Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Advertisement
"Since the start of the 2017 season, Wake Forest’s 185 touchdown passes are the most of any school in the ACC and that total ranks tied for seventh nationally during that span. Additionally during that span, the Deacs 333 total touchdowns are the second-most in the ACC behind Clemson and rank 12th nationally.

Those touchdowns have led Wake Forest to total 2,667 points over the past six seasons and average 35.6 ppg. Both those marks rank second in the ACC behind Clemson as well, respectively. All the totals are the most of any six-year period in school history."

Advertisement
Specifically in 2021, Wake Forest scored a program-best 574 points and averaged a school-record 41.0 ppg. That point total ranks 43rd in modern FBS history and the fourth-most in ACC history. Additionally, Wake Forest became just the 20th ACC team in the college football modern era (Post-WWII) to cross over the milestone of 500 points scored in a single season. Individually, the Deacons topped 35 points in a game 12 times during the 2021 campaign. In the College Football Playoff Era, Wake Forest was one of seven teams (2014 Oregon, 2018 Alabama, 2018 Oklahoma, 2019 Alabama, 2019 LSU, 2020 Alabama) to accomplish that feat.

Advertisement
I didn't know much about Ruggiero but he's put up some good numbers at Wake Forest of all places and has been calling plays for a long time. It's not just a fluke..he's been consistently putting up top offensive numbers at Wake Forest with what we know is lower rated talent.

idk

he got hired 2014 and it took him 4 years to "figure it out"

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2014: 14 points per game (john wolford)
2015: 17 points per game (john wolford)
2016: 20 points per game (john wolford)
2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)
2018: 33 points per game (sam hartman)
2019: 32 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2020: 36 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2021: 41 points per game (sam hartman)
2022: 36 points per game (sam hartman)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?

Advertisement
down for an RPO offense.

slow mesh requires offensive lineman to hold blocks, and great execution by everyone else. two things we suck at.
Exactly. That ish takes years of continuity and work to gel and become well oiled. We don’t have years, we need an instant shot in the arm with the O. It isn’t hard …

Not disagreeing, but tell me what I'm missing here. Mario is already crushing OL recruiting, and WF doesn't recruit better than 3-star linemen. How could he be successful at WF but not here?

I don't like the lack of consensus on Ruggiero.

I know we'll never have everybody agree but there's some smart guys on here that wouldn't be crazy about him.

Advertisement
Not disagreeing, but tell me what I'm missing here. Mario is already crushing OL recruiting, and WF doesn't recruit better than 3-star linemen. How could he be successful at WF but not here?

I'm more "concerned" with the timing it would take. As one poster mentioned, long term move, I think it'd be very good. Ruggerio has a tremendous feel for the game, and they have been an efficient bunch doing more with less personnel wise. I am just a fan of simplicity. Simplicity works, especially with the athletes we have at skill. I feel like the mesh system wouldn't really pay dividends this year and we would take at least a year before we are really clicking on all cylinders. That's all. But again, this could all be premature so I'll wait until anything is official OC wise before really diving into it.

Advertisement
Back