Walk-on Jared "Moose" Griffith

I have to wonder, is he really all that smart to pass up a scholly to an Ivy league school to come prove himself here? Doesn't sound much like a "business decision". I absolutely respect it though. Hope he excels on the field as much as in the classroom.
Well, he wanted to be a Miami Hurricane, so that makes him pretty darn smart.

Seriously, though, he can get a great education at UM. In 4 years he will graduate and be able to say he played for the Miami Hurricanes. That's pretty darn sweet, if you ask me. Yeah, an Ivy League education is awesome, but so is being able to say you played football at the University of Miami, and get a degree from a great university.

Advertisement
Agreed

Ivies don't really give athletic scholarships. To differing extents they can get creative with grant money and other forms of aid, but they don't have straight-up scholarship allotments like other D1 programs. With that said, if he had the grades to have a spot on multiple Ivy league teams, then he had the grades to get 75%+ scholarship to Miami
He would not be allowed to play in a game if he is on ship and its not from the football team

I have to wonder, is he really all that smart to pass up a scholly to an Ivy league school to come prove himself here? Doesn't sound much like a "business decision". I absolutely respect it though. Hope he excels on the field as much as in the classroom.

Guess what.

Some people actually love the U.

I know it’s hard for some of you cumrags to believe. Especially all you “go get yours, young buck” types that are so prevalent in south Florida.

The kind of fans that make excuses for local players shltting on the hometown to go put on for the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Yeah, that’s right, there are are actually some kids that love the U enough, that it means that much to them, that they might give up bags, or going to an Ivy League school, to come to the U.

Probably hard to believe for the infestation of SEC slurpers we have here, like Tetratard.

This kid is a winner. Winners who attend UM and thrive can do anything they could have done anywhere else and more. The “more” being they can play football at the highest level too unlike some lame *** Ivy League ****.

Advertisement
He would not be allowed to play in a game if he is on ship and its not from the football team

You're misconstruing my post. I'm referencing Ivy league schools' practices of providing grants, reduced tuition, and aid to their football recruits in place of athletic scholarships.

Further, he can have an academic scholarship at UM and it have no bearing on his ability to play in games. What you're referencing is rules regarding athletic scholarships, in particular (i.e. the Santana Moss track approach of the past)

Not trying to be a smart ***, but that’s a lot of weight for a HS kid. I’ve been a weight lifter all my life, and...****, just ****.

Good luck Moose I’m pulling for you.

I believe this kid will earn a scholarship and become a starter for The U by his Redshirt JR season. Listed at 6-3 305 on the official roster, he is athletic enough to dunk a basketball, plays with a nasty streak, and is extremely smart. He played baseball growing up and didn't start playing football until he was a freshman in high school. IMO he has everything it takes to become a ALL-ACC center down the line.

2017 8A All-State 3rd team offensive lineman
Bench Press: 435
Squat: 565
Clean & Jerk: 340
High School GPA: 4.53

Senior Year Highlights

View attachment 61374

Did not rock Joe Weider belt and tank top with matching Zubaz pant.
Do not want.

(kidding. Like this kid).

Advertisement
I don't recall ever getting a walk on OL of this caliber. Most walkons lack size, strength, or overall athletic ability, which they may or may not gain. Griffith is coming in a grown man with PLENTY of strength, size, and athletic ability. Throw in the brains, which is HUGE for a young lineman trying to win a spot, and you have a pretty darn good recipe for success. Gonzalez was obviously a quality walk on, but back then no one had a clue about him until after he arrived and took a job. Griffith looks like a scholarship player before even getting here.

You throw a walk on with ability into the mix and everyone's going to work harder. No one wants to be passed by the walk on. Some will be, though.

Exactly. Size, strength, footwork, skill, and SMARTS to boot?

That's about as good as it gets.

I'd like to see him earn that scholarship!

Considering some offers were Ivy League... That would be so hard to turn down.

Obviously he is certain about his gender, male, and his preferences, female. If you know those two things, there is nnothing to learn at those schools —- you just don’t fit in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A man has a right to his own fate.

You guys have no reason to know this or believe this, but my mothers side of the family saw that I had an acumen for medicine, and offered to pay my room, board and tuition to get my shingle at an ivy school.

I said no. Not the least of which was it was a thumb I would never get out from under.

This young man WANTS to come here. Ala a Braxton Berrios and Rusty Medearis.

Why should we complain about a man doing exactly what he wants to do?

Last edited:
Probably will work into a schollie. He is most likely better than some of the people that have been carried with schollie's on the roster for years now.

Advertisement
As my name suggests I’m class of 21. I toured 32 schools before picking Miami. My mother may never forgive me but I turned down a couple Ivy’s, UVA, UNC, and Emory to go to the U, and I would make the same decision again. If it wasn’t for the network, unique location and opportunities being in Miami presents, and the work that Frenk and Quelch have been putting in to make the Bus school more of a household name, I wouldn’t be where I am right now.

Last edited:
They key to a lot of great O-lines is they have guys who play with the attitude of D-Lineman. The spit on the carpet types, as one famous old coach used to say.

I believe him and a walk on RB with Ivy League offers are both on academic scholarships here. I think the RB is Larson or something like that.

Joaquin Gave up a full ride at Harvard to walk on here but I agree it's not the smartest thing to do.

Advertisement
Back