What Coach L has meant for the program

Advertisement
Yeah, or some of that John Ruiz money helped bring on some talent—as well as keeping Wong, who was set to transfer before getting more NIL money from Miami.

Money talks.... there was no "fire lit" by a first-year AD for a coach who's been here over a decade and delivered.

Radakovich was hired December 9th, 2021 and the 2021-2022 season started in October. Canes were already a dozen games into last season's Elite 8 run before the new AD even stepped foot on campus.

If you think there is an All-conference type kid at any legitimate program not getting NIL these days I have a mint 1952 Corvette I'd like to sell you.

It opened in 2003. Called the Convocation Center back then. We played at Miami Arena beforehand. I have vague recollections of taking Metrorail to games as a freshman.
and before that at the James L Knight Center at the Hyatt in downtown miami where fans sit on only one of the four sides because it is a concert venue

Advertisement
Butch also did not sabotage the next coaching search or feel entitled to be a part of the process to pick his successor. We had Pitino lined up, Ham had one of his assistants leak the story, and it fell apart as a result. And we wound up with Perry Clark on Hamilton's recommendation.
As I recall it was Freeman who leaked it.

Ah no. I will admit that going into 21/22 after 3 consecutive losing seasons, whatever the reasons, he needed to be on the clock with a new AD coming in. He delivered.

This page is fairly measured with the long time posters except during the heat of games. I tend to stay off because it gets silly.

We all appreciate what Jim has meant to this program. No question about that whatsoever.
I guess I forget about the stupid absurd FBI investigation we were doing quite well before that happened.

Advertisement
You write "whatever the reason" as if Miami wasn't entangled in a gross, negligent adidas scandal—when doing no wrong—which cost UM recruits and talent for a few years.

Prior to that disaster, Miami finished 22-10 as a six-seed that got upset in the opening round of the tourney by Cinderella eleven-seed Loyala Chicago, who reached the Final Four in 2018.

Though Miami eventually got out of that hot water, the ripple effect from the FBI scandal was real.

Larrañaga got the Canes over that hump and to back-to-back stellar seasons, last year and this year.

Amen - how quickly folks start the whatever the reason garbage. We know what the reason was and you had to be blind not to see it! Great job Coach L! The bond he has with this team , his recruits and portal players , will convince some really good players to come our way!! Well done!

Advertisement
Dumb. We went to the Elite 8 last year with low-ranked transfers like Miller and Moore who weren't getting any Ruiz NIL.

Your post is a weird neg on Coach L. Where would Kansas, Texas, Bama, etc be without NIL? Every major program pays NIL. Yeah if we were the only school not offering then Wong/Pack wouldnt be here. But we somehow have posters who don't get NIL is everywhere. If Wong wasnt getting NIL here there'd be 50 schools bidding for him
Totally agree, smdh head at the NIL yak.

Leonard doesn’t get the credit he deserves for slowly and steadily building this program from nothing. From going from a handful of wins to getting the team to the Sweet 16 his final season, all while playing on a

Leonard doesn’t get the credit he deserves for slowly and steadily building this program from nothing. From going from a handful of wins to getting the team to the Sweet 16 his final season, all while playing on an off campus arena. It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened had Hamilton stayed another decade with Miami and continued to build the program.
You think it would be better with HAmilton? I dont.

Advertisement
Miami had 14, 20 win seasons in the 68 years before Coach L. L has 8 of them in 12 years.
Miami had 16 postseason appearances (NIT and NIT) in the 68 years before Coach L. L has 8 in 12 years.
Miami had 6 NCAA Tournament appearances in the 68 years before Coach L. If you count this year, L will have 6 in 12 years.
Coach L has over 25% of Miami's all-time wins in only 12 of 80 seasons.

7gcc1u.jpg

Hamilton was a good coach.

Coach L is a hall of fame coach.

No comparison.
Leonard has been at FSU for 21 seasons, and he has 1 Elite 8 to his name. His best chance was his 19/20 squad. Obviously, we will never know if he would have gotten to the Final Four, but it was probably his best team. To Leonard's credit, Steve Robinson left a dumpster fire at FSU. Much of Leonard's credit has to go to Stan Jones. He is terrific.

Advertisement
Back