Want To Win A Title?

…better address the corching issues this off-season.

According to many posters here on CiS, in order to win a National Championship you have to get top talent (top 5 recruiting classes) for several classes.

Michigan and Washington (and TCU last season) blew this narrative out of the water.

Michigan’s average composite recruiting class score the past five years is 13th.

Washington’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 25th.

TCU’s average composite recruiting class the last five years is 30th.

That’s 3 out of the last 8 CFP teams (including the 2 finalists this season and the eventual champion) that have been on the low end talent wise according to the recruiting sites.

Coaching and play calling matters more than ever. Thanks to the transfer portal and NIL, there is more and more parity in the sport. Talent is obviously still important, but without competent coaching and play calling, we will not have a winning program again.

Mario better address these issues during the offseason, or his tenure here will be short.

…and for the “it took Harbaugh 9 years to win a title at Michigan” crowd, Harbaugh went 20-6 his 1st two seasons at Michigan, and was a proven college and NFL head coach. Comparing Cristobal to him is both asinine and disingenuous.

You’re approaching this incorrectly. It’s the blue chip ratio that matters and Michigan was 1 of 16 teams in the blue chip ratio that could win a championship. Washington and TCU were not, and did not win.

Coaching and a few breakout players can get you there but the blue chip ratio is still king.

Last edited:
Advertisement

According to many posters here on CiS, in order to win a National Championship you have to get top talent (top 5 recruiting classes) for several classes.

Michigan and Washington (and TCU last season) blew this narrative out of the water.

Michigan’s average composite recruiting class score the past five years is 13th.

That’s 3 out of the last 8 CFP teams (including the 2 finalists this season and the eventual champion) that have been on the low end talent wise according to the recruiting sites.

Coaching and play calling matters more than ever. Thanks to the transfer portal and NIL, there is more and more parity in the sport. Talent is obviously still important, but without competent coaching and play calling, we will not have a winning program again.

Mario better address these issues during the offseason, or his tenure here will be short.

…and for the “it took Harbaugh 9 years to win a title at Michigan” crowd, Harbaugh went 20-6 his 1st two seasons at Michigan, and was a proven college and NFL head coach. Comparing Cristobal to him is both asinine and disingenuous.
harbaughs only down year was the covid year really. the biggest knock on him was he couldnt get past OSU

Great post…what most here willfully forget is that there are more than one blueprint to winning a title and building a progrum.
Don’t be ridiculous.
The only way to win a title is by doing the the thing that miami is currently not doing well. Remember when Manny was here, the only way to win a title was by recruiting high end talent every year.
Now that we have a recruiter, that isn’t the case anymore and you need to be an awesome x and o’s coach to win.
If we had Lane as our HC, well, you would need a 4-3 defence and a to have a recruiter to win a national title.

I think you can have the best players or the best coaches. Both will get you far. Having both obviously wins the whole thing easily.

you clearly need 3 things to win a title

1. Coaching & Scheme

The teams that win or make it to the playoff are extremely well coached. Whether they are 4 and 5 Star recruits or not. They also have a physical offensive and defensive identity and scheme that works whether that’s through speed or power

2. Recruiting/Talent/Play Makers

Acquisition and evaluation of top tier talent whether it’s through HS recruiting or the portal is needed to be great. And developing and putting that talent in a position to maximize their skills is extremely important as well

3. Gameday Execution/Playing and Coaching Smart

The top teams rarely make bonehead mistakes or costly penalties. Their players seem confident in what they’re doing, and make the right football plays. Kind of goes back to coaching. You have to get lucky once or twice to win it all but being smart and executing every game helps the great teams limit the amount of luck they need throughout a season

Where I think Mario might be lacking:

Coaching/Scheme/Execution and Playing Smart - we’ve already seen in two seasons Mario struggles with Gameday decisions and the offensive identity he wants may be outdated or not modern day or creative enough to utilize skill players. Our players still play dumb and make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, bad football players, over celebration, etc.)

Mario may get us to 9-10 wins just on talent and good OL and DL physicality alone. But I’m very unsure he can take the next step of coaching Miami to a championship caliber program, which consists of elite Gameday play and execution across the whole staff and team

Advertisement
you clearly need 3 things to win a title

1. Coaching & Scheme

The teams that win or make it to the playoff are extremely well coached. Whether they are 4 and 5 Star recruits or not. They also have a physical offensive and defensive identity and scheme that works whether that’s through speed or power

2. Recruiting/Talent/Play Makers

Acquisition and evaluation of top tier talent whether it’s through HS recruiting or the portal is needed to be great. And developing and putting that talent in a position to maximize their skills is extremely important as well

3. Gameday Execution/Playing and Coaching Smart

The top teams rarely make bonehead mistakes or costly penalties. Their players seem confident in what they’re doing, and make the right football plays. Kind of goes back to coaching. You have to get lucky once or twice to win it all but being smart and executing every game helps the great teams limit the amount of luck they need throughout a season

Where I think Mario might be lacking:

Coaching/Scheme/Execution and Playing Smart - we’ve already seen in two seasons Mario struggles with Gameday decisions and the offensive identity he wants may be outdated or not modern day or creative enough to utilize skill players. Our players still play dumb and make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, bad football players, over celebration, etc.)

Mario may get us to 9-10 wins just on talent and good OL and DL physicality alone. But I’m very unsure he can take the next step of coaching Miami to a championship caliber program, which consists of elite Gameday play and execution across the whole staff and team
lost in the michigan winning is that they are well coached and it isnt even debatable. that is our biggest issue right now -- we have talent to win more thn we have in 2 years, but we lack the proepr coaching to get it done.

Before winning a title…

Want to win a bowl game?
Want to win a double digit season?
Want to do that in consecutive seasons?

Advertisement
The Jimmies

Jimmies and Joe's is the only way we'll get past that 10 win barrier. We're not outcoaching anyone so we'll have to out-talent them.
As long as Mario remains headstrong on the philosophy that he wants/believes in, I highly doubt that we will win 10 games. Specially with a QB room that is looking extremely weak.

You’re a great poster, and I highly respect you. But I cannot agree with you on this point.

I Miss You Hello GIF by Susanne Lamb

As long as Mario remains headstrong on the philosophy that he wants/believes in, I highly doubt that we will win 10 games. Specially with a QB room that is looking extremely weak.

You’re a great poster, and I highly respect you. But I cannot agree with you on this point.
You might have misunderstood my meaning. I'm saying there's no way Mario will be able to coach us into 10 wins, we'll have to do it with talent. I'm not predicting 10 wins next season, either.

Advertisement
Harbaugh is currently making slightly less than Mario on paper, but he has incentives that kick in based upon performance/results on the field.

In his 1st four years at UofM, he took them to 2 NY6 bowls. Not only was he 20-6 his first 2 yrs, but was 38-14 his first 4 yrs there (.730)

Those first 4 yrs brought good gesture, and the next two looked bleak, particularly Covid 2020. From 2021-present, UofM have been a perennial CFP participant. I would argue, that if Harbaugh didn’t start off solid, by the time he got to 2020, he would’ve been fired vs. given an ultimatum to earn his $$ moving fwd.

I know it was touchy after yr 5; but, years 1-4 helped tremendously in extending that grace.

And for the crowd that likes to point to the "inherited mess" to justify poor performance early on, go check out how the preceding 7 years at Michigan went under Rich Rod and Brady Hoke... One 10-win regular season (they won a bowl game, though), 3 mediocre seasons, and 3 miserable losing seasons. Harbaugh flipped the script in those first two seasons.

It's a heck of a lot easier to "see the path forward" in the long term when a HC is making actual strides forward in the W/L column in the short term.

You might have misunderstood my meaning. I'm saying there's no way Mario will be able to coach us into 10 wins, we'll have to do it with talent. I'm not predicting 10 wins next season, either.
Comparisons for a successful Mario model should be Gene Chizik 2010 and Ed Orgeron 2019, not coaches who are on the all-time list of great coaches.

Both those guys had stud QBs, right now we have Hufflepuff.

Advertisement
My apologies. I agree with you. In a perfect world, Mario hires an OC like Ken Dorsey, and lets Dorsey be in charge of all game day decisions (including timeout usage/down & distance decisions/all play calling), but I highly doubt that Mario can put his ego on the shelf and do what is best for the team.

I liken Mario to a guy like Ed Orgeron. A player’s coach that has a great personality and can recruit and coach his position group at a high level, but isn’t and will never be a scheme guy or play calling savant. Mario should copy the blueprint that Ed used at LSU, which was to hire a great OC and let the guy cook without interference.

All of our head coaches since Butch have been extremely stubborn, and that cost them their jobs.

Coker refused to let Berlin play full-time out of the shotgun, even though Berlin played lights out when in said formation, which ultimately cost us games.

Shannon was too much of a disciplinarian, and often played the less talented guys while keeping the talent in the dog house. He also over recruited several position groups, while ignoring others.

Folden hired a great OC (Fisch), but refused to fire his best friend after a number of disastrous seasons of defensive play. If Folden would have hired a different OC with an attacking philosophy and let him cook, his tenure here most likely would have been better.

Richt refused to fire his son, which he should have never hired as a QB coach, and also refused to hire a cutting edge OC and it ended up costing him and us, as I firmly believe that we could have won bigly with him if he would have just done those two things.

Manny adapted offensively after making mistakes in hiring, and I give him credit for that. His downfall was his lack of recruiting at certain positions, which cost him big time on the defensive side of the ball.

Mario is on the same path as these previously mentioned coaches, except he has a way worse record in his 1st two seasons here than any of the aforementioned. He has woefully underperformed as a game day coach, and our QB, CB and DT rooms are either a mess or not looking good. He has also failed to properly use a very talented TE room, as well as our RB’s as receivers out of the backfield.

Chris Johnson Jr. should have at minimum been used as a pass catcher out of the backfield this past season. Riley Williams and Arroyo (when healthy) are legit matchup advantages that were rarely thrown to. Robby Washington, Shemar Kirk and Tyler Harrell (all speed guys) collected dust on the bench. Brashard Smith should have gotten way more plays designed for him, but also was woefully underutilized.

Any competent HC would have found ways to get our speed guys involved in the game plan.

I love how people reach for outliers and think it's some kind of valid argument. Yes, TCU had a magical season, but look what happened when all their seniors left, they reverted right back to mediocrity, because they can't successfully reload high end talent. Michigan doesn't recruit as well as Alabama or Georgia and due to how top heavy the B1G is, they don't have to, they tower over the rest of that conference talent wise(Outside of Ohio State), because most of their peeer schools recruit like trash. It also helps to have a guy that was inches away from a Super Bowl leading your program. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Michigan took a step back this fall, because they are going to lose a fair amount of experienced talent. What happens when Michigan loses Harbaugh and a less talented coach takes over, with the talent on the roster? Exactly.

The whole Mario experiment is about SUSTAINABILITY. If we want an elite program that lasts, and isn't a "One Year Wonder", Miami will have to stack classes, develop that high end incoming talent along with hitting the portal for needs as they arise. That's pretty much the only proven way to do this thing. Look at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Texas, etc. Guess what those programs do year in and year out? They recruit, and outside of Texas, they have been in the hunt for years on end. Yes, you do need quality coaching, and that's something that can be corrected by building a strong staff. That's on your program CEO, and to be honest, Mario has had a mixed bag in regards to hiring. He's had some terrible ones(Gattis), some meh(Dawson) and a some strong ones(Guidry). The question is whether he can find the combo that works, and whether he can build a system that limits his shortcomings(Game management). If Miami is beating teams by a score regularly and not in dogfights against weaker teams, it won't matter if Mario botches a TO or gets flustered and doesn't call victory formation. Keep in mind, Jim Harbaugh, a **** good coach has just as many titles as Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron. It's a lot easier to be the last team standing if you stack high end talent, compared to hoping you hit on an elite coach.
Didn't bother reading the whole post. TCU had a magical season, but Miami can't even win 9 games on a regular basis. In the last 20 seasons, our magical season was 10 wins in 2017! Our fans are so worried about sustainability, yet we can't even win 10 games once a decade...

Advertisement
Back