Wednesday, 8/26 PractiSe

Barry Sanders is the greatest RB of all time IMO.

Played on some of the worst teams with Detroit but was still one of the most game changing & impactful dynamic backs who could hit a homerun on any given play.

The best field vision of all-time, the best juke artist of all-time, the best escape artists of all-time, I've never seen a RB make defenders miss even without blockers like Barry Sanders did, he could literally have 4 or 5 guys all closing in on him about to tackle him & he could still find a way to maneuver out of it. And in the open field would absolutely embarrass DB's trying to tackle him, he would literally spin Safeties around who were in pursuit.

Barry was special player cut from elite cloth & he cut his career short, had he not retired he probably would've surpassed Walter Payton's record before Emmitt did.

My top 5 favorite (key word is favorite, not best) RB's of All-time:

1. Barry Sanders
2. LaDainian Tomlinson
3. Marshall Faulk
4. Edgerrin James
5. Ricky Williams
I’m shocked not love for Sweetness my man.

Advertisement
anyone that thinks barry sanders isn't the GOAT probably didn't watch enough of him.

that guy made a mockery of defenders, he was a full league above EVERYONE.
I don’t think he’s the goat and I watched a lot of him.
Sweetness, for me, is the GOAT. Rugged, physical, fast, vision, hands, toughness, patience, and just an all around baller

- I’ve hated Jim Brown ever since he got destroyed by Franco Harris after Brown ****-talkEd Harris.
- Barry? Best ever. (Eric Metcalf may have been the second most elusive back I’ve seen nest to Barry)
- USC getting very little love. I’d put OJ (Bills were Lions bad, if not worse) in the top 5 and Marcus Allen has a HOF jacket for a reason.
- Bo Jackson…what could have been.

Advertisement
I’ve never seen an NFL back stop and start and change direction the way Barry Sanders could. 95% of guys would instantly shred their ACLs if they even thought about trying to make moves like he made. And he did it constantly and made it look effortless.

I know this... Put Jim Brown in the 90's his numbers drop.... Put Barry Sanders in the 60's.... He runs for 3000+ yards

I kind of agree with that, but with the advancements in training and fitness, how much of a freak would he have been 20 to 30 years later? He was a freak back then as it was, but the athletes of Barry's time were certainly more athletic than the players of Brown's time. So basically his physical fitness would be even better. Brown was a beast though, no question. Barry through, never seen anything like him at that level.

Chuck Foreman
Lydell Mitchell
Lawrence McCutcheon
Sam "Bam" Cunningham
Franco Harris
Clarence Davis
Pete Banaszak
Preston Pearson
Larry Brown
Terry Metcalf

Players of my youth
Remember em all and you left out my favorite, at least towards the back part of that era - Earl Campbell. Just a monster.

@Coach Macho what's the take on Rooster's comments? I know we have given DFB **** over the years. Has the reputation been that we don't **** with DFB at all?
Rooster basically reiterated a couple things that I've said on this board in the past.

1. Miami didn't recruit Deerfield well enough in the past. Barely came around.

2. Xavier Restrepo needs to be given credit for a big part of Rooster's recruitment.

Plenty of pro-Miami guys on Deerfield's staff. Fortunately it looks like the relationship will be mending itself going forward. The success of Rooster and X will only help.

Advertisement
Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers 1a/1b everybody else take a seat (though Barry was pretty **** good!)
Watched them both when I was a kid. Jim Brown is still the only player to average 100 yard per game over his career. Everyone knew he was going to carry it, the Browns didn't have too many weapons. Sayers is the only one that's comparable to Barry Saunders. It's a shame what injuries did. He came back one but he had one too many. (The current surgical procedures used for knee injuries didn't exist in the 60's.)

Put Sanders, AD, and many more in the 60's and they would dominate. Put him brown and sayers in today's game and they're numbers take drastic drops
I doubt it. The rules today favor a wide open offense. Not so much back then. The game was played different and rougher than it is today. Going against stacked lines, with 7/8 in the box, was the norm. It was the era of the middle LB (Butkis, Huff, Nietske, Nobis, Bednarick, George, Schmidt, Lucci, etc.). It was a time when you stopped the RB, you won the game. There weren't many teams that could expose DBs like today. Most team didn't employ zone coverages, there was no need. Also, it was before the league was watered down with expansion.

This has been debated here before, I know what you're going to say, today they're bigger and faster. But if you take a Jim Brown and submit him to the nutritional and training regimens of today, they would also be bigger and faster. The truly great ones would be great in any era.

I doubt it. The rules today favor a wide open offense. Not so much back then. The game was played different and rougher than it is today. Going against stacked lines, with 7/8 in the box, was the norm. It was the era of the middle LB (Butkis, Huff, Nietske, Nobis, Bednarick, George, Schmidt, Lucci, etc.). It was a time when you stopped the RB, you won the game. There weren't many teams that could expose DBs like today. Most team didn't employ zone coverages, there was no need. Also, it was before the league was watered down with expansion.

This has been debated here before, I know what you're going to say, today they're bigger and faster. But if you take a Jim Brown and submit him to the nutritional and training regimens of today, they would also be bigger and faster. The truly great ones would be great in any era.
Disagree...on a few fronts, especially nutrition.

- It’s fair to say nutrition has advanced in nearly 40 years so where are the multitude of Bo Jacksons and Herschel Walkers today?
- Brown played at a time when comparatively he was one of the biggest on the field. In the 70’s the average OL was 6’3” 250 (Henry would be Jim Brown in Jim Brown days). Brown retired in ‘65.
- “There’s broken China everywhere, there’s a pachyderm in a shop way too small, and I can’t figure out how the China broke” OR the “see no evil post” OR … “Why **** Schaap decided he would NEVER vote for the Heisman trophy again”. BUT, it can’t be “the era of the middle LB (Butkis, Huff, Nietske, Nobis, Bednarick, George, Schmidt, Lucci, etc.)” Because it’s possible that both Brown AND many of those LB’s had an overinflated value. And for those whose idea of subtlety is using a sledge hammer to kill a mosquito…race.

Put Sanders in Brown’s era and he runs for more yards; put Brown in Barry’s and he runs for considerably fewer. Brown, though a statistical and chronological anomaly, ain’t the goat - unless you’re including “ho-slapping” in the criteria.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I just been watching this tape everyday waiting for the 10th.

Haven't seen film like this since Duke Johnson and Dalvin Cook. His talent explodes off the screen. Chaney's film is good no doubt but this Rooster tape is next level imo. I don't know how anyone could watch it and not rank him top of the heap in FL.

Jesus Christ. We are so fortunate he didn’t go to FSPoo. Would be Cook all over again.

I’ve never seen an NFL back stop and start and change direction the way Barry Sanders could. 95% of guys would instantly shred their ACLs if they even thought about trying to make moves like he made. And he did it constantly and made it look effortless.

Barry had an unique balanced technique of running....planting and changing directions with both feet landing on the ground like a wild cat.
Though he had quick feet and was nimble, you almost never see him plant with one foot primarily, to change direction. This kept his CG over his feet until the final lunge for extra yards at the end of his runs. These instincts cannot be taught... it is a combination of his smaller size and technique.
Sheer joy watching him run. Wished he had given us a couple of more years...

Advertisement
They were both all-time greats no doubt I just never saw them play live, I seen highlights & I'm aware of how great they were, I just wasn't alive during their careers.

And my list wasn't the top 5 best, it was my top 5 favorite, meaning my personal 5 favorite RB's that I liked watching the most in the NFL.

But for the older guys who did see them play I know Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Eric ****erson & Walter Payton are all on their lists & I would agree with them too.
If Sanders had an OL like Emmitt had in Dallas, the topic of "Who's the Greatest" would be over....even Walter had a Much better OL...

I don’t think he’s the goat and I watched a lot of him.
Sweetness, for me, is the GOAT. Rugged, physical, fast, vision, hands, toughness, patience, and just an all around baller
Again.....Paytons OL were alot better than what Sanders ran behind....no comparison....and a much better team as well....

Advertisement
Back