Weapons on this team

sebringcanethang23

Sophomore
Article From the Palm Beach post.

Golden lauds linemen: Speaking on WQAM on Monday, Al Golden had some high praise for two of his offensive linemen.

He said left tackle Ereck Flowers and left guard Jon Feliciano are both good enough to win the Outland Trophy, which is awarded to college football’s top interior lineman.

UM hasn’t had an Outland winner since Bryant McKinnie in 2001.

Golden also said Flowers, who played as a freshman at 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, is now up to 325 pounds. According to the coach, Flowers can now bench-press 225 pounds 36 times and was able to do that “15, 16 times” as a freshman.

Flowers, a junior, is ranked 10th among offensive tackles in the 2016 NFL Draft class by NFLDraftScout.com. Feliciano, a senior, is ranked 20th among offensive guards for 2015.

Also ranked among the top 25 at their position for 2015:

Denzel Perryman, the top-ranked inside linebacker, as well as Anthony Chickillo (No. 8 DE), Clive Walford (No. 11 TE), Ladarius Gunter (No. 12 CB), Shane McDermott (No. 13 C), Ryan Williams (No. 17 QB) and Phillip Dorsett (No. 18 WR).

Also on the list: former UM lineman Malcolm Bunche (No. 9 OG), now at UCLA.

Aside from Flowers, Canes among the top 25 at their position for 2016:

Duke Johnson (No. 5 RB), Deon Bush (No. 7 SS), Tracy Howard (No. 15 CB), Raphael Kirby (No. 19 ILB), Rayshawn Jenkins (No. 21 FS), Matt Goudis (No. 22 K), Dallas Crawford (ranked as No. 23 running back, not a safety), Tyriq McCord (No. 24 OLB) and Antonio Crawford (No. 25 CB).

The way-too-early NFLDraftScout.com rankings for 2017 include Stacy Coley (No. 5 WR), Al-Quadin Muhammad (No. 8 DE), Gus Edwards (No. 9 RB), Alex Figueroa (No. 10 OLB), Taylor Gadbois (No. 15 OT) and Nate Dortch (No. 25 CB).

Advertisement
What I see is that we have enough talent to be competitive throughout the season barring injuries. It's been said before, but this is a golden opportunity for one of our young QBs to really flourish because we have a huge OL and playmakers at every skill position. We just need one of them to step up.

Advertisement
A lot of people tend to forget that we're starting to get this talent that was "too young" these past few years to the point where they're older and experienced. I remember it not being too long ago that I was celebrating pulling Tyriq McCord as a recruit...and now, he's a freaking Junior. Several others fit that profile too: Duke, Bush, Howard, Waters, Flowers, Kirby, McCord...all of those guys should play major roles and start or continue to exhibit their talents in a big way this season.

They've played the past couple of years and done well, but this being their Junior years, it's time for them to be THE guys that we recruited them to be.

A lot of people tend to forget that we're starting to get this talent that was "too young" these past few years to the point where they're older and experienced. I remember it not being too long ago that I was celebrating pulling Tyriq McCord as a recruit...and now, he's a freaking Junior. Several others fit that profile too: Duke, Bush, Howard, Waters, Flowers, Kirby, McCord...all of those guys should play major roles and start or continue to exhibit their talents in a big way this season.

They've played the past couple of years and done well, but this being their Junior years, it's time for them to be THE guys that we recruited them to be.

100%

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bunch probably thought he would be the left tackle at UCLA, but last I checked he was at left guard.

Does anyone know why Bunche transferred?? He probably would of been starting had he stayed..

He realized he was nothing more than a rotational guy here.

Saw him at the Spring game in the Alumni Tailgate section for former football players.. Got ZERO love. Had some UCLA Bruin colors on and was the invisible man among a good amount of alumni. He **** sure still ate though. Lol. You can tell he was going to miss that "family" type feel that only UM has. It was written all over his face. You could also tell he knew that was the last time he could ever show his face around there too. But he did what was best for him. Wasnt gonna start here anyway.

Advertisement
Does anyone know why Bunche transferred?? He probably would of been starting had he stayed..

The fact that he would be part of the rotation instead of a featured O lineman, and he also said that he always wanted to see what it was like to be part of a big-time, large university vs. the small private school Miami experience, so this was his chance to do that.

I'm not interested in hearing about how strong anyone is any god **** more.

Him and Wheeler were good friends and both were unhappy with playing time and coaching toward the end of year(second hand inside info--but source told me Bunche was leaving before it got out.). It is one to the reason I thought that Al had lost the team after Tally. These two guys are Al's type of player and they had grown dissatisfied. That still concerns me. With Wheeler gone, maybe Bunche didn't want to hang this year.

Golden also said Flowers, who played as a freshman at 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, is now up to 325 pounds. According to the coach, Flowers can now bench-press 225 pounds 36 times and was able to do that “15, 16 times” as a freshman....

It's amazing you guys believe these numbers.

36 reps would put flowers as the 8th strongest bench press at the NFL Combine since 2006. And most of those guys at the top are interior linemen with short arms., not 6-5 OTs

Goldens strength numbers are about as accurate as Urban Meyers 4.2 40 times.

Flowers is definitely a first round type talent, but c'mon guys. Lets be real.

Advertisement
Back