Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im more worried about Safeties than CB rn and we agree CB acquisition leaves a lot to be desired.

But we have literal question marks at Safety other than Savion no one has played extended college game snaps as true full time safeties.

Rn we just have Savion, Jaden Harris, and Zaquan.

Whats your opinion on the Powell guy we got? You like him making the switch to the safety position? He is not a willing tackler and when he does he's very meh. He can cover slot guys solid though but that was mostly when he was playing the "husky" position which is just the nickle.
Powell was an outstanding pick up.

I don't place a high premium on Tackling with DB's, coverage is what's first & foremost important & he's a very good in Coverage.

Him playing as a Nickel is exactly what the Defense needed, we play the majority of our snaps in Nickel & having a transitional DB that can cover the Slot, the TE or an Outside WR in certain sets will be pivotal to the overall Defense.

Advertisement
We need to recruit DB better out of high school. We lost two NFL safeties and replaced them with serviceable guys, and we were bad at CB last season and didn’t really upgrade.

We’re taking a step forward this year almost everywhere on the field but not at DB, we’re taking a step back it is what it is.

Dude - I posted before. Ole Miss has that old colonial cotton/tobacco money.

There pockets are plenty deep just finally getting everyone on board.

I gotcha. I know the SEC has an advantage over us with the sheer volume of alumni. I was just thinking they'd have to be dropping a fortune for what they're doing this off season. I'm assuming they are going all in to strike while the iron is hot and Saban is gone.

We need to recruit DB better out of high school. We lost two NFL safeties and replaced them with serviceable guys, and we were bad at CB last season and didn’t really upgrade.

We’re taking a step forward this year almost everywhere on the field but not at DB, we’re taking a step back it is what it is.

Patterson and Mack are good takes to me. Guidry loves Day. Damari looks to be quality, coaches seem to like Staffird and Harrell. So I think we’re course correcting, we just have to keep doing it every class.

Those NFL safeties freelanced way too much. I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up having a better DB set overall in 2024 vs 2023. That GT game wasn’t just on Mario and Fletcher. Our AA safety jumped twice and mistimed both (not to mention Couch looking foolish too). And how many times has JW been out of position or misfire on a shoulder “tackle” only to see the ball carrier sprinting free downfield?

I’m optimistic Guidry gets this right. We definitely need a CB1 but he’s got enough pieces to play at a high level regardless, especially with our pass rush and improved front seven.

Advertisement
I gotcha. I know the SEC has an advantage over us with the sheer volume of alumni. I was just thinking they'd have to be dropping a fortune for what they're doing this off season. I'm assuming they are going all in to strike while the iron is hot and Saban is gone.
They smell blood in the water. The question is if Kiffin can pull it off. Expectations are playoffs or bust.

Kiffin is a talented offensive mind but has always struggled when the pressure has been ratcheted up.

He has no excuses. I calling it first “an epic fail “for one reason or another.

Advertisement
I just don’t see Ole Miss keeping up with UTX and TAMU or even LSU. A tire king vs oil and gas money?

The teams that should be dominating the sport based on NIL and location are Miami, USC, Georgia, Taint, UTX, maybe ND due to its hooks into catholic high schools but that ship may have sailed. Ole ****? Nah…

like was stated thats not the only Ole Miss mega doner hes just may be the most visible.
Lets be honest Miami is a small private school, actually impressed with how well Miami has been able to keep up this far with all these big mega state schools
around the country with 3 & 4x the Alumni

Are we confusing Dunlap with Dunlop? Just thinking out loud without my coffee…

like was stated thats not the only Ole Miss mega doner hes just may be the most visible.
Lets be honest Miami is a small private school, actually impressed with how well Miami has been able to keep up this far with all these big mega state schools
around the country with 3 & 4x the Alumni

I’ve heard that argument for decades and definitely get it. But the counter argument is that only a few committed donors can change the trajectory very quickly. And when you look at who has dominated the endowment rankings it’s all been small private schools. The question to me is more whether or not Miami’s backers want to give to a football program or towards academics?

Advertisement
I'd 100% have Samson at LT and Jalen Rivers at LG. If we didn't get the transfer Center, I'd have Rivers at Center, Samson at LT, and next man up at LG.
We want Samson to step up and earn that LT spot, cause he'd be our guy there for 2 seasons. And I'd assume we are paying him an Francis the most. You want them at the important positions. Top OTs and a smart athletic Center are how you have an elite OLine.
Where does the Juco Giant fit in?

I understand. He is going through the process right now. Comparing both scenarios and then going to make the best decision for him and his future. Just stay tuned. By tomorrow I think we will know.
Might recommend to Nate that he talks to Penei about which OL Coachh he should work with this coming year.

Advertisement
Yes, I am close to this recruitment. I have been a viewer for years, but never as an "insider", that's why I have never posted.
Tell Pulp Fiction GIF

Lol at people wondering where Ole Miss, where the cost of living is zero and most of the wealth has been passed down for 400 years on the backs of slavery then begetting entitlement and being born on third base after slavery, suddenly has been able to get the money. They just finally decided to spend some of their money, since they basically live rent free and their school finally got serious about it.

It’s a different and far uglier historical version then when Miami was claiming to be poor when it was more of a choice of not supporting the program.

Last edited:
Ole Miss is bringing in the other OG from Washington - hopefully good news for us
I understand. He is going through the process right now. Comparing both scenarios and then going to make the best decision for him and his future. Just stay tuned. By tomorrow I think we will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back