Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
How are we looking here? Did he make it to visit Ole Miss?
Appreciate Love You GIF by The Chi

Advertisement
I like this tweet from Pate as I think in the near future everyone is going to look back on this and say wtf were they thinking; we are talking about schools that are going to be getting close to $100M a year in just TV revenue and they are asking for fans to donate money.

Now, he is talking about regular folks being asked to donate which is even more wtf, but still silly that you need anyone to donate regardless of how much money they have. All the more reason for us and any other serious schools to get into a league that will pay more for TV.

Just responding to your post, I’m not sure if anybody else did because I haven’t read through everything, but schools cannot donate money to NIL. There can’t be any connection between school money and NIL money, that **** will get you in major hot water with the NCAA, there are enough ways to get players the money without having to have school funds mixed up into it. It’s just not allowed and it’s not even part of the discussion.

You know this already I’m sure, and yes, it’s ****ed up that schools with billions of dollars of revenue from sports, can’t kick in, it just seems wrong with people being asked to kick in money, but unless they change the rules, it has to be boosters and the average fan. At least for now. I can tell you that at Miami, this is mostly booster driven, I wouldn’t have the exact exact number, but only a small percentage of NIL funds at our school comes from Joe average fan.

Just responding to your post, I’m not sure if anybody else did because I haven’t read through everything, but schools cannot donate money to NIL. There can’t be any connection between school money and NIL money, that **** will get you in major hot water with the NCAA, there are enough ways to get players the money without having to have school funds mixed up into it. It’s just not allowed and it’s not even part of the discussion.

You know this already I’m sure, and yes, it’s ****ed up that schools with billions of dollars of revenue from sports, can’t kick in, it just seems wrong with people being asked to kick in money, but unless they change the rules, it has to be boosters and the average fan. At least for now. I can tell you that at Miami, this is mostly booster driven, I wouldn’t have the exact exact number, but only a small percentage of NIL funds at our school comes from Joe average fan.
Yeah... I totally get why the schools have to request the money, I am just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Could you imagine if the the NFL said to the owners the only way their players could be paid was if a 3rd party paid them w/o the owner sharing any revenue with them or the players? And yeah, this is not the NFL and we are going to say it's about it's not all about the money and that they are student athletes, but it's kinda hard to make that argument as the conferences are tearing each other apart so they get more TV dollars... money that they then can't share with the players.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah... I totally get why the schools have to request the money, I am just laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Could you imagine if the the NFL said to the owners the only way their players could be paid was if a 3rd party paid them w/o the owner sharing any revenue with them or the players? And yeah, this is not the NFL and we are going to say it's about it's not all about the money and that they are student athletes, but it's kinda hard to make that argument as the conferences are tear each other so they get more TV dollars... money that they then can't share with the players.

Maybe, at some point, they figure out a way where that money can be shared, even only a tiny fraction would be a lot.

What’s funny is, right now, both of our in-state rivals are in various forms of trouble with the NCAA due to NIL. I can’t predict the future, but I do think our people figured this **** out, and are playing by the rules. There’s a lot you can do just playing within the rules, as long as you have outside people willing to open their wallets.

That was always my biggest complaint with us in football in the past, not counting the last couple of years of course, is that we had little help from boosters, and spent way less than average internal money for facilities improvement - we were cheap as ****. Remember Rick kicking in $1 million. That should never have to be.

That’s why I’m most optimistic about the future of the program, because that has changed. Irrespective of whether you think Mario is the answer or not, it’s hard to go back on these commitments. I think the appetite is there to continue to invest in the program, not just internally with facilities, and so forth, but externally with boosters. At least I hope so.

You really think schools aren’t finding ways to utilize some school $$ to funnel through new team loving “boosters” who happened upon some cash and want nothing more than to blow it on his favorite program???

Advertisement
Maybe, at some point, they figure out a way where that money can be shared, even only a tiny fraction would be a lot.

What’s funny is, right now, both of our in-state rivals are in various forms of trouble with the NCAA due to NIL. I can’t predict the future, but I do think our people figured this **** out, and are playing by the rules. There’s a lot you can do just playing within the rules, as long as you have outside people willing to open their wallets.

That was always my biggest complaint with us in football in the past, not counting the last couple of years of course, is that we had little help from boosters, and spent way less than average internal money for facilities improvement - we were cheap as ****. Remember Rick kicking in $1 million. That should never have to be.

That’s why I’m most optimistic about the future of the program, because that has changed. Irrespective of whether you think Mario is the answer or not, it’s hard to go back on these commitments. I think the appetite is there to continue to invest in the program, not just internally with facilities, and so forth, but externally with boosters. At least I hope so.
I think the opposite. Mario is making generational money and he should be contributing to the facilities in a major way.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back