Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Advertisement
idk

he got hired 2014 and it took him 4 years to "figure it out"

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2014: 14 points per game (john wolford)
2015: 17 points per game (john wolford)
2016: 20 points per game (john wolford)
2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)
2018: 33 points per game (sam hartman)
2019: 32 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2020: 36 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2021: 41 points per game (sam hartman)
2022: 36 points per game (sam hartman)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?
It’s not coincidence that he’s shopping himself with Hartman out of the picture now.

Advertisement
idk

he got hired 2014 and it took him 4 years to "figure it out"

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2014: 14 points per game (john wolford)
2015: 17 points per game (john wolford)
2016: 20 points per game (john wolford)
2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)
2018: 33 points per game (sam hartman)
2019: 32 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2020: 36 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2021: 41 points per game (sam hartman)
2022: 36 points per game (sam hartman)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?

Yep, like I said...it would take a while. The WF and Ruggerio people are seeing now, it took years for them to become that. This fanbase is the most instant gratification fanbase in America, regardless of sport. Hypothetically, if it takes us 4 years to average 35ppg, no one here would sign off on that and they are lying if they say they would.

I'm more "concerned" with the timing it would take. As one poster mentioned, long term move, I think it'd be very good. Ruggerio has a tremendous feel for the game, and they have been an efficient bunch doing more with less personnel wise. I am just a fan of simplicity. Simplicity works, especially with the athletes we have at skill. I feel like the mesh system wouldn't really pay dividends this year and we would take at least a year before we are really clicking on all cylinders. That's all. But again, this could all be premature so I'll wait until anything is official OC wise before really diving into it.

In the video I posted it mentions that clawson and ruggiero apparently built their offense based on what they had to work with at WF and that came in the form of the mesh system we see now. If he came here there's no guarantee he would be running the same system

123641275386123.jpg

In the video I posted it mentions that clawson and ruggiero apparently built their offense based on what they had to work with at WF and that came in the form of the mesh system we see now. If he came here there's no guarantee he would be running the same system

View attachment 225165

I feel you, and that all sounds good, but I'm a scorned battered husband to the, "We will adjust to our personnel" syndrome. We cannot strike out on this hire and he would be a risk IMO.

Advertisement
Yep, like I said...it would take a while. The WF and Ruggerio people are seeing now, it took years for them to become that. This fanbase is the most instant gratification fanbase in America, regardless of sport. Hypothetically, if it takes us 4 years to average 35ppg, no one here would sign off on that and they are lying if they say they would.
not only did it take time, the offense regressed with him for the first two years and didn't even match the ppg from the previous OC until year 3

I suspect if he didn't have 2 straight nfl qb's this dude would be looking for a job

I feel you, and that all sounds good, but I'm a scorned battered husband to the, "We will adjust to our personnel" syndrome. We cannot strike out on this hire and he would be a risk IMO.
I’m a big Ruggiero fan but you’re also spot on

He’s got a long history of helping QBs even before Wake so I like that for our roster/room

He could be very successful here but I wouldn’t call it a homerun at this point

Yeah i don't believe that line anymore from anyone, literally every coach ever says that

Advertisement
not only did it take time, the offense regressed with him for the first two years and didn't even match the ppg from the previous OC until year 3

I suspect if he didn't have 2 straight nfl qb's this dude would be looking for a job
Maybe the offense regressed because when the new HC Clawson was hired and Clawson brought Ruggiero along from Bowling Green the Wake personnel didn't fit what they wanted run. Players leaving the program, new players coming. All the regular things that happen with a coaching change.

So the two mid 3-star QBs were just NFL prospects who fell into his lap? He did enough with Jamie Newman that people thought Newman was potentially a first round pick before he flamed out at UGA. Thats three QB he did well with

Our biggest problem wouldn't be Ruggiero credentials or supposed complex system. It would be we have a worse WR room than Wake at this point. We don't have guys who have proven they can get open against man which is what Ruggiero schemes up.

Doesn't look that complex besides the mesh eye candy

Last edited:
Advertisement
he's put up great numbers and obviously knows the ACC, which is very important, but why hasn't he gotten picked up by someone else once he started having success?

Advertisement
Back