What Coach L has meant for the program

**** you Michael Jordan for stealing Leonard away. I shudder to think where would be. We were trending way up. Also consensus was we had Ricky P locked up. I love L, was a great hire when we made it, never going to be the glamour guy that gets us national pub. I am not sure why but just doesn't get the credit anymore. George Mason story is long gone. We need a change of conferences to get a boost. I honestly don't get why he can't land an elite PG every class. That tells me a lot. I was a pg, his system would have been my wet dream 40 years ago.

Advertisement
I really wasn't much into this Mt. Rushmore stuff, but I'm a believer:
1679892171134.png

------------------------FINAL FOUR------------------------

Advertisement
"Larranaga took over in Miami in 2012 and in his 12th season he has guided the Hurricanes to their first ever Final Four. He also has led Miami to its first two ACC regular-season titles, an ACC Tournament title, six NCAA Tournament appearances, four Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights and now a Final Four."

**** you Michael Jordan for stealing Leonard away. I shudder to think where would be. We were trending way up. Also consensus was we had Ricky P locked up. I love L, was a great hire when we made it, never going to be the glamour guy that gets us national pub. I am not sure why but just doesn't get the credit anymore. George Mason story is long gone. We need a change of conferences to get a boost. I honestly don't get why he can't land an elite PG every class. That tells me a lot. I was a pg, his system would have been my wet dream 40 years ago.
Leonard doesn’t get the credit he deserves for slowly and steadily building this program from nothing. From going from a handful of wins to getting the team to the Sweet 16 his final season, all while playing on an off campus arena. It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened had Hamilton stayed another decade with Miami and continued to build the program.

Advertisement
Hamilton can eat a bag of ****s (he did help keep the basketball program afloat for a bit)
I presume you hold Butch Davis the same, because the only objection is that they left for the pros. Not certain if Hamilton ever had the option of returning to Miami.

I presume you hold Butch Davis the same, because the only objection is that they left for the pros. Not certain if Hamilton ever had the option of returning to Miami.
butch didn’t come back and coach at FSU. Hamilton was a year or so off of the Miami HC job being open it was the year after he was at FSU Haith left/forced to leave for Missouri . I feel like if he wanted the job he could have had it and Haith would have been out a year earlier but that’s just me assuming. But it worked out for the best for us in the long run because we got Larranaga

Advertisement
butch didn’t come back and coach at FSU. Hamilton was a year or so off of the Miami HC job being open it was the year after he was at FSU Haith left/forced to leave for Missouri . I feel like if he wanted the job he could have had it and Haith would have been out a year earlier but that’s just me assuming. But it worked out for the best for us in the long run because we got Larranaga
Butch also did not sabotage the next coaching search or feel entitled to be a part of the process to pick his successor. We had Pitino lined up, Ham had one of his assistants leak the story, and it fell apart as a result. And we wound up with Perry Clark on Hamilton's recommendation.

Butch also did not sabotage the next coaching search or feel entitled to be a part of the process to pick his successor. We had Pitino lined up, Ham had one of his assistants leak the story, and it fell apart as a result. And we wound up with Perry Clark on Hamilton's recommendation.
Wow, I remember that Miami was interested in Patino. I did not know that Hamilton sabotaged it. Was it just so that Clark could have the job?

Leonard doesn’t get the credit he deserves for slowly and steadily building this program from nothing. From going from a handful of wins to getting the team to the Sweet 16 his final season, all while playing on an off campus arena. It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened had Hamilton stayed another decade with Miami and continued to build the program.
Coach Ham was a very good coach at UM, and has been very good at FSU but I think time and a changing game have caught up with him. Ham still wants to run out a bunch of athletes who can’t shoot 3 pointers.
And despite coaching at FSU and sticking us with Perry Clark, he was very good for UM basketball. He just was not good for UM basketball after he left.

Advertisement
Coach Ham was a very good coach at UM, and has been very good at FSU but I think time and a changing game have caught up with him. Ham still wants to run out a bunch of athletes who can’t shoot 3 pointers.
And despite coaching at FSU and sticking us with Perry Clark, he was very good for UM basketball. He just was not good for UM basketball after he left.
I am not saying he was not great at UM and we would not be here but for his time with the program. The first poster asked if you hold Butch and Ham in the same regard because they left for the pros. The simple answer is I candidly don't care that either left for the pros, nor do I care that Ham went to coach at FSU. You take opportunities as they come in life.

Where they are different, to me, is Ham sabotaging us from getting a guy in Pitino that could have been a rocket ship here and taken what Ham built to a whole different level. It is just as likely that the program would have been shut down again from probation, but we had the chance to get a national championship level coach from the NBA, and Ham stopped it from happening. And for that reason I do not care for him and view him differently from Butch. Not sure why that warrants a facepalm.

as great as ham was for UM and is at FSU, he still hasnt gotten a program as far as L has at two non big time basketball programs

When was the Watsco building built, and where did the Canes play prior to that?

Advertisement
Back