Watched the 85-86 Canes play for first time.

But he is 13th in steals
Screenshot_20200319-212429_Chrome.jpg

Advertisement
Man, I gotta hijack the thread for this silliness. I’m not even a Bron truther but holy Jesus this “LeBron couldn’t have played in the ‘80s” nonsense is the most absurd **** I’ve ever heard. Is LeBron a crybaby and maybe a little soft? Probably. But put him in the ‘80s, where EVERYONE was physical, and you think a dude MASSIVELY bigger than **** near everyone else would be “eaten alive”? Take a lap man, come on. MJ survived just fine and he was 6’6 and maybe 205 back then. Dude was a rail, just like **** near every other player. Go back and watch the “tough guys”....Bill Laimbeer, dudes like that. LeBron is 20x stronger than that dude. You think LeBron would go careening under the basket if Michael Cooper hit him in the head on a drive like these dudes did? In an era where there was no flopping, no diva bull****? Give me a break.

It’s pointless really to compare eras, cause everything is different. But if you think a 6’8 and 275 freakshow of an athlete would be “eaten alive” by dudes who barely even worked out, you’re out of your mind.
Exactly!!! I laugh at that **** all of the time. Most of them guys were still smoking cigarettes and drinking liquor, after the game. LBJ is athletic freak and would have dominated.

I am disappointed that a person like Lebron gets to build a team around him with stars. No loyalty to teammates or fans. This is a different era and I find it less exciting then when a player was a Celtic or Laker they were loyal. Used to love the NBA and now I seldom watch.

Exactly!!! I laugh at that **** all of the time. Most of them guys were still smoking cigarettes and drinking liquor, after the game. LBJ is athletic freak and would have dominated.

He’s all steroids. He is the softest player in the NBA

Advertisement
I am disappointed that a person like Lebron gets to build a team around him with stars. No loyalty to teammates or fans. This is a different era and I find it less exciting then when a player was a Celtic or Laker they were loyal. Used to love the NBA and now I seldom watch.
College is where it’s at. It’s different when u r chasing a check and when u r making a check

Man, I gotta hijack the thread for this silliness. I’m not even a Bron truther but holy Jesus this “LeBron couldn’t have played in the ‘80s” nonsense is the most absurd **** I’ve ever heard. Is LeBron a crybaby and maybe a little soft? Probably. But put him in the ‘80s, where EVERYONE was physical, and you think a dude MASSIVELY bigger than **** near everyone else would be “eaten alive”? Take a lap man, come on. MJ survived just fine and he was 6’6 and maybe 205 back then. Dude was a rail, just like **** near every other player. Go back and watch the “tough guys”....Bill Laimbeer, dudes like that. LeBron is 20x stronger than that dude. You think LeBron would go careening under the basket if Michael Cooper hit him in the head on a drive like these dudes did? In an era where there was no flopping, no diva bull****? Give me a break.

It’s pointless really to compare eras, cause everything is different. But if you think a 6’8 and 275 freakshow of an athlete would be “eaten alive” by dudes who barely even worked out, you’re out of your mind.
They players today could play back in the 80s but they'd have to change their style of play.things players get away with today couldn't get away with it back then.

I was on that team. Our roster was filled with studs. Those where some special times. I have made so many memories from those years. Back then, our team was very close. We did everything together.

I feel that sports in general is so much different today than it was back then. Back then, it was way more physical. A great example I always use is the current NBA. If a guy like Lebron played in the 80’s and 90’s, he would get absolutely eaten alive. He wouldn’t be able to survive. Imagine the 89 and 90 pistons team or those great Celtics teams going up against Lebron. You can say the same thing about football. It’s rare to find a guy like Jerome Brown, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylo, Sean Taylor, ect. Those guys were the baddest dudes ever and they all played with a chip on their shoulder.

it’s because now excitement is viewed as high scores and not overcoming physical defense. Every sport has softened the rules to manufacture higher scores

Advertisement

Straight truth man and I’m not a big LeBron guy. It’s just the boomer take to say basketball players were better or tougher back then.

If Lebron walked on the court, the 80's Pistons would think the guy stepped out of 21st Century thunderdome. He may be a little soft around the edges, but he's just a product of how the game is played today. If he'd grown up back then, he'd be a product of that too. Don't blame the player.

Advertisement
Today’s athletes are bigger, faster, stronger than any time before. Those NBA tough guys were tough because the league allowed it at the time. Half of them wouldn’t have a job in today’s game because skill has been emphasized over toughness and it’s made the game faster, higher scoring and for many people, much more exciting. I don’t miss the days of 78-74 slugfests between the Knicks and Cavs in the 90’s. Nothing but a bunch of grabbing and holding. To me it’s why Jordan is the real GOAT because he still lit those dudes up even though they were all holding him and hitting him

Advertisement
Today’s athletes are bigger, faster, stronger than any time before. Those NBA tough guys were tough because the league allowed it at the time. Half of them wouldn’t have a job in today’s game because skill has been emphasized over toughness and it’s made the game faster, higher scoring and for many people, much more exciting. I don’t miss the days of 78-74 slugfests between the Knicks and Cavs in the 90’s. Nothing but a bunch of grabbing and holding. To me it’s why Jordan is the real GOAT because he still lit those dudes up even though they were all holding him and hitting him
I would disagree on the stronger and bigger part of it. A lot of athletes today all use steroids or other supplements. The NBA today sucks. If you touch someone with your pinky, you will get called for a foul. There is a foul every 20 seconds. It’s honestly a tough sport to watch. Everybody in today’s NBA flops and cries. Lebron James and James Harden are the kings of flopping. Lebron James also fakes injuries. I was watching the survive and advance 30 for 30 the other day, and coach K was saying how the 80s was the peak of basketball. He said it was more competitive and the style of play was better.

I was born in 89, and the earliest games i remember were 99-00. The only things I know about the original dynasty is what I watched on “The U”. Biggest takeaways after watching entire game:

Testaverde had an absolute cannon and beautiful looking passes. Brian Bosworth really lived up to his billing and was all over the place making plays, but so were Melvin B and Highsmith.

Recruiting: a big thing that stuck out was UM’s roster was all FL kids and OU was all Texas and some Oklahoma kids. Recruiting wasn’t so wide spread and many kids stayed local. I know that doesn’t sound so shocking but with social media, YouTube, and recruiting services having absolutely changed recruiting from this time period, the almost entire home grown rosters for both teams was significant.

Orange Bowl: absolute chaos. I’ve been to the Rock countless times but never the OB. It was so loud, Oklahoma’s QB walked away from the line of scrimmage to ***** to the ref. Canes were actually charged a time out and warned for crowd noise. Then on one possession, 3rd and a mile deep inside the west end zone, the crowd was going so nuts that Miami’s DLinemen were all waving with their hands to calm the crowd. I’ve never seen any crowd at any college stadium get flagged for being too loud

Born in 1974. Was in seventh grade for that home game against No. 1 Oklahoma and it was the most intense game I'd ever been at ... until tenth grade when No. 1 Notre Dame visited in 1989—a season after they stole one in South Bend.

Don Bailey Jr. said the cheeseball line on some highlights video about how if you'd lit a match in the Orange Bowl that night, it would've blown up—and truth be told, that Jim Carrey-looking **** wasn't lying. Absolutely insane football environment in an era that will never return—not just at UM, but anywhere. Different era, different time, different breed of teams / players and fans.

Lebron would dominate the 80s and 90s at half speed are u drunk old man??

Advertisement
Back