Watched the 85-86 Canes play for first time.

WPB Cane

Redshirt Senior
I was born in 89, and the earliest games i remember were 99-00. The only things I know about the original dynasty is what I watched on “The U”. Biggest takeaways after watching entire game:

Testaverde had an absolute cannon and beautiful looking passes. Brian Bosworth really lived up to his billing and was all over the place making plays, but so were Melvin B and Highsmith.

Recruiting: a big thing that stuck out was UM’s roster was all FL kids and OU was all Texas and some Oklahoma kids. Recruiting wasn’t so wide spread and many kids stayed local. I know that doesn’t sound so shocking but with social media, YouTube, and recruiting services having absolutely changed recruiting from this time period, the almost entire home grown rosters for both teams was significant.

Orange Bowl: absolute chaos. I’ve been to the Rock countless times but never the OB. It was so loud, Oklahoma’s QB walked away from the line of scrimmage to ***** to the ref. Canes were actually charged a time out and warned for crowd noise. Then on one possession, 3rd and a mile deep inside the west end zone, the crowd was going so nuts that Miami’s DLinemen were all waving with their hands to calm the crowd. I’ve never seen any crowd at any college stadium get flagged for being too loud

Advertisement
I was on that team. Our roster was filled with studs. Those where some special times. I have made so many memories from those years. Back then, our team was very close. We did everything together.

I feel that sports in general is so much different today than it was back then. Back then, it was way more physical. A great example I always use is the current NBA. If a guy like Lebron played in the 80’s and 90’s, he would get absolutely eaten alive. He wouldn’t be able to survive. Imagine the 89 and 90 pistons team or those great Celtics teams going up against Lebron. You can say the same thing about football. It’s rare to find a guy like Jerome Brown, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylo, Sean Taylor, ect. Those guys were the baddest dudes ever and they all played with a chip on their shoulder.

I was on that team. Our roster was filled with studs. Those where some special times. I have made so many memories from those years. Back then, our team was very close. We did everything together.

I feel that sports in general is so much different today than it was back then. Back then, it was way more physical. A great example I always use is the current NBA. If a guy like Lebron played in the 80’s and 90’s, he would get absolutely eaten alive. He wouldn’t be able to survive. Imagine the 89 and 90 pistons team or those great Celtics teams going up against Lebron. You can say the same thing about football. It’s rare to find a guy like Jerome Brown, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylo, Sean Taylor, ect. Those guys were the baddest dudes ever and they all played with a chip on their shoulder.
Man that D Line was nuts in this game. Oklahoma ran everything from a wishbone and the defense had an answer for anywhere OU went with the ball. The offense was great too. Jimmy real pushed the envelope with his play calling.

Man, I gotta hijack the thread for this silliness. I’m not even a Bron truther but holy Jesus this “LeBron couldn’t have played in the ‘80s” nonsense is the most absurd **** I’ve ever heard. Is LeBron a crybaby and maybe a little soft? Probably. But put him in the ‘80s, where EVERYONE was physical, and you think a dude MASSIVELY bigger than **** near everyone else would be “eaten alive”? Take a lap man, come on. MJ survived just fine and he was 6’6 and maybe 205 back then. Dude was a rail, just like **** near every other player. Go back and watch the “tough guys”....Bill Laimbeer, dudes like that. LeBron is 20x stronger than that dude. You think LeBron would go careening under the basket if Michael Cooper hit him in the head on a drive like these dudes did? In an era where there was no flopping, no diva bull****? Give me a break.

It’s pointless really to compare eras, cause everything is different. But if you think a 6’8 and 275 freakshow of an athlete would be “eaten alive” by dudes who barely even worked out, you’re out of your mind.

Advertisement

You are nuttier than squirrel ****.

Man, I gotta hijack the thread for this silliness. I’m not even a Bron truther but holy Jesus this “LeBron couldn’t have played in the ‘80s” nonsense is the most absurd **** I’ve ever heard. Is LeBron a crybaby and maybe a little soft? Probably. But put him in the ‘80s, where EVERYONE was physical, and you think a dude MASSIVELY bigger than **** near everyone else would be “eaten alive”? Take a lap man, come on. MJ survived just fine and he was 6’6 and maybe 205 back then. Dude was a rail, just like **** near every other player. Go back and watch the “tough guys”....Bill Laimbeer, dudes like that. LeBron is 20x stronger than that dude. You think LeBron would go careening under the basket if Michael Cooper hit him in the head on a drive like these dudes did? In an era where there was no flopping, no diva bull****? Give me a break.

It’s pointless really to compare eras, cause everything is different. But if you think a 6’8 and 275 freakshow of an athlete would be “eaten alive” by dudes who barely even worked out, you’re out of your mind.
Look, I am a little biased against Lebron. I personally can’t stand him. He is a disgrace to this country after what he said about China but we won’t get into that. I personally believe Lebron James is soft. He is the biggest flopper I have ever seen. He always fakes injuries. He uses steroids. The list goes on and on. Below, I posted the fight between Bird and Laimbeer. You don’t see that physicality in the NBA today.

Advertisement
That's how the game is played today. Has nothing to do whether he could handle a more physical brand of ball. If he could be that aggressive on d as they were wayback then, I'm sure he'd probably be defensive player of the year every year.
Are you talking about Lebron? Because Lebron doesn’t play defense 😂😂. It’s probably one of the weaker parts of game.

Look, I am a little biased against Lebron. I personally can’t stand him. He is a disgrace to this country after what he said about China but we won’t get into that. I personally believe Lebron James is soft. He is the biggest flopper I have ever seen. He always fakes injuries. He uses steroids. The list goes on and on. Below, I posted the fight between Bird and Laimbeer. You don’t see that physicality in the NBA today.

Agree with this. But to say he’d be eaten alive is ridiculous. He’s soft because the league is soft. If he played in a more physical era, he’d be conditioned to that. And even if he wasn’t and was just soft at birth no matter what year it was, he’d be the most physically imposing dude in the league. He’d wreck dudes in the 80s. None of those dudes even worked out. He’s stronger than everyone in the NBA today, imagine in 1987? Come on. Nobody is stopping that dude short of punching him in the teeth, which prob would‘ve happened. But ain’t nobody 6’8 275 and more athletic than everyone else on the planet being eaten alive by Mark Eaton LOL

I think he is saying that if Lebron had the same mentality in the 80s he'd get eaten alive. Which is probably true...however, as it was previously stated if he grew up in that era he likely wouldn't act like such a *****. He also wouldn't be quite as physically imposing as well. The workout regiments were non-existent. Basically everything is different.

Is ogcanes87 dan sileo ?

Advertisement

Cut the ****. You weren’t on the team.

Advertisement
You can look it up yourself like I just did before I blurted out something that's not true. Peep the avatar I'm real person not some make believe jerk off.
My bad the internet is a bad sauce they had Kobe at 4th
Screenshot_20200319-211959_Google.jpg

Advertisement
Back