What am I missing?

Advertisement
Guys, regardless of what any of us think, Rosier is starting against LSU unless he gets hurt. Mark is not going to do anything to make a 5th yr senior starter who was 11 and 0 career going into last regular season game, ranked 2nd in the polls, transfer out to go play some place his last year. Not saying Rosier finishes that game but he starts it.

You want to throw a freshman, redshirt or true, in national game against LSU for his first start? Seriuosly? Did you see Vinny’s first start as true freshman? How about Bernie’s as a redshirt freshman? You got Jim Kelly hiding back there some place, then maybe. This is not a video game. This is D1 football at The U. Mark almost got to the playoffs last year and this team has gotten better with incoming class. The HC is not going to throw the dice on the shiny new toy right out of the box. The hook might be at the ready but not before the season starts.
This is pretty much the way I feel too.

However, it is nice to see the young guys have their moments of brilliance and make this an actual competition. According to many reports it is a lot closer than I thought it would be which is encouraging not only for this season but for the future.
Competition is a good thing.

Last edited:
This is pretty much the way I feel too.

However, it is nice to see the young guys have their moments of brilliance and make this an actual competition. According to many reports it is a lot closer than I thought it would be which is encouraging not only for this season but for the future. Competition is a good thing.
Absolutely! It sounds like Williams is the future, but it would be nice if one of the two older guys proves capable. You want a series of QBs in line of succession like we use to have. I respect Rosier for what he did last year but I am fine if a kid beats him out if the need arises. Clearly, Clemson, if nothing else, will require a different level of offense.

Nothing has changed for me.

If anything, I’m more optimistic because I thought Perry and Williams made up some ground.

But like I’ve been saying for weeks now, this will be determined in the summer, probably before the LSU installation, which I assume will be a week or two before the actual opener.

So it will be close right up to the final scrimmage.

What I’m hoping is that Perry and Williams sack up and start humping between now and when practices start August 1.

I agree 100%.

Sorry but I can't get the thought out of my mind that your 5th year Senior shouldn't be light years ahead of a RS Frosh and a brand new frosh. The fact that this decision is even close is disturbing to me.

This only confirms to me the fact that he's already hit his ceiling and what we've already seen is what it will be moving forward with him. Nothing wrong with that.....IF you feel that matching last year's performance is enough for us to continue progressing. It may be. But none of us knows whether that's true or not.

I don't envy CMR in making this decision, whether to go with the known or go with one of the other two who are still growing with more potential but not quite there yet. None of us are privy to the practices nor can we see the other intangibles CMR is looking for with his QB.

One thing I do know is that the excitement and fervor for Miami Hurricane football would take a exponential jump with someone who is consistently able to fully utilize our amazing WR corps. The targets available to whoever is our QB can possibly be the best in CFB. The problem for CMR to determine is whether our wins and on field performance would also increase with someone other than Rosier. None of us knows.

As I said I don't envy him making this decision....BUT the upside is that now we know that CMR has viable options based that are on performance instead of having to go one way or another simply based on experience.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this season, starting with handing out the long overdue *** whuppin we owe LSU

Last edited:
I agree 100%.

Sorry but I can't get the thought out of my mind that your 5th year Senior shouldn't be light years ahead of a RS Frosh and a brand new frosh. The fact that this decision is even close is disturbing to me.

This only confirms to me the fact that he's already hit his ceiling and what we've already seen is what it will be moving forward with him. Nothing wrong with that.....IF you feel that matching last year's performance is enough for us to continue progressing.

I don't envy CMR making this decision, whether to go with the known or go with one of the other two who are still growing but with more potential. None of us are privy to the practices nor can we see the other intangibles CMR is looking for with his QB. One thing I do know is that the excitement and fervor for Miami Hurricane football wouldl take a exponential jump with someone who is consistently able to utilize our amazing WR corps. The problem for CMR to determine is whether our wins and on field performance would also increase with someone other than Rosier. None of us knows.

As I said I don't envy him making this decision....BUT the upside is that now we know that CMR has viable options based that are on performance instead of having to go one way or another simply based on experience.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this season, starting with handing out the long overdue *** whuppin we owe LSU
I don't believe that we can make any conclusions about Rosier's ceiling, Perry's ceiling, Williams' ceiling or anyone's ceiling based on the Spring game.
Richt and his staff see these players in multiple situations in practice and scrimmages and will make their own evaluations, taking into consideration many factors. ( Some variables we may not even know about in the locker room and behind closed doors.)

As others have emphasized the Fall will tell us much more about this competition so we just have to be patient..

Advertisement
Could it be that everyone loves the backup more theory! Or could it be Perry was 0 for 6 against the first team? Could it be Williams played only against the second team? We really need to see all 3 play against the first team equally to provide a better answer. Playing LSU in the first game makes this discision much more difficult, just hope coach MR makes the correct choice.

That’s most peoples point.. we want coach to spilt first team reps with Malik, JW, and Perry

All I know N’Kosi when he connected was throwing dimes and multiple receivers droped passes which is why his completion percentage looked like that but it doesn’t tell the whole story. In addition to that he started off slow 0-6 (not only because of him). He did miss a few passes by overthrowing a few guys but the timing will come better with more reps

Hightower td? Dime
Polendy 30 yard catch? Dime
Hightower 50 yard catch? Dime
Langham 40 yard catch? Really good pass

Probably put too much heat on it but he
threw a ball to Jeff Thomas in which he would have scored but he dropped it too

Threw an absolute strike of a throw after evading at least 4 defenders of the first team dline that was 20 yards long but probably 40 yards distance wise considering where he was at on the field.
Kosi easily had the best throws of any of the qbs followed by Williams

In addition to that he wasn’t taking sacks and was extending drives

The people who are saying Perry is done are people that have been to all of the scrimmages and some of the practices. They say he is having trouble learning the playbook and do not read defenses well. Williams has already passed him in both those aspects of the game. He has been under 50% completion % in all the scrimmages and by far has the most INTs.

All 4 of those strikes against him add up to a QB that will never see the field. He would need to take a huge step forward in August for Williams not to start the season at #2.

Advertisement
What am I missing here? I just watched the spring game, albeit via periscope, but I watched it nevertheless. I am not an offensive guru, nor am I anywhere close to being a QB expert. However, what I do have, is a set of eyes. Regarding yesterdays game, the offense had life, flowed much better, and was more explosive with Perry and/or Williams under center. Perry's wiggle is F'UCKING elite. He also had some absolute dimes to multiple receivers, not to mention the gems that were dropped or declared out of bounds (terrible call). Yes, he missed some easy throws. The one to Burns stands out the most. There is absolutely no excuse for him missing his target on such an easy throw. Ironically enough, Rosier misses that same throw about 3-4 times every F'UCKING game. The point is, N'Kosi moves the chains, whether with his twigs or with his arm.

Williams, is about as calm and collected as any QB that I have seen at Miami in quite some time, regardless of tenure. He gives you the feeling that he is going to hit his target everytime he releases the pill. He is a **** assassin! Like Perry, the offense had a pulse with him under center. I found myself smiling everytime he was under center. My wife jokingly asked me was I watching **** because I looked so happy. I was insulted that she felt that **** could give me the same happiness/satisfaction as seeing a championship caliber QB under center at The U. Jarren Williams > **** Hub!!!

Rosier has played in games before. I will leave it there, because I don't want this to be a roasting session on Malik.

From what I've read on this site as well as others, since yesterdays game, it felt like Perry was out of this race and has thus turned into a potential transfer candidate. WTF? I get that one spring game does not tell the whole story of the entire spring. However, isn't the purpose of the spring game to see how well the players can tranfer what they've learned/practiced on to the field in a "real game" situation? That's a rhetorical question. The other scrimmages are/were on the practice field, with no fans in the stands. Yesterday, was the complete opposite. To me, that should be weighed heavier than everything else that has happened this spring. If not, then what was the f'ucking point of the game.

Yesterday, was at Hard Rock, the super bowl of the spring! Yesterday, Perry and Williams were by far the better QB's, when it mattered the most. So again, what am I missing?

Great post. Bear in mind that most of the people ripping on any player at all, didn't attend the game nor haven't seen anything online.

The people who are saying Perry is done are people that have been to all of the scrimmages and some of the practices. They say he is having trouble learning the playbook and do not read defenses well. Williams has already passed him in both those aspects of the game. He has been under 50% completion % in all the scrimmages and by far has the most INTs.

All 4 of those strikes against him add up to a QB that will never see the field. He would need to take a huge step forward in August for Williams not to start the season at #2.

Who are these people? Dmoney and brooklyndee haven’t said that and they are our best insiders right now. Kosi had a good showing he just need reps. Don’t just look at the stat line, kosi showed a lot of talent the Spring game

Read this and became angry. Hope it’s not true; but if Richt is just putting Rosier as the starter b/c he’s a 5th yr Sr, then I question him

https://caneswarning.com/2018/04/15/nkosi-perry-jarren-williams-battling-miami-hurricanes-backup-qb/
There are a couple more articles beyond the first one and they all have basically the same sentiment from Richt - Malik is the starter until/unless Perry or Williams overtake him. I feel Richt's words are measured in the sense that he doesn't want Malik to lose confidence by him - Richt - making unfavorable remarks. I also believe he's made it clear that the QB competition is for real and Perry and Williams are making strides. He's dealing with the cards he has - 5th year senior, RSFR, and a true FR and trying to make the best of it.

Williams seems positioned to overtake Perry, imo. I have my money on Williams and buying his stock. Perry is definitely more athletic but from reading accounts of the scrimmage is too quick to tuck and run when the pocket breaks down. Williams, on the other hand, extends the play with mobility but still prefers to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions. Then there is the accuracy aspect. You can't really teach that. Williams has shown that in spades. He is the future.

Advertisement
Some hard lessons might get learned this season.

Apparently, Rosier is the only QB that can ever win a game at Miami & we'll never have another 10 wins season again unless he's the QB. Hopefully we can get a petition going for the NCAA to grant him an additional 4 years of eligibility.

People that think it's impossible for a Red Frosh or TF QB to come in & be successful must not pay any attention to college football in general because it literally happens more & more every single year & has been for the last decade or so. And for people who keep making that experience argument wtf are we gonna do next year when all of our QB's will be young guys with little to no live game experience?

The problem is, we're stuck with betting the house on a 5th year Senior because for whatever reason we won't adjust the offense to better suit the skills of the guys who could make us better overall. I don't hate Rosier at all, I just don't think he's a good QB, but at the end of the day Richt is gonna stick with him.

Maybe Rosier proves us wrong & plays much better than he did last year, I would have no problem holding that L & eating crow if that happens. All I know is, if Rosier stinks up the joint vs LSU everyone will be calling for JW or Perry, but then that would defeat the purpose of starting Rosier in the first place.
This is a crap take. We're not betting the house on Rosier. Nobody is crowning Rosier just because he won games last season or beat FSU. That's a strawman that keeps getting thrown onto a bonfire every Perry gets a chance in game simulations and goes for around 40%. Nobody is saying Perry shouldn't start because he's a RsFrosh, It's because he's about to lose his grip on the QB#2 spot. And Perry's 40% performances have nothing to do with the fact that Richt won't cater the offence to his skill set, whatever that is.

Rosier is going to start until somebody proves in practice or scrimmages or game simulations that they are better than him--TO RICHT--and rightly so. Right now my money is on Williams being the guy with the best chance to do it. He has the tools to get it done. What ever Rosier is bad at--accuracy mostly--Perry seems to be just as bad, and what Perry is good at--wiggle?--we can get from at least 5 other skill players on the team who's primary job is NOT to get the ball into the hands of better athletes. No fan here should be forced to sit through a 6-7 type season like 2014 while a freshman figures it out. Banners would fly again over Hard Rock. To replace Rosier, you have to know, as opposed to guess, wish, or really really hope, that his replacement gives us a better chance to win, and having something to back that up like say, a scrimmage where he out performed the starter on the stat sheet as well as the eye test would help.

I don't know if y'all are aware of this, but after the game they tally up points to determine who won. They don't measure things like "wiggle" or "flow," and being dynamic on your way to a 11 for 26 (42%) game gets you a big fat L. Yes I know drops happen. But they weren't dropping balls from Rosier or Williams, so it might be worth examining whether Perry's delivery has anything to do with balls being dropped.

Last edited:
Read this and became angry. Hope it’s not true; but if Richt is just putting Rosier as the starter b/c he’s a 5th yr Sr, then I question him

https://caneswarning.com/2018/04/15/nkosi-perry-jarren-williams-battling-miami-hurricanes-backup-qb/
Your first mistake was falling for Alan Rubenstein click bait. He knows less than Jon Snow. He doesn't go to games and isn't allowed into practices. He reads what other people write, re-writes their opinions with his own spin applied, and pawns it off as original work.

To adapt a phrase from "Money Ball:" "There's SMDH, then there's 40 feet of ****, then there's Alan Rubenstein."

The people who are saying Perry is done are people that have been to all of the scrimmages and some of the practices.
This is just simply noy true. In fact, the people "in the know" are the ones saying that the race is a lot closer than what people may think. The scrimmage basically validated their sentiments for the rest of us that are not "in the know"

Advertisement
Rosier did his part, he had some good games, but the Defense won us 10 games with all those turnovers.
The defense gave up 17 points and the lead three times in the 4th quarter. Malik Rosier took it back three times. He won that game in spite of how miserable the rest or the team sans Berrios was playing, and I'll take that to the mat against anyone who tries to say otherwise.

EDIT: Should have pointed out that this comment references the FSU game.

Last edited:
This is just simply noy true. In fact, the people "in the know" are the ones saying that the race is a lot closer than what people may think. The scrimmage basically validated their sentiments for the rest of us that are not "in the know"

There are people "in the know" that do not posted on this board. These are guys that have been to multiple practices and every scrimmage. They all say that Williams came in more college ready than Perry and has matched or surpassed Perry in most QB attributes after 2 months in the system. I don't care if he dropped a couple of "dime" passes, he hit on 41% of his passes. Even if you add in drops which happens to every QB, he is still way below average in completion %.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back