Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dying on hills in this thread?

Sad Morgan Freeman GIF by Laff

Advertisement
Again, I have mad respect for @gogeta4 , he is absolutely one of the best on this board.

Having said that, I just respectfully disagree with his assessment of Lane Train as a recruiter (and I'm not taking "Portal" into account IN THE SAME WAY as traditional recruiting).

"Win-Loss Record" is not "recruiting". "Development" is not "recruiting".

You have accurately pointed out where Lane Train finished in the SEC for recruiting. Which is not great. So let's look at where he ranks across all of P5.

Current class - HS/JuCo - 21 (21 signees)
Current class - Portal - 1 (15 transfers)
Current class - Overall - 17

2023 class - HS/JuCo - 23 (16 signees)
2023 class - Portal - 2 (23 transfers)
2023 class - Overall - 17

2022 class - HS/JuCo - 27 (18 signees)
2022 class - Portal - 2 (18 transfers)
2022 class - Overall - 15

Hmmmm, I am detecting a pattern here...

First, I do not denigrate Lane Train's abilities in the Portal. But I've also shown, in prior threads, that Portal class rankings are more dependent on QUANTITY rather than quality. That is not to say Lane Train didn't get some good guys, only that the Portal rankings are very consistent, the largest classes have the highest rankings (which is NOT the same as the HS class rankings).

Second, over a three-year period, Lane Train has averaged FEWER THAN 20 HS/JuCo signees and has ranked outside the Top 20 every single year. Again, speaking solely to his abilities as a recruiter (traditional-sense), he is not that great, he is nothing to fear. Lane Train is not out there knocking down the best blue-chippers in the country year-in/year-out. He's just not.

Third, think about the ratios here. Ordinarily, most Miami fans say "your lifeblood is HS recruiting, and then you supplement with the Portal for areas where you missed or guys left the program early". I don't see any Miami fans arguing for "HS recruiting ONLY", but I do see a fair amount of Mopey Mopers trying to distort what people say to give the incorrect impression that some people (including our coaches) do not value the Portal or make any effort in the Portal. But Lane Train averages almost 20 Portal players PER YEAR. And only two things can possibly be true here. Either (a) Lane Train is not signing as many HS players as everyone else (and I know the Lane Train fanboys will argue that this is BY CHOICE), or (b) Lane Train has a higher than normal failure rate which NECESSITATES more Portal signees each and every year. Neither (a) nor (b) are ringing endorsements of Lane Train's recruiting abilities.

Finally, as has been described before, signing huge numbers of Portal players each year is not some indication that a coach is a "great recruiter". Portal signings involve different factors such as "wide-open depth chart" and "starter guarantees" that go beyond normal recruiting pitches. Most Portal players are making "business decisions" that may last as short as 6 months, they are NOT picking a spot where they will be spending "the next four or five years of their lives" like HS recruits do.

So, if some people want to act as if Lane Train is some "great recruiter" because he has 20 Portal spots to offer each year, that's for each individual to make his or her own decisions. But it's not supported by the facts.

Just in reference to the bolded.

Last off szn Lane Kiffin got Oklahoma States starting qb to transfer to ole miss and be a back up. lol

We just had half of the board turned into alcoholics and crashed the server when we landed a kid from SUNY Albany b4 we paid Cam Ward the same amoutn of money we send to Ukraine to suit up 1 more szn for us.

Hes not great recruiter but he is "good"....and the he CANT recruit thing is a myth. If he was at UM we would be top 10 in recruiting yearly honestly.

Advertisement
Are we really gonna lose our sht cause Kiffin got a transfer oline dude?
Tell Me we are depleted at the position and we went full prime 112 with 2 hall of famers and we lost.
Not saying the dude isn’t good. But if he was “that dude” our coaches would go full court press. Not gonna get into a bidding war with ole **** for a dude that in the coaches eyes might not be worth the price. Especially considering the dudes we have at the position.
Of course you stack chips but it’s not gona make or break our season imo if he goes to ole ****.

TOC is my guy. Met em in person.

We just disagree on Lane as a recruiter ( i think he would crush here recruiting) a tier below MC though..who if he wins 10+....guys are in trouble. He just has to get out of his own way on the field.

The portal additions are cool this year. CAM WARD is huge...

I do think they bs'd on the first safety grab as there were better there...and lost Colbie young and didnt replace when there were a tooooon of options....also stil havent seen an outside corner and the LG is a hole that this guy would have been planted in.
Kinda nitpicking but LG itself isn’t a hole. 5th Olineman is the “hole”. We have 3 100% starters - Mauigoa, Jalen Rivers, and Anez Cooper. And we added Carpenter who has 25 starts at center for Indiana.

But my point is Jalen Rivers has started basically the same number of games at LG as LT. Rivers is not locked in to LT at all. He’s locked in the lineup but not at LT.

Advertisement

Last off szn Lane Kiffin got Oklahoma States starting qb to transfer to ole miss and be a back up. lol

We just had half of the board turned into alcoholics and crashed the server when we landed a kid from SUNY Albany b4 we paid Cam Ward the same amoutn of money we send to Ukraine to suit up 1 more szn for us.

Hes not great recruiter but he is "good"....and the he CANT recruit thing is a myth. If he was at UM we would be top 10 in recruiting yearly honestly.

Agreed. I'm not saying he CAN'T recruit. In fact, he actually does have an agreeable personality, I just think he is somewhat lazy. You can see it when he knocks down fewer than 20 HS/JuCo recruits every year.

Lane Train SHOULD be doing better. He has the wins. He has the offense-side stats. He is not a corny dork.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Been saying that for the last couple of years

Kinda nitpicking but LG itself isn’t a hole. 5th Olineman is the “hole”. We have 3 100% starters - Mauigoa, Jalen Rivers, and Anez Cooper. And we added Carpenter who has 25 starts at center for Indiana.

But my point is Jalen Rivers has started basically the same number of games at LG as LT. Rivers is not locked in to LT at all. He’s locked in the lineup but not at LT.

You dont move a guy that started at LT a whole year for no apparent reason. Hes cemented at LT there isnt any one on roster that beat him out last year at that spot and i doubt it currently and what would be the benefit for HIM to move at this point.

Its obvious the only lineman they targeted in the portal other than carpenter has been a....LEFT GUARD

Agreed. I'm not saying he CAN'T recruit. In fact, he actually does have an agreeable personality, I just think he is somewhat lazy. You can see it when he knocks down fewer than 20 HS/JuCo recruits every year.

Lane Train SHOULD be doing better. He has the wins. He has the offense-side stats. He is not a corny dork.
I can agree to this.

Like i can see him just saying yea im not gonna chase that guy right there who is being a kid ill just replace in the portal. so we agree there he aint burning it up like MC or some others.

Lane is definitely not lazy on the trail. He targets a handful of kids that he goes all out for. It was one of the reasons he got Judkins. The guy was sitting in the rain and the only HC out there watching Judkins. He might not be as intense on the trail as Mario but who is, but he’s definitely not lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back