Waiting on N'kosi Perry

Richt was on WQAM this morning and said there's a good chance he names a leader at QB after Spring but they're waiting on Perry to come in this summer and "see what he can do." Seems like this one could go all the way to the Fall.

Not sure why this is surprising. They've been repeating this for weeks.

I didn't believe it before. I didn't think they would bring a freshman in during the summer and start him. Apparently, they might.

CMR has no choice !

He told Perry he would have a chance to come in and compete for the starting job. He cant go back on his word.

Advertisement
They'll be rotating to QBs to start the season.

Unless we're blowing someone out and it's the backup in the late 2nd quarter, 3rd, etc., this is trouble. Never been a fan of rotating QB's. If we don't have a 100% for sure starter by Game 1, I'll be nervous.

We'll be blowing people out for the first two games. I would guess a "real" starter is named before FSU, and I'd wager they stick with him after that unless something catastrophic happens. Remember, after FSU we get Toledo, Duke on the road, GT at home, and Syracuse at home before traveling to UNC. IMO, even if all we do is hand off to Walton, eat clock, and let the defense take care of business we can win 6 of our first 7 games without a lot of drama.

Personally I expect a fall camp "battle" with each QB getting reps and most likely Rosier to be named the game 1 starter against Bethune. I expect Rosier to start for the 1st half against BCC and then at least 2 other QBs rotate in the 2nd half once we're up by 3 scores. Rinse and repeat for Arky St - if one of the young cats is outplaying Rosier by then, he'll get more reps. Between fall camp and that live action game film, Richt will name an FSU starter, whether it's Rosier or one of the young guys. I think he sticks with whoever he names vs. FSU hopefully through the rest of the season.

I understand this, and don't completely disagree.

However, let me play devil's advocate, sort of...

Let's say Rosier starts game 1 and 2 (with other offensive starters, obviously), but Perry outplays him in the 2nd half of each game and in practice. So now Perry is the starter working with the O starters vs FSU for the first time in a game setting?

I think it's obvious Richt genuinely feels Perry has the talent to come in and start or he wouldn't keep stating that he wants to take a look at what he can do in the fall.

As for this rotating 4 different Qbs garbage...... Nope. Pick a starter and go run with it! Barring injury there should be only be the starter and backup with legitimate shots at playing FSU and that should be decided by the end of the first game. The starter needs to have the confidence and reassurance that the coaching staff believes in him going into FSU.

We beat FSU we are in the Top 10; with a legitimate shot at the playoffs considering the rest of the schedule. Biggest FSU game in years.

Advertisement

Unless we're blowing someone out and it's the backup in the late 2nd quarter, 3rd, etc., this is trouble. Never been a fan of rotating QB's. If we don't have a 100% for sure starter by Game 1, I'll be nervous.

We'll be blowing people out for the first two games. I would guess a "real" starter is named before FSU, and I'd wager they stick with him after that unless something catastrophic happens. Remember, after FSU we get Toledo, Duke on the road, GT at home, and Syracuse at home before traveling to UNC. IMO, even if all we do is hand off to Walton, eat clock, and let the defense take care of business we can win 6 of our first 7 games without a lot of drama.

Personally I expect a fall camp "battle" with each QB getting reps and most likely Rosier to be named the game 1 starter against Bethune. I expect Rosier to start for the 1st half against BCC and then at least 2 other QBs rotate in the 2nd half once we're up by 3 scores. Rinse and repeat for Arky St - if one of the young cats is outplaying Rosier by then, he'll get more reps. Between fall camp and that live action game film, Richt will name an FSU starter, whether it's Rosier or one of the young guys. I think he sticks with whoever he names vs. FSU hopefully through the rest of the season.

Let's say Rosier starts game 1 and 2 (with other offensive starters, obviously), but Perry outplays him in the 2nd half of each game and in practice. So now Perry is the starter working with the O starters vs FSU for the first time in a game setting?

They'll all be getting game action the first two games, even if Rosier starts. So yes, if Perry outplays him in practice AND in the 2nd half of each game he'll get the nod vs. FSU. It sucks that FSU is game 3 but at some point you have to throw somebody into the fire. It's not like Rosier is a 3-year starter. He has the most in-game experience (which is why I think he'll be the "starter" for the first game) but he's far from entrenched. I think Richt will play whoever he feels gives us the best chance to beat FSU, whether it's Rosier, Perry, or anyone else.

Richt was on WQAM this morning and said there's a good chance he names a leader at QB after Spring but they're waiting on Perry to come in this summer and "see what he can do." Seems like this one could go all the way to the Fall.

Not sure why this is surprising. They've been repeating this for weeks.

I didn't believe it before. I didn't think they would bring a freshman in during the summer and start him. Apparently, they might.

Didn't Kaaya do that? Or was he an EE? I don't remember tbh.

I'm guessing Rosier also, but who knows. One thing is for sure, someone will be looking to transfer after it's all done! May the best QB win.

I might think rosier or Allison transfers depending on who doesn't get it.

They'll all be getting game action the first two games, even if Rosier starts. So yes, if Perry outplays him in practice AND in the 2nd half of each game he'll get the nod vs. FSU. It sucks that FSU is game 3 but at some point you have to throw somebody into the fire. It's not like Rosier is a 3-year starter. He has the most in-game experience (which is why I think he'll be the "starter" for the first game) but he's far from entrenched. I think Richt will play whoever he feels gives us the best chance to beat FSU, whether it's Rosier, Perry, or anyone else.

I get that. I just think getting extensive work with the starters in real games would benefit the QB greatly. Not coming in vs FSU with only practice reps with the starting OL, WR's, etc. I'll just hold out hope whomever the starter is in Game 1, is the guy.

Advertisement
I'm fine with rolling out a few QBs, but we better have our minds made up before FSU, those first two games are cupcakes so whoever undeniably runs away with the job is who you have to put out when we go to doak.

I get that. I just think getting extensive work with the starters in real games would benefit the QB greatly. Not coming in vs FSU with only practice reps with the starting OL, WR's, etc. I'll just hold out hope whomever the starter is in Game 1, is the guy.

I agree with you and I could be wrong, that's just how I see it playing out with our schedule. Ideally you'd like to see whoever starts game 1 start all season long - certainly makes the coaches' lives easier!

Advertisement
I think we should pick a starter and stay with it. Fsu is week 3 and our qb needs all the experience they can get. Playing musical chairs at the position won't benefit us

I don't think Richt will be using the first two games as a trial run if he doesn't have to. There won't be a plan to figure this whole thing out on the field against live competition. He said he might name a leader and maybe co-leaders as Spring finishes up. That obviously leaves the door open for Perry to blow everyone out of the water. I don't think thats a likely scenario but we'll see.

If one guy is truly the guy he'll call him the starter and any hypothetical second half performances against below average competition won't change the depth chart. If it was truly open you might as well be alternating QBs every two drives or so with the starters in the first half. Richt will pick a guy and stick with him unless that guy fails do to what Richt believes a QB in his system should be doing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From what I've seen, there isn't a ton of separation yet.

A tie would probably go to Rosier because of his in-game experience, but if they believe in N'Kosi I could easily see a platoon.

I think we should pick a starter and stay with it. Fsu is week 3 and our qb needs all the experience they can get. Playing musical chairs at the position won't benefit us

Yep. I'm not a fan of multiple QB's and whoever we go with will need the reps in the 1st 2 games.

From what I've seen, there isn't a ton of separation yet.

A tie would probably go to Rosier because of his in-game experience, but if they believe in N'Kosi I could easily see a platoon.

I get this feeling that if Perry picks up the offense and doesn't make a lot of mistakes that he'll be the guy. No one else is doing enough and none, except for Weldon, are Richt's guys.

Advertisement
Back