Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane knew he had to beat Mario with something we couldnt counter. The package deal with his UW teammates was a **** good play by Lane. Sometimes you just tip your cap and keep it moving..McCoy, Bell and Kinsler have a new lease on life. Hoping they take advantage of it. All we need is one of them to step up.
Top 10 team starting next year by most accounts with a pretty big haul on defense in the portal and always a solid offense....not hard to sell that for a one year deal to be honest. We will be fine with or without him

Advertisement
Samson’s a tackle but also he got hurt early in camp and was unavailable the entire season. Unfortunate but hard to put a lot of trust in him until he makes it to field for spring.
Not exactly true. He played in 3 games but was hurt after the Temple game.

Not exactly true. He played in 3 games but was hurt after the Temple game.
Fair I was going off of memory but apparently it doesn’t work as good for my memory as it does for my glaucoma….

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

I'm not sure if this is the case, but that calendar LOOKS LIKE Ole Miss may be on the "quarters" system. Usually when you see a spring session that starts in late Jan/early Feb, it's a school on Quarters, not Semesters.
Or even trimesters

Advertisement
Yes, but Jalen Rivers is a guaranteed starter whether it be LT, LG, or Center. Now many it’s possible the center guy we got isn’t it in which case you put Rivers at Center, this Washington dude at LG, or Okunlola at LT. But there is zero chance that us getting this Washington dude isn’t a direct indication Okunlola isn’t starting imo.

Not true. And I'm not indicating that Okunlola is penciled in as the starter and getting all the playing time, just that he WOULD play OT this year, and that the guy from Washington was coming in as an OG. No need to get crazy with analyzing every position on the line.

Not true. And I'm not indicating that Okunlola is penciled in as the starter and getting all the playing time, just that he WOULD play OT this year, and that the guy from Washington was coming in as an OG. No need to get crazy with analyzing every position on the line.
… well there are only 5 OLine spots, and we have 3 returning starters. Logic dictates adding 1 Transfer Center and 1 Transfer OG leaves us with 0 starting spots remaining unless Okunlola is going to start over 1 of the transfers (possible) or returning starters (extremely u likely)… which means we either A) Don’t trust Okunlola or B)Don’t trust one of our Transfer additions that is absolutely coming here expecting to start…

I mean that’s just what bringing in a portal Guard who expects to start means. I’d say out of all these 6 names, the Center and Okunlola would be guys number 5 and 6 in order. If Okunlola were a starter it’d be Rivers at Center, if the Center guy starts Okunlola isn’t starting and Rivers is at LT. Thats how I see this IF we landed a portal starting LG

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was telling people before the game I’m from Jersey that ain’t that same Rutgers. I said it weeks before the game and us missing mad dudes and having no qb I really didn’t even care about the game. I was already onto next season and recruiting more depth. That game didn’t mean anything especially with the way the roster was for that particular game. They were going to key in on Bain and no one else was going to do anything, and they were going to stack the box and tell the qb to beat us. Vegas had it right
Don’t try to reason with them. They are the same ones who wrote 10 page novels about during the summer. The history and data says we won’t sign a top 5 class….you know how that turned out

We literally played 5 d lineman the whole game. And 2 of them were true freshman. All they did was run. If our d line for them season plays they wouldn’t have ran for much at all. I guess we weren’t one of the best run defenses in the country during the season……

Lane finished with recruiting classes ranked 11th, 10th and 12th in the SEC over the last 3 years! He's been out recruited by Arkansas, Miss St. and South Carolina within his own conference, there is NO question if he isn't a bad recruiter he certainly has bad recruiting results. He is proven to be a lazy recruiter that has not produced any top classes, and he like transfer portal because he doesn't have to get out on the road when he's hungover. He's investing everything he has into one last year to get him out of Mississippi, I bet he jumps for UCLA at the end of the year.

Again, I have mad respect for @gogeta4 , he is absolutely one of the best on this board.

Having said that, I just respectfully disagree with his assessment of Lane Train as a recruiter (and I'm not taking "Portal" into account IN THE SAME WAY as traditional recruiting).

"Win-Loss Record" is not "recruiting". "Development" is not "recruiting".

You have accurately pointed out where Lane Train finished in the SEC for recruiting. Which is not great. So let's look at where he ranks across all of P5.

Current class - HS/JuCo - 21 (21 signees)
Current class - Portal - 1 (15 transfers)
Current class - Overall - 17

2023 class - HS/JuCo - 23 (16 signees)
2023 class - Portal - 2 (23 transfers)
2023 class - Overall - 17

2022 class - HS/JuCo - 27 (18 signees)
2022 class - Portal - 2 (18 transfers)
2022 class - Overall - 15

Hmmmm, I am detecting a pattern here...

First, I do not denigrate Lane Train's abilities in the Portal. But I've also shown, in prior threads, that Portal class rankings are more dependent on QUANTITY rather than quality. That is not to say Lane Train didn't get some good guys, only that the Portal rankings are very consistent, the largest classes have the highest rankings (which is NOT the same as the HS class rankings).

Second, over a three-year period, Lane Train has averaged FEWER THAN 20 HS/JuCo signees and has ranked outside the Top 20 every single year. Again, speaking solely to his abilities as a recruiter (traditional-sense), he is not that great, he is nothing to fear. Lane Train is not out there knocking down the best blue-chippers in the country year-in/year-out. He's just not.

Third, think about the ratios here. Ordinarily, most Miami fans say "your lifeblood is HS recruiting, and then you supplement with the Portal for areas where you missed or guys left the program early". I don't see any Miami fans arguing for "HS recruiting ONLY", but I do see a fair amount of Mopey Mopers trying to distort what people say to give the incorrect impression that some people (including our coaches) do not value the Portal or make any effort in the Portal. But Lane Train averages almost 20 Portal players PER YEAR. And only two things can possibly be true here. Either (a) Lane Train is not signing as many HS players as everyone else (and I know the Lane Train fanboys will argue that this is BY CHOICE), or (b) Lane Train has a higher than normal failure rate which NECESSITATES more Portal signees each and every year. Neither (a) nor (b) are ringing endorsements of Lane Train's recruiting abilities.

Finally, as has been described before, signing huge numbers of Portal players each year is not some indication that a coach is a "great recruiter". Portal signings involve different factors such as "wide-open depth chart" and "starter guarantees" that go beyond normal recruiting pitches. Most Portal players are making "business decisions" that may last as short as 6 months, they are NOT picking a spot where they will be spending "the next four or five years of their lives" like HS recruits do.

So, if some people want to act as if Lane Train is some "great recruiter" because he has 20 Portal spots to offer each year, that's for each individual to make his or her own decisions. But it's not supported by the facts.

Don’t try to reason with them. They are the same ones who wrote 10 page novels about during the summer. The history and data says we won’t sign a top 5 class….you know how that turned out

We literally played 5 d lineman the whole game. And 2 of them were true freshman. All they did was run. If our d line for them season plays they wouldn’t have ran for much at all. I guess we weren’t one of the best run defenses in the country during the season……
Yea I’m done I’m over here debating with people that won’t admit anything. I gladly take my L’s and admit when I’m wrong or if someone brings up good points. No ego no pride nada, thing is they said no you can’t sign a top class then we do. Then no it’s cause NIL now they stay pushing goalposts back when people openly say Mario doesn’t give up. Like what more do people want? I’m done I can’t force them, let them believe what they want.

Advertisement
Lane finished with recruiting classes ranked 11th, 10th and 12th in the SEC over the last 3 years! He's been out recruited by Arkansas, Miss St. and South Carolina within his own conference, there is NO question if he isn't a bad recruiter he certainly has bad recruiting results. He is proven to be a lazy recruiter that has not produced any top classes, and he like transfer portal because he doesn't have to get out on the road when he's hungover. He's investing everything he has into one last year to get him out of Mississippi, I bet he jumps for UCLA at the end of the year.
AGAIN give me his portal results/rankings from those 3 years Please.

Dude stated 2-3 years ago HOW he would play recruiting. Great he got out recruited by those 3 and what has those classes got those 3 schools?.

I mean if he wins 10+ again this year i dont think he would still be sitting in the Ole Miss because that would essentially be a ton of winning that they havent seen **** he is already breaking records there.

UCLA might not be the gig he may want some more florida putang...so be careful what you wish for lol

Advertisement
Again, I have mad respect for @gogeta4 , he is absolutely one of the best on this board.

Having said that, I just respectfully disagree with his assessment of Lane Train as a recruiter (and I'm not taking "Portal" into account IN THE SAME WAY as traditional recruiting).

"Win-Loss Record" is not "recruiting". "Development" is not "recruiting".

You have accurately pointed out where Lane Train finished in the SEC for recruiting. Which is not great. So let's look at where he ranks across all of P5.

Current class - HS/JuCo - 21 (21 signees)
Current class - Portal - 1 (15 transfers)
Current class - Overall - 17

2023 class - HS/JuCo - 23 (16 signees)
2023 class - Portal - 2 (23 transfers)
2023 class - Overall - 17

2022 class - HS/JuCo - 27 (18 signees)
2022 class - Portal - 2 (18 transfers)
2022 class - Overall - 15

Hmmmm, I am detecting a pattern here...

First, I do not denigrate Lane Train's abilities in the Portal. But I've also shown, in prior threads, that Portal class rankings are more dependent on QUANTITY rather than quality. That is not to say Lane Train didn't get some good guys, only that the Portal rankings are very consistent, the largest classes have the highest rankings (which is NOT the same as the HS class rankings).

Second, over a three-year period, Lane Train has averaged FEWER THAN 20 HS/JuCo signees and has ranked outside the Top 20 every single year. Again, speaking solely to his abilities as a recruiter (traditional-sense), he is not that great, he is nothing to fear. Lane Train is not out there knocking down the best blue-chippers in the country year-in/year-out. He's just not.

Third, think about the ratios here. Ordinarily, most Miami fans say "your lifeblood is HS recruiting, and then you supplement with the Portal for areas where you missed or guys left the program early". I don't see any Miami fans arguing for "HS recruiting ONLY", but I do see a fair amount of Mopey Mopers trying to distort what people say to give the incorrect impression that some people (including our coaches) do not value the Portal or make any effort in the Portal. But Lane Train averages almost 20 Portal players PER YEAR. And only two things can possibly be true here. Either (a) Lane Train is not signing as many HS players as everyone else (and I know the Lane Train fanboys will argue that this is BY CHOICE), or (b) Lane Train has a higher than normal failure rate which NECESSITATES more Portal signees each and every year. Neither (a) nor (b) are ringing endorsements of Lane Train's recruiting abilities.

Finally, as has been described before, signing huge numbers of Portal players each year is not some indication that a coach is a "great recruiter". Portal signings involve different factors such as "wide-open depth chart" and "starter guarantees" that go beyond normal recruiting pitches. Most Portal players are making "business decisions" that may last as short as 6 months, they are NOT picking a spot where they will be spending "the next four or five years of their lives" like HS recruits do.

So, if some people want to act as if Lane Train is some "great recruiter" because he has 20 Portal spots to offer each year, that's for each individual to make his or her own decisions. But it's not supported by the facts.

TOC is my guy. Met em in person.

We just disagree on Lane as a recruiter ( i think he would crush here recruiting) a tier below MC though..who if he wins 10+....guys are in trouble. He just has to get out of his own way on the field.

The portal additions are cool this year. CAM WARD is huge...

I do think they bs'd on the first safety grab as there were better there...and lost Colbie young and didnt replace when there were a tooooon of options....also stil havent seen an outside corner and the LG is a hole that this guy would have been planted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back