was attendance as bad as it looked on TV

Official attendance was listed at 53,580 which appeared accurate from my vantage point at the game (probably peaked late in the first quarter). Tailgating numbers were strong as well - any time you fill parking into the back fenced lot next to the Turnpike exit, it's a far-above-average attendance for UM.

The main issue was the heat - if you walked out into concessions/shaded area, there were literally THOUSANDS of people sitting against walls or just standing around. I would say at least 30% of the upper deck attendance was out of there seats and under shaded at any one time. Also, a good number of west-side fans moved to the east side of the stadium which created some big holes in hotter areas.

By the time the game cooled down in the third quarter, a good number of both UM and Nebraska fans had left the game.

Advertisement
Yes. The stadium was half empty. I was surprised. Even for the U in 2015 playing at Ghey Life Stadium....that was bad turnout smh

Lots of empty seats but many of them were in the shade by concessions and bathrooms. About 50 people moved from my sectio around the 20 yard line to the end zone section 306 to be in the shade.

Not enough cheeseburgers in the seats.

"Be like a cheeseburger," says Fraulden The Nincompoop.

Advertisement
We can have these threads after every home game if we want to gauge the emotional state of the fanbase but as Alfredo likes to say, "at the end of the day"......the amount of upper level seats sold or sat in sadly doesn't make any difference to this program. In ALL of our years of hearing financial excuses from Hecht, have you ever heard them have the cojones to cite ticket sales or actual attendance as a factor in anything? It's always about "one major gift" or "one large contribution" when they finally want to do something. We like to think we matter and that our financial support matters but in the end this program only cares about tv/conference/shoe company money and a small contingent of big donors and couldn't care less if they have to tarp off seats for the next decade plus.

Last edited:
Official attendance was listed at 53,580 which appeared accurate from my vantage point at the game (probably peaked late in the first quarter). Tailgating numbers were strong as well - any time you fill parking into the back fenced lot next to the Turnpike exit, it's a far-above-average attendance for UM.

The main issue was the heat - if you walked out into concessions/shaded area, there were literally THOUSANDS of people sitting against walls or just standing around. I would say at least 30% of the upper deck attendance was out of there seats and under shaded at any one time. Also, a good number of west-side fans moved to the east side of the stadium which created some big holes in hotter areas.

By the time the game cooled down in the third quarter, a good number of both UM and Nebraska fans had left the game.

I was in the bluelot 12 knockin ni66az the fvck out.

I didn't see you there old sport. Perhaps next foray we will have the opportunity to air our grievances?

We can have these threads after every home game if we want to gauge the emotional state of the fanbase but as Alfredo likes to say, "at the end of the day"......the amount of upper level seats sold or sat in sadly doesn't make any difference to this program. In ALL of our years of hearing financial excuses from Hecht, have you ever heard them have the cojones to cite ticket sales or actual attendance as a factor in anything? It's always about "one major gift" or "one large contribution" when they finally want to do something. We like to think we matter and that our financial support matters but in the end this program only cares about tv/conference/shoe company money and a small contingent of big donors and couldn't care less if they have to tarp off seats for the next decade plus.

Too bad the TV money will dry up too if we continue sucking

Too bad the TV money will dry up too if we continue sucking

The tv money is tied into the conference money so us sucking really doesn't have a direct effect on it as tv deals skyrocket across the board. Even so, we still always draw good tv ratings nationally for "big" games even after being mediocre for a decade. Again, this program is almost immune from results based accountability when it comes to meeting the financial return that the school is content with.

Advertisement
******* people went BACK to tailgate during the game? WTF am I missing about tailgating in 200 degree heat that is so irresistible.

Real talk, fans are not driving 40 minutes to watch a bum product. This ain't Lincoln, Columbus, Eugene, Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa, or Tallahassee where there ain't ish to do so y not go watch a good ole ball game. This is So Fla...a premier area and a huge tourist attraction. Plenty to do there. If the product is cheap, ain't no body going to spend their weekends going cross town to support it.

If we had a stadium w/in distance of the heart of the fan base, those numbers would increase, regardless of the product.

Living not to far from the LA Coliseum years back, wasn't nobody driving in traffic to watch the Trojans in the 90's; there was too much to do. But, when they became hot under Carroll, the Coliseum was jumping. Same w the Bruins...ain't nobody driving 1 1/2hrs to watch a **** poor product in a metropolitan city. Now that they're good, the Rose Bowl pops.

So no, Miami don't have a poor fan base; I've been to at least one Miami game every year since 1998 (when I became of age to do that) and stopped in 2009 and have not gone since Golden has been at the helm as coach. I'm not spending my $ to fly into town then drive some distance to support a product that even our BOT seems disinterested in. I can love them from a distance and I think most fans feel that way now.

Advertisement
Welcome to SLS. image.jpg

Advertisement
Back