Ward to the league...or maybe not...who the **** knows...but seriously...what the **** else better do you have to do?

And I’ll agree we dodged a bullet here as I get more tidbits on how this went down.

QB is the most important position in CFB by far. We need a leader through performance, trust, grit, and the ability to make those 4-5 plays a game that decide a winner.
It really don’t matters: If he is a headcase the staff should’ve recognized it and moved on weeks ago in order to get Howard or even Jefferson. Maybe we dodge a bullet with Ward but at what cost?

Advertisement
And yet nobody in the building was willing to listen to @apfenny3.

We didn’t have this man here making the final decision?

Tom Welling Dd GIF
Much respect for our former Cane.

Advertisement
Did I read it right that he didn't sign with an agent yet so he could keep his options open if things aren't looking good for the draft?

Could this kid possibly work out all spring like he's going to the draft, then decide in April go back to school because he doesn't like which way his draft grade/spot is trending?

There is a second transfer window in April/May.

Advertisement
Did I read it right that he didn't sign with an agent yet so he could keep his options open if things aren't looking good for the draft?

Could this kid possibly work out all spring like he's going to the draft, then decide in April go back to school because he doesn't like which way his draft grade/spot is trending?

There is a second transfer window in April/May.
Cant do that. He has a day to declare which I believe is Jan 15th. If he does not enter the draft his only option is to go back to college.

Serious follow-up - if the knock on the kid is small hands, what's another year in college going to do to address that specific deficiency? If his draft grades came back and talked about his decision-making, or accuracy, or even S&C I could see the kid being like "yeah another year might help." But if it's *just* small hands that are giving him a low grade (don't know that's true, just addressing the point) - his hands won't get any bigger next year so why not get the pro career started now and bet on himself to ball out enough to make it to that second contract?

My frustration is why didn't we (coaches) assume this was his thinking much earlier and move on? Was Ward's camp just pumping that much BS about staying in school that it fooled every grown man in our admin? It falls on Mario of course but where was Dawson? Where was Zo The Great And Powerful? Nobody saw this coming??

Very good questions.

Kenny Pickett has small hands too, and had to address it in the lead-up to the draft.

Pickett's college football fumbles (total/lost)

2017 - 1/1
2018 - 11/5
2019 - 10/2
2020 - 8/1
2021 - 6/3

So Picket basically got better year-over-year with fumbling less. His INTs were 1-6-9-9-7 for those five years too.

And Pickett is a really good recent example, because it was HIS final year that got him drafted so high. And he cut down on his turnovers, while cranking up his touchdown production.

So the real thing that "an extra year of college" does is to prove that you can address some of your weaknesses. And if you go back to my point earlier, if he is a "fifth round" pick in 2024 and can be a "second round" pick in 2025, it has a big impact on whether his new NFL team is looking to him as a future building-block, as opposed to a "practice squad" type of a guy.

And for the record, Zo wanted Howard over Ward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
According to Flo the reason Miami was confident in Ward is because Ward had signed an NIL agreement weeks ago.

If true the kid and his people are POS to do that and then go dark on UM. Point does remain however, the warning signs were there when he didn’t commit soon after the visit here, so we should have moved on. Just a ****e show all around.

Advertisement
Seat is gonna get very hot for cristobum this year
Are you from 5 years in the future? Otherwise you are too early. Y’all need to accept this. The 2020’s are Mario’s. The money will dry up if he doesn’t succeed. We will be the next Wake or GT. He will get every year of his contract and an early extension if he wins 10. Watch. They are all in

I can post the emails of multiple brands backing out of deals due to the nature of certain social media postings. When things get repeated despite a dozen plus warnings then there’s an issue.
His social media? Is getting his Ja Morant on while on live?

Is he a locker room cancer? Is he lazy or not a student of the game? A poor leader? Is he going jeopardize the season for a stupid decision?

Advertisement
Back