We are a legitimate playoff contender

Advertisement
Good post OP.

We CAN be in the conversation if we keep improving and depth takes big steps.

We need luck, breaks and to stay healthy and we can make a 2017'ish run.
This team is much better than that 2017 squad, where Malik freaking Rosier had us undefeated & ranked #2 in the nation going into the last regular season game at Pitt. If we'd have taken care of business in Pittsburgh and won the ACCCG, we'd have certainly been in the CFP, and this is at a time when Bama, UGA & Clemson were dominant.

If that 2017 team got that close, nobody who knows what they're looking at would seriously think we don't have a shot at making the final 4 this year.

I guarantee you Mario is thinking playoffs this year.

When I look at our team, definitely don’t see one of the top four teams in the country. The thing is, I don’t really see anyone else that is either. All the top teams have flaws. There’s nobody that I see and think “Oh ****, we’d have no shot against them”. College football is getting a much needed dose of competition after only having a handful of schools dominate for the last decade or so. It’s more fun when one team isn’t way better than everyone else.

When I look at our team, definitely don’t see one of the top four teams in the country. The thing is, I don’t really see anyone else that is either. All the top teams have flaws. There’s nobody that I see and think “Oh ****, we’d have no shot against them”. College football is getting a much needed dose of competition after only having a handful of schools dominate for the last decade or so. It’s more fun when one team isn’t way better than everyone else.

To me, there’s not going to be a team I feel we have no shot against because I like our OL vs any team we play. I’m not saying they’d dominate the game and drop 40+ on anybody, but there’s not a team in the country that I feel just steamrolls us up front on that side. And if you can win the OL vs DL matchup, meaning you can have at least moderate success running the ball and more importantly protect your QB, you have a shot to score on anyone. Especially when that QB is as accurate right now as anyone we’ve ever had play the position here.

A really accurate and prepared QB given time to throw by an excellent OL spells trouble for any defense.

Advertisement
We've made huge steps compared to last year, but I think we're a few classes away still from being a legit contender. We still don't have the depth when we get late in to the season IMO. That said, there isn't a game on our schedule that isn't winnable. But running the table is hard, and you need to have depth to be able to do that and we're still in a place where there's a big dropoff from the starters to the second and third teams as we saw against Bethune
I agree completely about stacking top classes, but you have another strong portal "class" again, you can accelerate that rebuild quickly. Also, teams like Bama may not be able to hold on to their "depth" with the portal. I think things are going to be wide open for a little while. Eventually, the southern aristocracy will figure out how to cheat the system again.

This team is much better than that 2017 squad, where Malik freaking Rosier had us undefeated & ranked #2 in the nation going into the last regular season game at Pitt. If we'd have taken care of business in Pittsburgh and won the ACCCG, we'd have certainly been in the CFP, and this is at a time when Bama, UGA & Clemson were dominant.

If that 2017 team got that close, nobody who knows what they're looking at would seriously think we don't have a shot at making the final 4 this year.

That 2017 team was never really close though IMO. Beating Pitt and getting smashed by Clemson should have knocked us out IMO. We had a good record but would not have been in anyone's top 4 power rankings. We all knew deep down it was a paper tiger, but we went on a great run for a bit.

This team might be better, that remains to be seen. I don't think a 2017 run is out of the question, but I also think it's the ceiling.

Last edited:
This thread is def getting posted on the FSU and UF boards. We need to do better as a board.

You’re talking playoffs and we’ve played one real team who in reality might suck. It’s way too early for this.

Think before you post please…
I hope it does so the fairies on Swampgrass & Whorechant can see this open invitation to suck my nuts.

[BGCOLOR=initial]Grow some balls before you post again please. [/BGCOLOR]

Last edited:
Advertisement
The basketball program is coming off an elite eight and final four back to back run.

The football team is going to the college football playoff.

And the baseball team is gonna go to Oma……wait, they did what??
I’m on the baseball board a lot during the season. Those guys are not like the football guys. Most of the posters there know the sport and have played or coached. This football board is 10% jock and 90% jock sniffer. That’s why we get these crazy predictions and ****

This is the "Overreaction" segment that every college football podcast has. It's a hot take. But...the more football we watch, the less crazy this gets. But it's just way too early to tell.

One thing is for sure though, SEC looks like hot trash. And the B1G doesn't look much better.

Syracuse beat Purdue, Duke beat Northwestern (no surprise there), North Carolina whooped on Minnesota in what some saw as a potential upset special, and Louisville squeaked out a win against Indiana. Michigan State got dogwalked by Washington.

Michigan has been sleepwalking against bottom of the barrel teams. Penn State looked average against an Illinois team that also got beat by Kansas. Ohio State hasn't impressed too many people either. Wisconsin got beat by the only P5 team they've played so far.

You know things are bad when Rutgers is the surprise team out of the B1G so far.

It's going to be a crazy year.

Advertisement
We’ve played one good team this year.

Look, I feel great about where the team is going, but I know it’s a long season and we should all know better than to start making grandiose statements based on a very small sample size.
Meaning Miami?

There is a ton of parity this year. After three weeks, I don't see any team that is head and shoulders over anyone else. It's a long season with some challenging road games but if we can stay healthy, don't slip up and we keep playing well then there is no reason why we should not be in the discussion. For now let's just get ready for Temple. If you can make it to to Temple and Georgia Tech, please go! We do make a difference.

Advertisement

He might be thinking playoffs this year, but he's going to have to hope for a miraculously injury free season. We don't have playoff depth at all.

He might be thinking playoffs this year, but he's going to have to hope for a miraculously injury free season. We don't have playoff depth at all.
This is true, but if TVD & the oline stay healthy, I think we can play with anybody. Dawson's play calling is a thing of beauty, and he can run whatever he wants with this OL. It's tough to beat any team with a deadly accurate gunslinger at QB who gets serious time in the pocket every time he drops back unless you send the house, where he'll burn you either way.

Yup, and if Mesidor is out for the year, that might honestly be worth half a win. We don’t have anybody who can step in and do what he does. Besides Kam, he was the best player on the team last season. Of course we’ll never find out how actually hurt he is, because we’d have to shutter the program if they announced he hurt his foot, but if he’s out for a long time, that absolutely caps the ceiling of the defense, imo. And we’re only 25% of the way through the season and have only played 1 real team.

So yeah, if he’s only got a 2-3 week injury and we stay miraculously injury free, this team might make some serious noise. But the odds are very long on that. I just want to head to Chapel Hill at 5-0. No more injuries the next 2 games, win by a few scores in each, and stay healthy. If we don’t lose any other starters the next 2 games and win both, at UNC is going to be an absolutely gigantic game for us.

I love your confidence but I just don’t see it happening.

Mario’s resume says we beat UNC and probably FSU too. The losing streaks to UNC , FSU, and Clemson work in our favor. Clemson is on the ropes and will take some desperate swings to save their season. If we come out prepared, we can embarrass them.

The games I’m concerned about are NC State and BC.

Advertisement
Back