W-L that Gets Diaz Extension or Relieved

Advertisement
This has more of a chance of occurring than literally any team in college football running a coach out there who improves his win total for three straight seasons without an extension.
BUT........ is it more of chance than a "defensive minded" head coach's team giving up 565 yards rushing and 62 points vs an ACC rival though?????

Advertisement
good game gg GIF

21 season is year 3, 22 season is year four. We’d be asking kids to sign in December with a coach with a year left on his deal.
Michigan just did it after an AWFUL season and in the actual contract year for Harbaugh. Got a top 10 class according to 247 composite. And there is nothing prohibiting us from reaching an agreement during the 2022 season as well.

Signing Diaz prematurely after this season is too steep an alternative just to avoid other teams possibly being able to negatively recruit us for a month.

Unless Manny convinces us beyond shadow of a doubt he is the guy moving forward, the circumstances are so in his favor that simply a "good" year this year does not give confidence he can replicate success without ideal conditions.

Advertisement
21 season is year 3, 22 season is year four. We’d be asking kids to sign in December with a coach with a year left on his deal.
This is the exact reason schools take that gamble and eat the buyout.

Michigan just did it after an AWFUL season and in the actual contract year for Harbaugh. Got a top 10 class according to 247 composite. And there is nothing prohibiting us from reaching an agreement during the 2022 season as well.

Signing Diaz prematurely after this season is too steep an alternative just to avoid other teams possibly being able to negatively recruit us for a month.

Unless Manny convinces us beyond shadow of a doubt he is the guy moving forward, the circumstances are so in his favor that simply a "good" year this year does not give confidence he can replicate success without ideal conditions.
Agreed. Extending him too early just sets us up for for another typical Miami situation where we have to hold on to the coach for an extra 2-3 years because buyout is too expensive. Why not just let it play out. It’s not like Diaz will get a better coaching gig if he has a 8-9 win season. Nobody is gonna come calling for him. Now if he wins the ACC or makes the playoffs then we can talk extension.

Advertisement

My understanding is that Harbaugh made some major concessions in his new deal with Michigan. Takes two.

Empirical Muppetopian Slayer is doing the board a service with this thread. It’s another opportunity for those who didn’t vote in the Acceptable Progress Poll thread to go on record with a measurable bottom line for Manny - this one on the extension side.

I hope all of those future posters crying for or against an extension during or after the season will have registered their standard by which Manny should be judged ahead of time rather than just show up howling to those who took a stand in advance.

Now with that being said, I think 10-2 should get Manny another year. I think 11-1 should get him a multi-year extension. I think that they’ll decide during the season for recruiting and so at 6-1 with the only loss to Bama, and us beating UNC and NC State - that’s the earliest I’d do it and I’d prefer after FSU.
Let me clarify, in case this was disputed. I have ZERO faith in the athletic department hiring a good replacement for Manny Diaz as the HIRING of Manny Diaz was a complete sham. So just because I am not chanting 15-0 ad nauseum does not mean I like Manny. I can set my watch to Manny getting fired after year 4 but not before him prematurely being extended for no good reason. All of you trying to axe Manny in year 3 can look forward to Rod Carey being our next head coach. Let's start debating on how bad a coach he is right now and how he will be our coach through 2026.

I've seen this show before. It's a rerun.

Shannon 2.0
Golden 2.0

Advertisement
My understanding is that Harbaugh made some major concessions in his new deal with Michigan. Takes two.
That he did, roughly 60% of his previous annual salary iirc. This now leads into a whole new discussion regarding the seesaw between a new contract in general versus a new one based on AD's leverage (Miami has leverage, Blake actually taking advantage is a massive ask).

If Manny gets a shorter extension after '21 with a lower salary and smaller buyout percentages then maybe I'll live, but operating under standard extension precedent, Miami should not extend after '21 barring a GREAT, not good, season.

Barring some extenuating circumstances to 2021 season, what record gets Manuela an extension (or at least talk of one) and what gets him fired?

15-0 Natty - Extension
14-1 - Extension
13-1 - Extension?
12-1 - Extension?
11-1 - Extension?
10-2 - Extension?
9-3 - 😐
8-4 - 😐
7-5 - 😐
6-6 - Fired?
5-7 - Fired?
4-8 - Fired*
3-9 - Fired*
2-10 - Fired*
1-11 - Fired*
0-12 - Fired*

*probably mid-season

Obviously a few other W-L permutations that get Miami to ACCCG. If they make it and lose, extension?

What if Miami beats Bama, will James hand him an extension before they hit the tarmac at MIA (unlikely, but we are talking James here)?

What if Miami starts 0-3? or 1-2? Has BoT seen enough of Lashlee to formally give him the keys** to determine if he can be Greentree's Dabo Wabo?

**Who gets promoted to Interim DC then? Simpson? T-Rob?

I've been led to believe that we're going to go 15-0, so anything less and BJ and MD should get fired.

Serious answer: Don't get ******* pantsed by your opponents over and over again, win your division, and we can consider keeping you. I'll allow Mandy one blowout loss to either Baga or clem$on, but not both. Any more UNC type debacles should literally be his last day on the job, Lane Kiffin at USC style.

Let me clarify, in case this was disputed. I have ZERO faith in the athletic department hiring a good replacement for Manny Diaz as the HIRING of Manny Diaz was a complete sham. So just because I am not chanting 15-0 ad nauseum does not mean I like Manny. I can set my watch to Manny getting fired after year 4 but not before him prematurely being extended for no good reason. All of you trying to axe Manny in year 3 can look forward to Rod Carey being our next head coach. Let's start debating on how bad a coach he is right now and how he will be our coach through 2026.

I've seen this show before. It's a rerun.

Shannon 2.0
Golden 2.0

The only place I disagree with you is that I feel strongly we've reached the point that Mandy is Blake's Maginot line. If one falls, so does the other.

That being said, I share your lack of faith in the school actually cleaning up the athletic department and hiring someone competent to run it.

So, I guess we'll have to agree to agree.

Advertisement
Back