Rumor Warren Ruggiero?

Advertisement
I will add that WF (under Grobe to the present) has aggressively shirted Freshmen and relies on a model of an experienced starting offense.

It's weird that I am getting nervous, because I called for Ruggiero in the past. I'm just at a point where it has to be a guy who has shown the ability to adapt to personnel. The way to judge that is serious productivity at very different programs.
Yeah. That's how we end up with oldest guys on the roster getting pt (like a 28 year old transfer TE) instead of the best 11 regardless of age. Hopefully it wouldn't be the case though.

Post video or we will not believe you.
Screaming Oh God GIF by Film Riot

Ruggiero seems like he would be a solid hire. It did take several seasons for the offense to click at WF, but the Deacons were bad and had less talent than Clawson/Ruggiero had at Bowling Green (or so they said).

No matter who is hired the offense isn’t likely to explode in one Spring and Fall camp. There will be a learning curve, there are holes in the roster, and a number of true freshman will be expected to contribute quickly.

Ruggerio is the done-more-with-less hire the board has clamored for. WF never had elite talent, so let’s focus on what the offense could be once the players carried over from 2022 and the incoming class begins to gel while Mario adds even more talent.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah i don't believe that line anymore from anyone, literally every coach ever says that
Though at least in Ruggiero's case there is evidence to support it. Just read an article about how the slow mesh came about. It was fully his own concept, modifying the RPO to match his talent deficit and the fact that a disgruntled ex employee that still had team access as a radio announcer for the team had been giving the playbook to opposing teams for a couple seasons! So the adaptability/creativity/intelligence is certainly there.

So @SWFLHurricane is reporting this is more than a rumor?

My initial take on WF: wasn’t their roster older than some NFL teams? Did that and Hartman lead to the success on O?

Well, we got Cam McCormick, so that sealed the deal...

Look, BYU is usually the oldest team in college football, and that doesn't guarantee undefeated seasons. You've got to harness the talent too.

Advertisement
Well, we got Cam McCormick, so that sealed the deal...

Look, BYU is usually the oldest team in college football, and that doesn't guarantee undefeated seasons. You've got to harness the talent too.

No one is waiting 4 years for our players to figure out a complex O and be harnessed is the point some are making I believe

Advertisement
No one is waiting 4 years for our players to figure out a complex O and be harnessed is the point some are making I believe

And I don't think anyone made that request either.

If you actually had to wait 4 years for college players to "figure out a complex O"...oh, nevermind, if you can't do the math, then I really shouldn't point out the error of your analysis...

The article listed earlier in this thread isn't that long but informative. Some coach was fired by Clawson but stayed on as a commentator. He gave the playbook out to opponents for em several years (not sure how i never heard of this). Due to this, Ruggiero had to change the offense pretty drastically and he came up with the slow mesh.

After they did the change they went from 20 ppg to 35 ppg the first year using the slow mesh. Obviously the 20 ppg were artificially low die to the cheating bit that's still a pretty big turnaround. It also shows two things people seem to be concerned about:
1) it doesn't appear it takes years to be good at
2) You don't have to redshirt everyone to learn the system

I still don't know if i like this hire but interesting.

True, you could also say it took time for him personally to tweak his offensive approach, and now is churning out points.

Nope. This offense was created in 2017. A former staffer had been selling their playbook to opposing teams since 2014. That argument goes out the window.

Advertisement
Back