Weak OL play

OL is only as good as the weakest link - usually includes the TE and FB in that cause if they miss a block the OL still usually gets the blame after the fact. The 2nd team OL looked horrible and a big part of that was the 3rd string LG who was in there. Rewatch the scrimmage and count how many times either Pierre or Robinson made the tackle or got real good penetration when they were lined up over him. It's like when Pipho was out there a couple years ago. Whole OL looked bad when usually it was a breakdown related to Pipho. Even last year the whole OL looked bad and over and over it was Chase Ford getting tossed by a DE or LB. Once Feliciano is healthy Johnson can go ahead and battle for one of the OT spots. Flowers might be part of that battle too.

Advertisement
What Staybon said. The interior OL was way short-handed and that's where most of the leaks were,

That's an excuse, but it's not much of an excuse. There were a ton of penalties, and they weren't on the 4th string guard.

Advertisement
Never should have brought Kehoe back

It just keeps ringing in my head everytime I see our O line play. As is so often the case in life - the best barometer of value is the free marketplace. Kehoe would be either unemployed or coaching at the juco level if it werent for Golden extending the offer.

Im extremely concerned. There seems to be too much talent in the O line group for them to be this far below average.

But why then would/did Golden bring him back? Is Al just a nice guy? Do you think the OL is not part of his keys to long term success with his vision for the future?

Exactly. If it was for Art's zealous Cane spirit that Golden wanted so desperately to infuse back into the program as a bonus value point, that's fine, but where's the cause/effect turnaround in OL play? At a certain point you'd think Golden has to address it, and he doesn't appear to be the type that hangs on to non-performers.

the OL last year wasn't god awful last year...weren't great, weren't god awful

They were inconsistent, and the tight end situation was awful too.

Tight ends should be better this year, line should be better. Would have been nice if Brandon Washington had come back, we could have played Linder at center and had a ton of depth at guard.

It just keeps ringing in my head everytime I see our O line play. As is so often the case in life - the best barometer of value is the free marketplace. Kehoe would be either unemployed or coaching at the juco level if it werent for Golden extending the offer.

Im extremely concerned. There seems to be too much talent in the O line group for them to be this far below average.

But why then would/did Golden bring him back? Is Al just a nice guy? Do you think the OL is not part of his keys to long term success with his vision for the future?

Exactly. If it was for Art's zealous Cane spirit that Golden wanted so desperately to infuse back into the program as a bonus value point, that's fine, but where's the cause/effect turnaround in OL play? At a certain point you'd think Golden has to address it, and he doesn't appear to be the type that hangs on to non-performers.
My personal theory is that Kehoe wasn't his first choice. I seem to recall a lot of chatter about bringing in someone from the NFL, but his name escapes me at the moment. In any event, I think Kehoe was somewhat of an emergency hire and yes, I have faith in Golden to rectify the situation if the o-line continues to under-perform.

Coach Golden missed on his first 2 or 3 O line coaching candidates. Kehoe was a plan D guy that he got on late just to fill out the coaching staff.

Advertisement

Coach Golden missed on his first 2 or 3 O line coaching candidates. Kehoe was a plan D guy that he got on late just to fill out the coaching staff.

My opinion if the O-line doesnt pan out this year it may be kehoe's last dance here...

Ok. I'm watching the Spring Game on reply on CSS. I've counted four false starts and we're not out of the first quarter. :mad: And another one!

Last edited:
What Staybon said. The interior OL was way short-handed and that's where most of the leaks were,

The interior of the OL had the "leak" because someone drilled a hole there when Brandon Washington was kept at tackle.

Dude was an All-ACC guard converted to average at best at tackle and then we wonder why the interior of the OL was busted.

The interior of the OL had the "leak" because someone drilled a hole there when Brandon Washington was kept at tackle.

Dude was an All-ACC guard converted to average at best at tackle and then we wonder why the interior of the OL was busted.

I meant this spring.

Advertisement
McDermott remains a potential liability. I watched him get handled routinely during practice in 2010 and while he's bigger/stronger now, he's probably not the loing-term answer at center. Linder at center with Jermaine Johnson starting somewhere gives us much more strength up front in the trnsches.

McDermott remains a potential liability. I watched him get handled routinely during practice in 2010 and while he's bigger/stronger now, he's probably not the loing-term answer at center. Linder at center with Jermaine Johnson starting somewhere gives us much more strength up front in the trnsches.

You know thats a great thought and all but Al Golden said himself that McDermott was FAR ahead of anyone else at center.

Just because Linder had more stars doesnt mean he is better at the spot.

Advertisement
Far ahead of Wheeler and Eddie Lopez I guess. Kehoe and Golden know what they're doing and I haven't seen Shane practice in a while. Besides, Linder is our best guard and it would be a shame to have to move him. But he took a ton of snaps at center his freshman year so it might remain a possibility. As for your stars comment, I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's about what I've seen with my own eyes, and I distinctly remember Stoutland during a practice back in '10 saying "You know, you're gonna have to win one of these one-on-ones at some point McDermott." He was getting thrown around. He's a really hard worker and has a **** of a mean streak so I'm trying to remain optimistic.

If the OL doesn't play well this year, I can see Kehoe "retiring" at the end of the season. That way, Golden can let him bow out semi-gracefully and upgrade the coaching staff at the same time.

Far ahead of Wheeler and Eddie Lopez I guess. Kehoe and Golden know what they're doing and I haven't seen Shane practice in a while. Besides, Linder is our best guard and it would be a shame to have to move him. But he took a ton of snaps at center his freshman year so it might remain a possibility. As for your stars comment, I don't know what that has to do with anything. It's about what I've seen with my own eyes, and I distinctly remember Stoutland during a practice back in '10 saying "You know, you're gonna have to win one of these one-on-ones at some point McDermott." He was getting thrown around. He's a really hard worker and has a **** of a mean streak so I'm trying to remain optimistic.

He was talking about Linder too because the question was specifically about moving Linder to Center IIRC.

I am not flaming you for your opinion because its what I hoped for as well, just saying its not just that simple according to Golden. I wouldnt mind seeing Linder go out to the tackle spot either. Neither Henderson or Bunche have been all that impressive, not consistently anyway.

Advertisement
Back