Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Understatement. Sounds like another complex system. Deep sigh, I'll wait until we actually hire someone before going off the deep end lol.
I will add that WF (under Grobe to the present) has aggressively shirted Freshmen and relies on a model of an experienced starting offense.

It's weird that I am getting nervous, because I called for Ruggiero in the past. I'm just at a point where it has to be a guy who has shown the ability to adapt to personnel. The way to judge that is serious productivity at very different programs.

Advertisement
Specifically in 2021, Wake Forest scored a program-best 574 points and averaged a school-record 41.0 ppg. That point total ranks 43rd in modern FBS history and the fourth-most in ACC history. Additionally, Wake Forest became just the 20th ACC team in the college football modern era (Post-WWII) to cross over the milestone of 500 points scored in a single season. Individually, the Deacons topped 35 points in a game 12 times during the 2021 campaign. In the College Football Playoff Era, Wake Forest was one of seven teams (2014 Oregon, 2018 Alabama, 2018 Oklahoma, 2019 Alabama, 2019 LSU, 2020 Alabama) to accomplish that feat.
But Wake's QB has been there for years. Took him time to be good in the system

I will add that WF (under Grobe to the present) has aggressively shirted Freshmen and relies on a model of an experienced starting offense.

It's weird that I am getting nervous, because I called for Ruggiero in the past. I'm just at a point where it has to be a guy who has shown the ability to adapt to personnel. The way to judge that is serious productivity at very different programs.
This is a good point that also potentially scares me; I understand that method works well but are the types of players Miami needs to eventually get to where we want to be, the type that are going to be patient and wait their turn?

Advertisement
idk

he got hired 2014 and it took him 4 years to "figure it out"

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2014: 14 points per game (john wolford)
2015: 17 points per game (john wolford)
2016: 20 points per game (john wolford)
2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)
2018: 33 points per game (sam hartman)
2019: 32 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2020: 36 poitns per game (sam hartman)
2021: 41 points per game (sam hartman)
2022: 36 points per game (sam hartman)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?
Um. Turned out 2 NFL QB's and offenses that averaged 35+ at wake forrest and you framed these as negatives lol?

he's put up great numbers and obviously knows the ACC, which is very important, but why hasn't he gotten picked up by someone else once he started having success?
Picked up? He’s been with Clawson for a long time. WF and Bowling Green. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a number of opportunities offered, and declined. Maybe he didn’t feel they were the right one.

Until possibly now.

We’ll see.

Last edited:
In the video I posted it mentions that clawson and ruggiero apparently built their offense based on what they had to work with at WF and that came in the form of the mesh system we see now. If he came here there's no guarantee he would be running the same system

View attachment 225165
Playing a system that fits your players... what kind of bat**** craziness is this?

Advertisement
Advertisement
But Wake's QB has been there for years. Took him time to be good in the system

He had a good year prior to Hartman. But you can say " he took time to be good " about most coaches. As long as he comes as a seasoned vet and not for on the job training that should be good enough.

idk

I know the roster is bleh but he's had an nfl qb (first john wolford for his first 4 years, sam hartman for the last 5)

but they scored:

2017: 35 points per game (john wolford - crazy senior year that propelled him to the nfl)

no doubt he's done well... but what will WF look like next year without hartman if Ruggiero stays?

Actually a staffer was leaking Their offense to opponents from 2014-2016. In 2017 he invented slow mesh rpo to combat that and it’s taken off

Advertisement
idk

but they scored:

No.

Wake Forest had to change their entire offense because of the Wakeyleaks scandal.

The scandal broke in Dec 2016.

They created and installed the slow mesh prior to 2017.

Advertisement
Back