Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane was my second choice after Mario. I don’t think it’s even questionable that he’s significantly better on Saturdays. While Mario is definitely a better recruiter, Lane isn’t bad at all. And the fact is he would have gotten more wins faster. Then he would have bailed for the NFL or another even higher paying P4 job like Bama or TAMU.

Advertisement
Florida Atlantic Fau Football GIF by FAU Athletics

You dont move a guy that started at LT a whole year for no apparent reason. Hes cemented at LT there isnt any one on roster that beat him out last year at that spot and i doubt it currently and what would be the benefit for HIM to move at this point.

Its obvious the only lineman they targeted in the portal other than carpenter has been a....LEFT GUARD
The benefit to him is there is almost no shot he starts at LT in the NFL. But more than that he can have a full yr of tape with Mario+Mirabal showing himself at OT and OG. **** I think k it would have personally been great for him to play Center this yr. Then he'd have Sophomore at OG, Jr at OT, and SR at OC. Every NFL team values that and will like to see him at his more than likely future position this yr.

The apparent reason would be incredibly clear - we have an elite talent at OT going into his 2nd year. This OL has a much higher ceiling with Okunlola at LT and Rivers at any of the interior OL positions than it does with Rivers at LT and this transfer or someone else currently on the roster at LG. This isn't complicated. If Okunlola isn't going to start this yr, he needs to probably transfer out cause we are wasting a lot of money on him.

You get the best 5 that work the best together. Imo that does not require Rivers at LT at all. Maybe that's what we end up and Okunlola isn't starting...

Lane was my second choice after Mario. I don’t think it’s even questionable that he’s significantly better on Saturdays. While Mario is definitely a better recruiter, Lane isn’t bad at all. And the fact is he would have gotten more wins faster. Then he would have bailed for the NFL or another even higher paying P4 job like Bama or TAMU.
Yet those jobs and others came open and he's still at Ole Miss.

Advertisement
The benefit to him is there is almost no shot he starts at LT in the NFL. But more than that he can have a full yr of tape with Mario+Mirabal showing himself at OT and OG. **** I think k it would have personally been great for him to play Center this yr. Then he'd have Sophomore at OG, Jr at OT, and SR at OC. Every NFL team values that and will like to see him at his more than likely future position this yr.

The apparent reason would be incredibly clear - we have an elite talent at OT going into his 2nd year. This OL has a much higher ceiling with Okunlola at LT and Rivers at any of the interior OL positions than it does with Rivers at LT and this transfer or someone else currently on the roster at LG. This isn't complicated. If Okunlola isn't going to start this yr, he needs to probably transfer out cause we are wasting a lot of money on him.

You get the best 5 that work the best together. Imo that does not require Rivers at LT at all. Maybe that's what we end up and Okunlola isn't starting...
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

You dont move a guy that started at LT a whole year for no apparent reason. Hes cemented at LT there isnt any one on roster that beat him out last year at that spot and i doubt it currently and what would be the benefit for HIM to move at this point.

Its obvious the only lineman they targeted in the portal other than carpenter has been a....LEFT GUARD
These are the same people that cried all offseason last year about Rivers being our LT and were terrified about it

Then you didn’t hear his name the entire season

Advertisement
Agreed. I'm not saying he CAN'T recruit. In fact, he actually does have an agreeable personality, I just think he is somewhat lazy. You can see it when he knocks down fewer than 20 HS/JuCo recruits every year.

Lane Train SHOULD be doing better. He has the wins. He has the offense-side stats. He is not a corny dork.
I think he’d have done well here if he had the NIL here. Plus he’s a good coach on the field.

Yea but thats already known that he can play multiple he has tape at guard already as well.

Okunla b4 injury TO ME needed work, i dont really caare how much they paid him he wasnt that strong at his base and definately didnt play the type of talent he is going against in practice in Mass.

Your ready to risk your qb being protected by that guy coming off injury early against UF?.

Okunla wasnt in the best 5 last year.If we dont bring in a guy he may be in the top 6 though. But once u step on campus all that rankings **** is out the window its what you can do. Im not playing with my LT position...and im not expecting a guy that wil be a rs freshman to think he has to transfer out im sure he will play alot thi s year if healthy

Advertisement
I think he’d have done well here if he had the NIL here. Plus he’s a good coach on the field.
Yeah, I think one of Mario’s greatest strengths is that the people with money believe in him. The money should always flow no matter who the coach is at the U. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about that any time soon.

Yea but thats already known that he can play multiple he has tape at guard already as well.

Okunla b4 injury TO ME needed work, i dont really caare how much they paid him he wasnt that strong at his base and definately didnt play the type of talent he is going against in practice in Mass.

Your ready to risk your qb being protected by that guy coming off injury early against UF?.

Okunla wasnt in the best 5 last year.If we dont bring in a guy he may be in the top 6 though. But once u step on campus all that rankings **** is out the window its what you can do. Im not playing with my LT position...and im not expecting a guy that wil be a rs freshman to think he has to transfer out im sure he will play alot thi s year if healthy
What is the difference between that and us risking Mauigoa as a true freshman? And please don’t try to use an argument about lt being more important than rt… What is the difference in us risking Rivers moving to OT where he hadnt played for 3yrs here?

it’s always a risk starting a guy for the first time. It is a fact that we are paying him a lot of money and that he has sky high potential. Given the first part, it doesn’t make sense for him to be receiving that much money to ride the bench 2 years. Now that doesn’t mean he should be given the starting job. But what I am saying is if we don’t land a transfer and Okunlola is the 5th best OL he is 100% starting at LT imo and Ricers sliding in to guard. Secondly us getting a portal lg would indicate Okunlola isn’t ready to start. Now maybe if you can say it is injury related we just say it is what it is… but if not what the **** are we paying him for? It’s a waste of money. Either you pay him less to not play or he leaves. That is what the result of us getting a portal guard is.

IMO we shouldn’t add a portal OL until after spring. Rivers is our starter. Whoever our 5th guy is will dictate which position Rivers plays. If it were a transfer Lg Rivers is playing Lt. if it were Kinsler or McCoy at Lg rivers is playing Lt, if it’s Onkunlola he is playing LT and Rivers is playing LG.

I still find it amazing that people in here believe Samson to start at LT over Rivers.

There's not one reason why he should and unless he comes back from injury playing at All-ACC-level, there shouldn't be a change.

It's the same arguments being exchanged and the same truth keeps being ignored however, so, there's no point in furthering this conversation.

Advertisement

Okunlola is all potential. He hasn't showed a thing since he got injured so early. Not sure why you think he automatically should be the starter....

I still find it amazing that people in here believe Samson to start at LT over Rivers.

There's not one reason why he should and unless he comes back from injury playing at All-ACC-level, there shouldn't be a change.

It's the same arguments being exchanged and the same truth keeps being ignored however, so, there's no point in furthering this conversation.
Agreed. Who plays LG? Do you think Bell gets a shot there? A dude that size should not be on the bench.

Agreed. Who plays LG? Do you think Bell gets a shot there? A dude that size should not be on the bench.
There is a risk playing Kinsler or McCoy, because they are unproven, hence why the Washington guy got a look.

Unless one of either Bell or Samson makes such a huge jump that people starting turning their heads, it's Kinsler or McCoy.

But for Bell or Samson to play at a level so high for Mario to make Rivers, a second-team All-ACC OT, to switch positions, seems like a very unrealistic thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back