Walk-on Jared "Moose" Griffith

You're misconstruing my post. I'm referencing Ivy league schools' practices of providing grants, reduced tuition, and aid to their football recruits in place of athletic scholarships.

Further, he can have an academic scholarship at UM and it have no bearing on his ability to play in games. What you're referencing is rules regarding athletic scholarships, in particular (i.e. the Santana Moss track approach of the past)
False. The academic ship would transfer to a football ship if he played one play. Otherwise Bama would have 100 football players on academic ship.

Advertisement
False. The academic ship would transfer to a football ship if he played one play. Otherwise Bama would have 100 football players on academic ship.

No, because the academic scholarships are based on specific laid out criteria (scale of GPA and test score) which are equally accessible to all accepted applicants. Further, the academic scholarships require achieving and maintaining a certain college GPA in order to keep the scholarship.

Most UM students have some semblance of academic scholarship. Do you think every walk-on who has ever played a snap for UM has either proceeded to have his scholarship transfer to become an athletic football scholarship or has had no scholarship, at all?

Guaranteed that Moose as a true Freshman will hold his own in the weight room versus any upperclassman. And big Cleveland ain't no slouch either with the iron.

I'd put Moose at Center so that he can contribute immediately while teaching him all of the footwork and technique needed for Guard. I think he'd be a great Center for us, though.

I'm going to beat this drum all season: When you've got walk-on talent like Moose entering your room, I don't want to hear any excuses for not physically dominating teams up front.

Advertisement
I have to wonder, is he really all that smart to pass up a scholly to an Ivy league school to come prove himself here? Doesn't sound much like a "business decision". I absolutely respect it though. Hope he excels on the field as much as in the classroom.

Because there's more than one chance to go to Harvard, but only one opportunity to be a Hurricane?

It amazes me how little regard for UM the institution some of our fans have.

Here's a kid whose brains match his balls and he's "dumb" for choosing UM?

Do you realize how many UM alumni go on to top tier Medical, Law, and Business schools? Let alone one that will be a multi-year letterman.

He has big goals on the field and off, if he maintains the academic track record he is clearly capable of he will get a chance at an Ivy league degree.

No, because the academic scholarships are based on specific laid out criteria (scale of GPA and test score) which are equally accessible to all accepted applicants. Further, the academic scholarships require achieving and maintaining a certain college GPA in order to keep the scholarship.

Most UM students have some semblance of academic scholarship. Do you think every walk-on who has ever played a snap for UM has either proceeded to have his scholarship transfer to become an athletic football scholarship or has had no scholarship, at all?
NCAA Rules for Academic Scholarships
There is something in the NCAA, it’s called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a “counter” in terms of scholarships.

Why is that? Just imagine if schools could freely give athletes scholarships for academic qualifications instead of athletic abilities. There’s no limit on the number of academic (or merit) scholarships that colleges and universities can award. And there are no minimum qualifications. Schools give out scholarships for music, art, drama, leadership, and community service without demanding excessive academic qualifications.

Advertisement
I have to wonder, is he really all that smart to pass up a scholly to an Ivy league school to come prove himself here? Doesn't sound much like a "business decision". I absolutely respect it though. Hope he excels on the field as much as in the classroom.
He will do grad school at an Ivy......

As my name suggests I’m class of 21. I toured 32 schools before picking Miami. My mother may never forgive me but I turned down a couple Ivy’s, UVA, UNC, and Emory to go to the U, and I would make the same decision again. If it wasn’t for the network, unique location and opportunities being in Miami presents, and the work that Frenk and Quelch have been putting in to make the Bus school more of a household name, I wouldn’t be where I am right now.

Best of luck to you! I am the parent of two UM students - one who graduated twice from the university(BS and MS degrees) and a current class of 2020 Business school student. I couldn't agree with you more - we, too , saw every school under the sun, including many of the top ranked business schools in the country. As a parent, I couldn't be happier with our investment in the U.

There is something in the NCAA, it’s called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a “counter” in terms of scholarships.

Why is that? Just imagine if schools could freely give athletes scholarships for academic qualifications instead of athletic abilities. There’s no limit on the number of academic (or merit) scholarships that colleges and universities can award. And there are no minimum qualifications. Schools give out scholarships for music, art, drama, leadership, and community service without demanding excessive academic qualifications.

FWIW, Miami gives out a number of scholarships that are publicly and directly tied to SAT/ACT scores. They are published in the University handbook. While I am not familiar with EVERY scholarship qualification, I can tell you that the ones deemed Presidential Scholarships cover 1 full semester tuition - this year that is worth roughly $23k. There are others that cover full year tuition and also provide a stipend. Again, there are stringent academic qualifications that are well published. I would imagine that these kinds of scholarships would not affect any kind of athletic counter. Students who receive them must maintain a certain GPA each semester or they can lose them.

Here is the exemption:

15.02.7 Honorary Academic Award/Research Grant. An honorary academic award for outstanding academic achievement or a research grant is an award that meets the following criteria: (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/10/92, 10/28/04, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08)
(a) The award or grant is a standing scholarship award or an established research grant;
(b) The basis for the award or grant shall be the candidate's academic record at the awarding institution;
(c) The award or grant shall be determined by competition among the students of a particular class or college of the institution. Competition for the award or grant may include additional objective criteria unrelated to athletics abilities (e.g., gender, race and ethnicity, financial need); and
(d) The award or grant is included in determining if the student-athlete's cost-of-attendance limitation has been met.

Guarantee you he qualified for the Presidential Scholarship which is open for all students based on GPA and SAT/ACT score. My son got a Presidential Scholarship offer of $25,000 per year. Comes with an automatic Foote Fellowship. Turned it down because he is on full scholarship through Air Force ROTC.

My son turned down the Air Force Academy where he was offered a preferred walk-on slot to play lacrosse to go to Miami.

Advertisement
Because there's more than one chance to go to Harvard, but only one opportunity to be a Hurricane?

It amazes me how little regard for UM the institution some of our fans have.

Here's a kid whose brains match his balls and he's "dumb" for choosing UM?

Do you realize how many UM alumni go on to top tier Medical, Law, and Business schools? Let alone one that will be a multi-year letterman.

He has big goals on the field and off, if he maintains the academic track record he is clearly capable of he will get a chance at an Ivy league degree.

My son chose Miami over the Air Force Academy because he thought he would get a more concentrated aeronautical engineering degree at Miami and a better chance to go to Georgia Tech for grad school before pilot training. 50 kids in the aero program and he will be 1 of 3 who are in AFROTC. Where else can you get that type of attention? Yes, Miami has a wind tunnel which matters.

This kid made a great decision. Wants to play BCS-level football for a program on the rise and get a Top 50 academic education.

Congrats to your son Pentagon Cane, sounds like he’s got a fantastic life plan laid out. Now just the hard part of actually doing it but I’m sure he will make it there in spades mate. Good parenting

Guess what.

Some people actually love the U.

I know it’s hard for some of you cumrags to believe. Especially all you “go get yours, young buck” types that are so prevalent in south Florida.

The kind of fans that make excuses for local players shltting on the hometown to go put on for the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Yeah, that’s right, there are are actually some kids that love the U enough, that it means that much to them, that they might give up bags, or going to an Ivy League school, to come to the U.

Probably hard to believe for the infestation of SEC slurpers we have here, like Tetratard.

I see you started drinking early on Friday afternoon. This situation has nothing to do with the typical SEC narrative we see on here.

Advertisement

Interesting. Can’t say I’ve ever researched the rules. Just going off of experience and prior communications.

I guess it just comes down to what fits into the referenced exemptions.

Given how much academic scholarship Miami gives out, I have to imagine we’ve had numerous walk-ons in the past with some semblance of scholarship that played in games without it counting towards our numbers (ie nantambu fentress before he earned a scholly). But, I don’t really know.

Thanks for sharing

Here is the exemption:

15.02.7 Honorary Academic Award/Research Grant. An honorary academic award for outstanding academic achievement or a research grant is an award that meets the following criteria: (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/10/92, 10/28/04, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08)
(a) The award or grant is a standing scholarship award or an established research grant;
(b) The basis for the award or grant shall be the candidate's academic record at the awarding institution;
(c) The award or grant shall be determined by competition among the students of a particular class or college of the institution. Competition for the award or grant may include additional objective criteria unrelated to athletics abilities (e.g., gender, race and ethnicity, financial need); and
(d) The award or grant is included in determining if the student-athlete's cost-of-attendance limitation has been met.

Guarantee you he qualified for the Presidential Scholarship which is open for all students based on GPA and SAT/ACT score. My son got a Presidential Scholarship offer of $25,000 per year. Comes with an automatic Foote Fellowship. Turned it down because he is on full scholarship through Air Force ROTC.

My son turned down the Air Force Academy where he was offered a preferred walk-on slot to play lacrosse to go to Miami.

Thanks for posting. That’s the exact sort of situation I was referring to. And congrats to your son!

Good to know this stuff in a little more detail.

Congrats on your son. My nephew turned down a full ride to Miami to go to the air force academy. I whooped his *** before I congratulated him.

My son chose Miami over the Air Force Academy because he thought he would get a more concentrated aeronautical engineering degree at Miami and a better chance to go to Georgia Tech for grad school before pilot training. 50 kids in the aero program and he will be 1 of 3 who are in AFROTC. Where else can you get that type of attention? Yes, Miami has a wind tunnel which matters.

This kid made a great decision. Wants to play BCS-level football for a program on the rise and get a Top 50 academic education.

Advertisement
Back