Weekend Visits

If any of ya'll thought there was a snowball's chance in **** we land Ed Goldman, you are a damned fool. We can't compete monetarily for him or in any other regard with the schools he's looking at.

I appreciate that we got a visit from this kid...can't win if you don't play...but c'mon fellas, you shoulda known better, regardless of what Mike said.

For sure.

Goldman was one of those kids that would actually have to be on the field taking snaps in a game for us for me to actually believe he would be on our roster. The only thing I was hoping for is that he wouldn't go to FSU. Werner, Jernigan, Goldman.....that's a bit much to handle.

Advertisement
Mike says stuff like that every year. What it means is 'keep paying for your membership between now and NSD'

While he clearly neglects and abandons his responsibilities at CanesTime (i really hope it is his secondary/tertiary job) I never found Mike to hype up recruits interest in us. He is pretty realistic in UM's chances. Ferman's MO is to write fluff pieces and hype interest in every recruit out there. Mike would be better served to get people to continue paying for their memberships by participating on the boards more and putting out more content.

Oh yes he does! I've called him out about that numerous times. As esf stated, he's quick to remind you when he's right (as I've been saying for months.......) but rarely ever mentions when he's wrong until someone else points it out.[/QUOTE]

True. And he used to rate UM targets higher than non-UM targets in his Fla 100 ratings. Not every one, but on average. Not sure whether that persisted though because he soured on our recruiting during the Shannon years.

As for hype, I don't fault him for it, because it's a fan-driven recruiting site. But let's not kid ourselves, he's not immune to it. What he did better than Ferman was signaling issues around character and grades that might make a kid less likely than you'd think. You could get that from his posts on the members board. But signaling less likely is different from not hyping. He still hyped kids he liked or thought we would be after. Sometimes he was right on kids he liked (as with Ricardo Allen). Other times, not so much (as with Kevin Nelson). He'd remind you of the ones he was right on forever, but never once would admit he blew it on a Nelson or the like.

The thing that annoyed me the most was that it's ok to hype your hits, but then he would either make an excuse for his misses, ignore the misses, or flat out lie about the misses. That **** just really irks me. I can't remember how many times I'd ask him about something, he'd say that he didn't say it, and then when I bumped a thread proving that he did say it, he'd just ignore the thread altogether.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he was worthless, but instead that the outright lies were uncalled for.

If any of ya'll thought there was a snowball's chance in **** we land Ed Goldman, you are a damned fool. We can't compete monetarily for him or in any other regard with the schools he's looking at.

I appreciate that we got a visit from this kid...can't win if you don't play...but c'mon fellas, you shoulda known better, regardless of what Mike said.

Totally agree, I never thought it was a possibility. Of course I never thought there was a snowball's chance in **** Sentrel Henderson would end up here either so every once in a blue moon.

The thing that annoyed me the most was that it's ok to hype your hits, but then he would either make an excuse for his misses, ignore the misses, or flat out lie about the misses. That **** just really irks me. I can't remember how many times I'd ask him about something, he'd say that he didn't say it, and then when I bumped a thread proving that he did say it, he'd just ignore the thread altogether.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he was worthless, but instead that the outright lies were uncalled for.

I do specifically remember Mike basically ripping anyone talking about Aldarius Johnson and the Canes with his smart *** restorts ("thanks for the analysis"). He was adament that there was a 0% chance we were even recruiting him when several other sources said differently, including Aldarius himself. After Aldarius committed to UM he refused to acknowledge his incorrect hardline stance. That really irked me

Advertisement
Realistically or non-realistically?

Non-realistically, its a kid like Ed Goldman for many reasons...position of need, national kid, he's the type of kid that, if you're "Miami" he's the type of kid you land ala KWII or DJ Williams and he comes in and contributes and holds down the fort and the line of scrimmage.

Realistically, its Duke Johnson. Why? Local ballers must stay local. Back in the day, there was a cat by the name of Lester Williams. National, big time recruit, future NFL player, big time player at the college level. He stayed home when no one else was staying home and wore that U with pride...a guy like that goes a LONG way to building your brand back up. I view Duke similarly. In a time when Miami is at its lowest, there is a national stud recruit, that is local, stays home to play football, and is the ambassador to the school you need to become "Miami" again.

Its still Dewey because he's the QB that we are counting on to take us to the next level. After that, it would have to be a DT since we are so thin....so Goldman.

Advertisement
Duke.

We need a kid that can make a play on his own. That's what we have been lacking.

Realistic guys that aren't committed yet: PJ Williams

Lackluster S play IMO is worse then lackluster CB play. A good S can cover up a lot of holes in a defense. Our S play has been mediocre at best

Guys committed: Duke

He's an all world talent, best player in the state

On signing day or at mid semester in January is a pretty good guess on when you will hear about all signed recruits.

Duke + Dewey/Thompson/Crow

We need all 3 QB's. **** who has better stats, they are all 3 QBs that we need on this roster and each brings a different dimention to our team

Dewey - accurate pocket passer with solid arm strength

Crow - BIG QB with cannon arm who can take and deliver a hit for tough yards

Thompson - Very mobile QB who is the most elusive of the 3 and has a great arm with great accuracy.

We dont know which QB with which skill set we need yet. Bringing in all 3 and figuring it out is BIG TIME

Advertisement
It's going to be a huge class that will determine our depth for years to come. I'd be more worried about whether the majority of 2 & 3 stars can contribute down the road.

Advertisement
It's Duke. If he got away it would essentially sink our local advantage from here on out. There are key recruits every few years, and he's about as big and important as it gets. He's a lightening rod type kid that will attract other kids, not just now, but in the future.

Advertisement
Back