Want To Win A Title?

I'm curious how many members of Michigan's O-line were blue chips and how many were developed?

Advertisement
If he wants to win the natty, then he needs to do some larger picture stuff, not just some specific scheme or specific coach stuff.

There are many reasons why those two teams ended up in the title game, but one of them is that throughout the season they were very disciplined and almost never received penalties. Now, some of that for us is skewed, because Miami is targeted by refs for bad calls, but it is also true that we are undisciplined.

The best thing that Mario could do is to become Bobby Bowden. Become that CEO, don’t worry about who gets credit, hold players accountable (cough-George-cough) and create a system for gametime decisions that circumvent his natural instincts.

He will win 10 games next year if he does this.

... you know what else matters more than ever; a quarterback who can read a simple zone defense.

We can go in circles about composite recruiting classes, but you're really gonna leave out that it was just JJ McCarthy against Michael Penix in the title game—beating teams with Quinn Ewers and Jalen Monroe in the Playoffs?

Florida State thrived with Jordan Travis for two years but looked like pure trash without him—while Carson Beck threw for just shy of 4,000 yards, 30 touchdowns and eight interceptions for the Georgia squad that just beat the brakes off the Noles... while Mario's old squad Oregon was who they were the past two years because of Heisman candidate Bo Nix.

Tyler Van Bust went to hëll in a handbag for Miami this year; 4-0 out the gate with 11 touchdowns and one interception. He threw for 374 yards and five touchdowns against Texas A&M and Miami thought it had its guy... until it didn't. The wheels fell off against Georgia Tech when their defense confused him and he coughed up 11 interceptions, two fumbles and had only five touchdowns against GT, UNC, UVA, NC State and back-up duty at FSU.

Van Yips was literally the difference between 11-2 or 10-3 this year and the 7-6 record that was delivered—but y'all want to keep screaming about coaching, despite the Canes having nothing to work with at quarterback once their starter forgot how to play the game.
Who's fault was it that they have nobody to play quarterback?

Ehh, Michigan is different than those other teams.

When you look at Michigans starting 22.

On offense, only 1 player was lower than a 4*. It just so happens to be Zak Zinter who is their best OL lol but JJ and Donovan Edwards were both 5*

On defense, there's 4 players that are 3*. Mike Barrett, Mikey Sainristil (was recruited as a WR, switched to CB and makes big-time plays), Rod Moore, and Josh Wallace (transfer from UMASS).

So 3/4 of their starting 22 is Blue Chippers.

Michigan is just better than every school at identifying talent and knowing how to develop them. And when I say talent, I mean kids who are low 4*, 3*, and kids through the portal.

And that starts with Harbaugh. And it starts with him finding his staff that he trusts (Tim Drevno/Pep Hamilton. Josh Gattis. Don Brown.) Eventually backing off play-calling duties. Changing the S&C. And building and setting the culture within the program.

The "team" as Michigan likes to say, may be corny to a lot of folks, but it's what got them this Natty. Its a team dedicated to each other, that's full of seniors, who have been through the pain of losing multiple CFPs.

Harbaughs pedigree was better than Marios when he got hired by Michigan than Marios is when he got hired at Miami. And you can't compare the two. Jim has developed players at CFB and NFL. He's literally been successful at every stop from Univ. of San Diego to Stanford to SF to Michigan. Mario does not have that lol

Mario should not be trying to build his team right now like the way Michigan has the past 3-4 years. Cause Mario isn't the coach Harbuagh is and I don't think he has the same level of coaching staff as Michigan does (not strictly coordinators. I also mean position coaches, analysts, etc).

Ultimately, I do think Mario wants to run the program similar to what Harbaugh and Michigan stand for. A team full of hard-working, mentally tough, selfless players, that have been developed into high-level starters. Kids that tackle in open space. Kids who don't commit bonehead penalties. Kids who are disciplined in their scheme and assignment. A team that has leaders in every room. All while being NFL players at the next level. That team can be a team full of blue-chippers if he can land the right ones.

So yeah, Mario needs blue-chippers to make up for the deficiency that he and his staff lack in coaching right now. Will it always be that way? Who knows. Probably. It would take a lot of pride swallowing for Mario to back off his staff and let them do their thing and just deliver them whatever they need to succeed (more staffers, nutrition, different types of players etc).

If you want to get rid of Mario and find our Harbaugh cause you want an HC who can develop kids into NFL players consistently, good luck. Cause they don't make a whole lot of Harbaughs and they're rarely available for hire..

I'm curious how many members of Michigan's O-line were blue chips and how many were developed?
Zak Zinter was a 3* recruit
LaDarius Henderson was a 4* transfer
Trevor Keegan was a 4* recruit
Drake Nugent was a 4* transfer
Karsen Barnhart was a 4* recruit
Trente Jones was a 4* recruit

Advertisement
The Jimmies

Jimmies and Joe's is the only way we'll get past that 10 win barrier. We're not outcoaching anyone so we'll have to out-talent them.

No one is "out coaching" other teams. Michigan has an elite roster. Washington had it all come together with junior/ senior talent on offense. Whenever these people come up with their version of an elite coach, that coach suddenly doesn't do as well without the same talented roster.

Advertisement
Their OL are all grad transfers or SR's which contribute to why they were so good as well.
Veterans on the line is an underrated quality. Offensive linemen have the highest development potential of pretty much any position besides maybe quarterback. The longer they stick around, the better they get. Grown man strength vs teenager strength.

Veterans on the line is an underrated quality. Offensive linemen have the highest development potential of pretty much any position besides maybe quarterback. The longer they stick around, the better they get. Grown man strength vs teenager strength.

Players, not play calls, for the win.

Advertisement
I sort of agree. Schemes have little to do with it - the team that won was tough and physical and not some spread out air raid like you all love.

But Michigan is extremely well coached and it’s obvious. They communicate well on defense. They communicate well on the o-line. Their players give max effort on every play. They know where to line up, know their assignments, and everyone does their job on every play without anyone being selfish and playing hero ball.

Basically the opposite of anything I’ve ever seen at UM since Butch.

They play with effort and discipline and high football IQ on every play, and we rarely do

According to many posters here on CiS, it’s Jimmy’s & Joe’s over X’s and O’s.

The narrative on here has been, just get top 5 classes and even Mario won’t be able to mess that up.

That is completely false. Our coaching better improve dramatically in all phases, or next season we will see more of the same.

…also, it would be great if we could find a quality QB. But as I’ve stated many times before, great QB’s will not come to Miami until Mario decides to become more of a CEO, and stops trying to run a system that doesn’t fit well with South Florida athletes.
I agree with you. It's not just one or the other. It's both.

Coaching matters a ton, and recruits matter a ton as well. Kirby Schmart put it well, it's 25% development, 50% recruits, and 25% coaching.

You could have the best coaching staff ever assembled, but if you give them UMass talent, they aren't going to do much against teams that have talent. However, even if Mario had Georgia's roster, they would still lose 1-3 games based on boneheaded gameday decisions.

Advertisement
Continuity. The systems really haven’t changed and they had experienced players everywhere who could execute what their coaches needed at a high level.

Guys like Julian Edelman weren’t the most talented but they could execute a game plan at an extremely high level.

If you match up bama, Georgia to Michigan by starter your taking the SEC players talent over 80 percent of the time.

Advertisement
Back