Weak *** scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 our OOC games were McNese, FSU(Rivalry), Washington, and LA Tech.
2001 our OOC games were Troy, Penn St(expected to be decent), FSU (rivalry) and Washington.

So, 2 "Power 5" teams in 2000 and 3 "Power 5" teams in 2001 (I realize that Power 5 was not yet invented back then).

And in 2002, we played UF, F$U, and Tennessee.

What is everyone complaining about? We lost ONE regular season game in 3 years playing a **** tough schedule, with only 4 non-Power-5 opponents in 3 years.

Advertisement
So, 2 "Power 5" teams in 2000 and 3 "Power 5" teams in 2001 (I realize that Power 5 was not yet invented back then).

And in 2002, we played UF, F$U, and Tennessee.

What is everyone complaining about? We lost ONE regular season game in 3 years playing a **** tough schedule, with only 4 non-Power-5 opponents in 3 years.

The argument is that we scheduled better teams back then. My counter argument is that we DIDN'T do any better than now. Washington (2000) and PennState / Washington(2001) were the only (expected) quality opponents that we scheduled, who wasn't apart of our yearly rotation anyways. If you go back into history to where we really faced off against some blue bloods who weren't on a yearly rotation, you'll be looking at the Independent era.

My thoughts on this are as follows:

If the main concern about the schedule not being strong enough is that, inevitably, there will be a year when we're a 1 loss team and get jumped by some other 1 loss team or - dare I say - some "impressive" 2 loss SEC team for the playoffs...

...isn't it a greater likelihood that a tougher schedule will more likely cause us to lose an additional game and thus preclude us from the playoffs? I tend to think the latter is more statistically likely and thus am in favor of doing it the way we are.

I remember @Awsi Dooger talking about how we made it much tougher on us to win a national championship the moment we left the Big East. We seemed to do just fine playing in a soft Big East for many years. I don't see the need to make it harder knowing that conference strengths ebb and flow. I remember the SEC as a whole was viewed as weak from 1999-2005.

Who’s in charge of that? We consistently have a weak schedule every year. As much as I want to see us consistently win 10 games a year, I’m tired of us playing FAMU, Bethune Cookman, Savannah State, now Southern Mississippi, FIU, FAU and then we announce that we’re doing a home and home with USF. Mostly every year our hardest game on the schedule is FSU with the exception of a couple. I’m sure schools negatively recruit against us in that they play 4 to 5 big games a year while we may have 2.
Not even reading the responses I’m sure everyone has already told you you are an idiot.

Advertisement
I don't wait all year to watch us play Bethune Cookman, FAMU, Savannah State, Southern Mississippi, FIU, FAU. But based on the stupid system we have in college football, where you basically can't lose 1 game if you are not at a top level money market football team, then it's better to just collect as many wins as possible regardless if cupcake or not.

There isn't a powerful stat with the stupid bowl selection committee about playing a good team well, but losing.

Basically, we wait around all year for 6 ******* games and if we lose 2 of these games to start the year, there is no recovery option in this system so the other 4 games suck!

Slow or stupid? Georgia did a couple years ago. Watch the games and not Wikipedia

Georgia made the playoffs by beating Bama and Auburn in the SEC Championship. If they didn't win the SEC, they were sitting at home for those playoffs. In the same way, if we win the ACC we're in. Non conference games didn't mean anything and they won't for us.

I don't wait all year to watch us play Bethune Cookman, FAMU, Savannah State, Southern Mississippi, FIU, FAU. But based on the stupid system we have in college football, where you basically can't lose 1 game if you are not at a top level money market football team, then it's better to just collect as many wins as possible regardless if cupcake or not.

There isn't a powerful stat with the stupid bowl selection committee about playing a good team well, but losing.

Basically, we wait around all year for 6 ******* games.

It's the system we live in. Why put yourself in a different situation then 98% of the other teams vying for the same 4 spots? Would be doing yourself a disservice by doing that. There will be times when we have 2 P5 teams on the schedule as OOC, but it will be the exception, just like it is for the majority of CFP contenders.

Advertisement
It's the system we live in. Why put yourself in a different situation then 98% of the other teams vying for the same 4 spots? Would be doing yourself a disservice by doing that. There will be times when we have 2 P5 teams on the schedule as OOC, but it will be the exception, just like it is for the majority of CFP contenders.
I don't know. Based on our luck or even the odds of getting VOTED in to the 4-team playoff, I would rather be entertained having us play some of the best teams in the nation then this cupcake crap. Not much difference at the end of the day if we are 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 if we don't play for a ship.

The argument is that we scheduled better teams back then. My counter argument is that we DIDN'T do any better than now. Washington (2000) and PennState / Washington(2001) were the only (expected) quality opponents that we scheduled, who wasn't apart of our yearly rotation anyways. If you go back into history to where we really faced off against some blue bloods who weren't on a yearly rotation, you'll be looking at the Independent era.

Look, I basically agree. We have had 3 different eras just in the time since I enrolled at UM, the Major Independent era, the Big East era, and the ACC era.

I'm just pointing out that 2 good OOC games is not going to prevent us from winning, and it is not going to prevent us from making the playoffs. We've done it before, we just haven't had good ADs lately (for scheduling purposes).

It's not some betrayal of Miami history or some violation of Power 5 protocol to schedule 2 Power 5 games each year, but some people are running around clutching their pearls and acting as if we are suggesting something insane by asking for 2 good Power 5 OOC games each year.

Some idiot earlier acted as if I somehow don't understand NCAA football, even though I've had my UM tickets (as either a student or alum) since 1986.

I've seen it all. 2 Power 5 OOC games per year isn't going to kill us, and it will end up making things better for recruits, alums, and fans.

Who’s in charge of that? We consistently have a weak schedule every year. As much as I want to see us consistently win 10 games a year, I’m tired of us playing FAMU, Bethune Cookman, Savannah State, now Southern Mississippi, FIU, FAU and then we announce that we’re doing a home and home with USF. Mostly every year our hardest game on the schedule is FSU with the exception of a couple. I’m sure schools negatively recruit against us in that they play 4 to 5 big games a year while we may have 2.

Nice post...whilst you're hoping and praying we can play Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Oklahoma every year, I find myself hoping and praying we can beat Virginia, Duke and GT consistently. I'm sure schools negatively recruit against us when we lose to those schools PERIOD.

No we don’t.

Although we occasionally have two major P5 OOC games. Check schedules above.

But we have no need to schedule 2 P5 OOC games every year.

You’re dead wrong.

Just change "OriginalCanesCanesCanes" to "OriginalGatesGatesGates" and your porst would fit in perfectly on a Gaytors board.

I've never seen such estrogen-filled Miami fans. We used to be "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" and now we have whiners talking about "scheduling patterns" of a bunch of pussified Power 5 schools, and justifying why we should only play 1 Power 5 school per year.

Good lord, our fanbase is getting weaker by the day.

Advertisement
I don't know. Based on our luck or even the odds of getting VOTED in to the 4-team playoff, I would rather be entertained having us play some of the best teams in the nation then this cupcake crap. Not much difference at the end of the day if we are 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 if we don't play for a ship.

Don't disagree on the entertainment value. I still enjoy watching the team play every Saturday and going to home games no matter who it is. Would enjoy a bit more if we didn't lose to the Pitt's, UVA's and Duke's of the world. We gotta prove we belong before we can even be in the discussion to be voted out of the playoff. We have done a good job of making that easy on the committee regardless of scheduling. We still have a ways to go.

We have opened the season with LSU and scheduled with Florida, Alabama, Michigan State, Texas A&M and Notre Dame.

Are you stupid, or are you really really stupid?
tarting from 2015- FAU, Bethune Cookman, Cincinnati in the same year
2016-FAMU, App St., FAU in the same year
2017- Bethune Cookman, Arkansas St, Toledo
2018- Savannah St, Toledo, FIU.

Just change "OriginalCanesCanesCanes" to "OriginalGatesGatesGates" and your porst would fit in perfectly on a Gaytors board.

I've never seen such estrogen-filled Miami fans. We used to be "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" and now we have whiners talking about "scheduling patterns" of a bunch of pussified Power 5 schools, and justifying why we should only play 1 Power 5 school per year.

Good lord, our fanbase is getting weaker by the day.

You’re equating manliness to scheduling an extra unnecessary P5 game?

I’ve read it all now.

I’m a badass, dlck-swinging master scheduler. Come feel my swollen scheduling muscles.

You’ve gone full ****** on this one

Advertisement
Starting from 2015- FAU, Bethune Cookman, Cincinnati in the same year
2016-FAMU, App St., FAU in the same year
2017- Bethune Cookman, Arkansas St, Toledo
2018- Savannah St, Toledo, FIU.

2019 - Bethune-Cookman, FIU, Central Michigan

2014 - Florida A&M, Arkansas State, Cincinnati

2013 - FAU, Savannah State, USF

After Paul ManaDee stepped down as AD, our scheduling went soft. ****, in 2011, we opened with Maryland, Ohio State, and Kansas State.

You’re equating manliness to scheduling an extra unnecessary P5 game?

I’ve read it all now.

I’m a badass, dlck-swinging master scheduler. Come feel my swollen scheduling muscles.

You’ve gone full ****** on this one

No, I'm equating lack of manliness to advocating for playing a ***** schedule.

There is a difference.

"Unnecessary P5 game". There's no such thing. That's weak-minded thinking.

Why are you mad at me because of your weakness?

Here's the thing, colleges don't schedule non conference home and homes nearly as often as they used to so comparing schedules from now to schedules from 20 years ago is moot. Do you know why they don't schedule as many P5 home and homes? Because the committee has proven that they don't reward overly ambitious schedules. Would I like to see more games featuring non traditional power opponents? Of course. Is it going to happen? Nope. Let's stop acting like Miami is the only program not playing powerhouses every week.

A yearly series with UF would be perfect but we all know why that's not happening either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back