Walk-on Jared "Moose" Griffith

Hstokes1447

Junior
I believe this kid will earn a scholarship and become a starter for The U by his Redshirt JR season. Listed at 6-3 305 on the official roster, he is athletic enough to dunk a basketball, plays with a nasty streak, and is extremely smart. He played baseball growing up and didn't start playing football until he was a freshman in high school. IMO he has everything it takes to become a ALL-ACC center down the line.

2017 8A All-State 3rd team offensive lineman
Bench Press: 435
Squat: 565
Clean & Jerk: 340
High School GPA: 4.53

Senior Year Highlights

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Advertisement
Mean streak to me is steam rolling guys, while leading the way 10-15-20 yards down field, looking for the next guy to catch slipping.

Also...Question, how's his footwork look in your opinion?

Any hidden talents like singing?

Advertisement
I don't recall ever getting a walk on OL of this caliber. Most walkons lack size, strength, or overall athletic ability, which they may or may not gain. Griffith is coming in a grown man with PLENTY of strength, size, and athletic ability. Throw in the brains, which is HUGE for a young lineman trying to win a spot, and you have a pretty darn good recipe for success. Gonzalez was obviously a quality walk on, but back then no one had a clue about him until after he arrived and took a job. Griffith looks like a scholarship player before even getting here.

You throw a walk on with ability into the mix and everyone's going to work harder. No one wants to be passed by the walk on. Some will be, though.

Advertisement
Wow buddy “spotting” him on that squat was sketch.. but **** crazy how we got him as a walk on hope he gets that scholly

Advertisement
Considering some offers were Ivy League... That would be so hard to turn down.
I have to wonder, is he really all that smart to pass up a scholly to an Ivy league school to come prove himself here? Doesn't sound much like a "business decision". I absolutely respect it though. Hope he excels on the field as much as in the classroom.

Advertisement
Mean streak to me is steam rolling guys, while leading the way 10-15-20 yards down field, looking for the next guy to catch slipping.

Also...Question, how's his footwork look in your opinion?

Any hidden talents like singing?

I hear he also plays the flute in the orchestra and has a sweet falsetto singing voice.

ikoc

Last edited:
Gotta respect coming here on your own dollar when it’s 60 g a year. Especially considering he has a couple scholarship offers.

He could have received an academic scholarship. UM is actually pretty generous when it comes to getting an academic scholly, KEEPING one is a different story.

He could have received an academic scholarship. UM is actually pretty generous when it comes to getting an academic scholly, KEEPING one is a different story.

Agreed

Ivies don't really give athletic scholarships. To differing extents they can get creative with grant money and other forms of aid, but they don't have straight-up scholarship allotments like other D1 programs. With that said, if he had the grades to have a spot on multiple Ivy league teams, then he had the grades to get 75%+ scholarship to Miami

Advertisement
Back