I’m looking at bare minimum to say there’s enough progress from last year to give him another year. I voted for the option that had a 3 loss season with a close loss at UNC and a bowl win. I would be happy with the step above - a sound loss to Bama and a close loss to Clemson if we play them followed by a bowl win. I wouldn’t can him for that as we got destroyed by UNC at home last year. Close 1 score games with Clemson and a closer one score game with UNC at Chapel Hill would be the minimum and then it’s a year.

Here’s the thing for me. It’s really hard for us to make a great HC hire. Not just us. Others too. If we hire another coach, and we’re not getting Urban or Saban then it’s a gamble. It’s also a total re-set. We could get lucky or we could lose another 4 years. The season I described is an absolute step up from last year. If Manny takes an absolute step up this year then I’d see if he can take another absolute step up next year. But that’s just how I see the minimum and also happens to be what I think will happen with that type of season though like you, I’m not making my choice on that basis.
You’re weaving in a few issues that imo are separate topics. I was addressing what would give me reason to think he can succeeed here against an expectation of trending towards playoff contender. I don’t see a simple modest improvement as sufficient. The bar being low to improvement is his fault. I’m not grading on a curve.

I don’t deny that it’s hard to hire good coaches, but that isn’t a reason to stick with a guy who you think isn’t the answer. That just compounds the problem by delaying the potential to get to a solution. Also, as you know, I think tne admin and infrastructure are real needs, but again, separate topics. So the question for me is what would indicate he’s a legit potential leader who can take us to where we’re tryna get.

I can’t disagree that it’s possible he could lose to UNC and Clemson and Alabama and still be on track. We’re just using these scenarios to finger paint our impression of what they mean. To me, after the facial he took from Mack Brown, he really needs to win that game or I see his inner cuck as a firable flaw. Manny should spend every waking hour he has thinking about how to beat UNC. He should be planning to return the favor and pound them. They’re not some insurmountable foe like Alabama or maybe Clemson. This game will come down to coaching. That’s the issue for me.

Advertisement
We need to beat either Bama or Clemson for me to be completely satisfied so Only getting to the playoffs is my pick from the choices provided.

@Go Canes!! And @RVACane i don’t see 15-0 as a option??

Vote for playoffs and if you do, and he goes 10-3 I expect you, @Go Canes!! and @Andrew to be leading the Fire Manny charge faster than @NicKane can get another banner funded.

Man it’s too early for my vote bruh. I gotta see this spring game AND king to be cleared for fall. I need to see more tbh

You’re pretty supportive of 15-0.

Assume Spring is as Cribby said today and King is back healthy for Bama. Then at least if that isn’t the case, you covered it. Is this reasonable?
@305to954, I gave you the easy out so you can Vite. Personally I voted for the no worse than 2 loss option if we play Clemson plus a bowl win. And the only sound defeat is Bama. That’s an attainable goal that is a clear improvement from last year but I think it’s progress.

Vote dude. No excuses for anyone who takes strong positions on Manny on the board - from any viewpoint - to not cast a recorded vote of what their baseline for Acceptable Progess is for the 2021 season.

Advertisement
Back