What Coach L has meant for the program

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ah no. I will admit that going into 21/22 after 3 consecutive losing seasons, whatever the reasons, he needed to be on the clock with a new AD coming in. He delivered.

This page is fairly measured with the long time posters except during the heat of games. I tend to stay off because it gets silly.

We all appreciate what Jim has meant to this program. No question about that whatsoever.
Agree, think new AD lit a fire under coach. So frustrating watching those injury prone teams with only 7/8 scholarship players.

Ah no. I will admit that going into 21/22 after 3 consecutive losing seasons, whatever the reasons, he needed to be on the clock with a new AD coming in. He delivered.

This page is fairly measured with the long time posters except during the heat of games. I tend to stay off because it gets silly.

We all appreciate what Jim has meant to this program. No question about that whatsoever.

You write "whatever the reason" as if Miami wasn't entangled in a gross, negligent adidas scandal—when doing no wrong—which cost UM recruits and talent for a few years.

Prior to that disaster, Miami finished 22-10 as a six-seed that got upset in the opening round of the tourney by Cinderella eleven-seed Loyala Chicago, who reached the Final Four in 2018.

Though Miami eventually got out of that hot water, the ripple effect from the FBI scandal was real.

Larrañaga got the Canes over that hump and to back-to-back stellar seasons, last year and this year.

Advertisement
Agree, think new AD lit a fire under coach. So frustrating watching those injury prone teams with only 7/8 scholarship players.

Yeah, or some of that John Ruiz money helped bring on some talent—as well as keeping Wong, who was set to transfer before getting more NIL money from Miami.

Money talks.... there was no "fire lit" by a first-year AD for a coach who's been here over a decade and delivered.

Radakovich was hired December 9th, 2021 and the 2021-2022 season started in October. Canes were already a dozen games into last season's Elite 8 run before the new AD even stepped foot on campus.

You write "whatever the reason" as if Miami wasn't entangled in a gross, negligent adidas scandal—when doing no wrong—which cost UM recruits and talent for a few years.

Prior to that disaster, Miami finished 22-10 as a six-seed that got upset in the opening round of the tourney by Cinderella eleven-seed Loyala Chicago, who reached the Final Four in 2018.

Though Miami eventually got out of that hot water, the ripple effect from the FBI scandal was real.

Larrañaga got the Canes over that hump and to back-to-back stellar seasons, last year and this year.

if we could have sued the FBI over this investigation, we should have. it set Miami back a few years and made for a few lean years. thankfully, Coach L's reputation recovered.

I was as critical as could be those two years prior to last but god am I impressed by the turnaround.

The criticism is justified imo but I’m gonna make sure the praise is just as loud for the resurgence he made.

Incredible coach, even more incredible human - this program is nothing without him.

Advertisement

From 2018 into 2021 UM endured three losing seasons in a row devolving to a rock-bottom 10-17 record the season before last, Miami’s worst since 1994. Suddenly Larranaga was cast as the aging coach who had lost it as some fans brought torches and pitchforks to social media in calling for his job. The three-year nightmare was the residue of an FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball recruiting that had peripherally and erroneously implicated Miami before ultimately clearing the school and its coach. “I had no control over that but had to deal with it, the kind of adversity I had avoided for 45 years,” Larranaga recalled in a quiet moment Tuesday, after practice and before the band cranked up outside. “Took them over a year to exonerate us, and it impacted our recruiting for two years. It was a series of problems that only patience could overcome. “There was a thunderstorm over our heads,” he said. “It pours like crazy here in Miami and then in 20 minutes the sun is out and shining. Except the cloud over us was three years. But the university never gave up on me. That meant the world to me, and still does.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article272835685.html#storylink=cpy

From 2018 into 2021 UM endured three losing seasons in a row devolving to a rock-bottom 10-17 record the season before last, Miami’s worst since 1994. Suddenly Larranaga was cast as the aging coach who had lost it as some fans brought torches and pitchforks to social media in calling for his job. The three-year nightmare was the residue of an FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball recruiting that had peripherally and erroneously implicated Miami before ultimately clearing the school and its coach. “I had no control over that but had to deal with it, the kind of adversity I had avoided for 45 years,” Larranaga recalled in a quiet moment Tuesday, after practice and before the band cranked up outside. “Took them over a year to exonerate us, and it impacted our recruiting for two years. It was a series of problems that only patience could overcome. “There was a thunderstorm over our heads,” he said. “It pours like crazy here in Miami and then in 20 minutes the sun is out and shining. Except the cloud over us was three years. But the university never gave up on me. That meant the world to me, and still does.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article272835685.html#storylink=cpy

did he say cloud? that word is forboden here.

let’s ******* go!

College Sports Dancing GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
Yeah, or some of that John Ruiz money helped bring on some talent—as well as keeping Wong, who was set to transfer before getting more NIL money from Miami.

Money talks.... there was no "fire lit" by a first-year AD for a coach who's been here over a decade and delivered.

Radakovich was hired December 9th, 2021 and the 2021-2022 season started in October. Canes were already a dozen games into last season's Elite 8 run before the new AD even stepped foot on campus.

Dumb. We went to the Elite 8 last year with low-ranked transfers like Miller and Moore who weren't getting any Ruiz NIL.

Your post is a weird neg on Coach L. Where would Kansas, Texas, Bama, etc be without NIL? Every major program pays NIL. Yeah if we were the only school not offering then Wong/Pack wouldnt be here. But we somehow have posters who don't get NIL is everywhere. If Wong wasnt getting NIL here there'd be 50 schools bidding for him

Advertisement
Back